This Week's New and Improved Meaningless Topic (#26) (March 6)

Hi all. After a hiatus during which we arranged for the last ROORD novel to go up on Amazon, I have started flying again, this time in support of our new novel centering on the Pacific War. Because I am flying P3D4, I still have access to all those great freeware plane from the good old days. Which leads to this week's meaningless topic.

THIS WEEK'S MEANINGLESS TOPIC:  Which freeware planes have you most enjoyed over the years? (Manfred Jahn's C-47 anyone?)

Some, actually many, years ago I had a L188 Electra, with an inexpensive panel software called "VIP" ("Very Impressive Panels").  This was in FS5a.  It was a great plane.  I've tried a couple of similar models in FSX, but none worked out for me.  Now I've invested many $s in building a simpit for single engine GA, so a four engine turboprop won't work now.

Ken

11 minutes ago, Ken Q said:

Some, actually many, years ago I had a L188 Electra, with an inexpensive panel software called "VIP" ("Very Impressive Panels").  This was in FS5a.  It was a great plane.  I've tried a couple of similar models in FSX, but none worked out for me.  Now I've invested many $s in building a simpit for single engine GA, so a four engine turboprop won't work now.

Ken

A single-engine sim pit? Tell us more!

There have been so many going back years. In FS98 and FS 2000 the vast majority of aircraft we used were freeware. There certainly have been some great ones. The original R4D from Jan Visser and company. Manfred Jahn's C-47 is still spectacular, but I cannot get the PBR version to work in P3DV5. I think Milton Shupe's series of excellent freeware has to take the cake. Especially the Beech D-18. At the time it was better than all the payware D-18s on the market.

My two cents.

Greg

29 minutes ago, gregmorin said:

There have been so many going back years. In FS98 and FS 2000 the vast majority of aircraft we used were freeware. There certainly have been some great ones. The original R4D from Jan Visser and company. Manfred Jahn's C-47 is still spectacular, but I cannot get the PBR version to work in P3DV5. I think Milton Shupe's series of excellent freeware has to take the cake. Especially the Beech D-18. At the time it was better than all the payware D-18s on the market. My two cents.

Greg

Milton Shupe's planes just keep getting better and better, don't they? Can't go wrong with anything he does.

59 minutes ago, Rodger Pettichord said:

A single-engine sim pit? Tell us more!

For pictures and description see Tom Tsui's website:

FSXTimes. WordPress. com.  It is in Cockpit section, under "Cockpit: Ken (KFRG, USA)  -  New"

That is from about July, 2019.  I just replaced the Saitek radio panels and VRInsight transponder with new units from PropwashSIM.com.  Tom has a picture of this too, "Cockpit: Ken (KFRG, USA) - Update."  This is a temporary modification; as soon as the weather warms enough to work out in the garage I'm going to rebuild the whole thing.

Ken

20 minutes ago, Ken Q said:

For pictures and description see Tom Tsui's website:

FSXTimes. WordPress. com.  It is in Cockpit section, under "Cockpit: Ken (KFRG, USA)  -  New"

That is from about July, 2019.  I just replaced the Saitek radio panels and VRInsight transponder with new units from PropwashSIM.com.  Tom has a picture of this too, "Cockpit: Ken (KFRG, USA) - Update."  This is a temporary modification; as soon as the weather warms enough to work out in the garage I'm going to rebuild the whole thing.

Ken

Here is the direct link to the Feb 2 update.  In the text there is a link to the whole thing from July 2019:

Https:FSXTIMES.WordPress. com/2021/02/03/cockpit-ken+kfrg-usa-update

Ken

5 minutes ago, Ken Q said:

Here is the direct link to the Feb 2 update.  In the text there is a link to the whole thing from July 2019:

Https:FSXTIMES.WordPress. com/2021/02/03/cockpit-ken+kfrg-usa-update

Ken

Wow and wow again, Ken. What a beautiful cockpit. May I ask what sort of display unit(s) you use? 

2 hours ago, Rodger Pettichord said:

Wow and wow again, Ken. What a beautiful cockpit. May I ask what sort of display unit(s) you use? 

The main display is a 32" LG tv.  I have a 7" monitor on the right of the panel. I use it primarily for the WX radar, but it can display any other panel as desired.  The GPS is a Diagma unit, which came with its own display.  Diagma seems to have gone out of business. Propwash sells a similar unit at a much better price.  I'd like to eventually build a fully immersive cockpit like "Basement Fly Guy" (on the glideslope.net).

Hello,

I was also a part of that development team, along with Ted (TuFun) and many others far more

skilled than I will ever be.

It was a pleasure to be a small part of something that ended up as good as this aircraft model is.

In my experience, there are only a handful of freeware aircraft models that can match it,

the Project Tupolev Tu-154B-2 being one of them.

You need FSX to enjoy that one and that on its own is a reason to keep it.

The Tu154 is also a legendary aircraft, it can be landed on a disused military airstrip that is far far

too short with no flaps and no electrical power at all and plough through a wood before coming to

a halt with not one injury to anyone on board.

Then it can be fixed  and flown out.

This article and the many links inside it are worth a read.

https://www.airlinereporter.com/2011/11/the-lucky-tupolev-tu-154-alrosa-flight-514-crash-and-recovery/

This is one of my favourite aviation images:

TU154f.jpg

Archived