Guard Duty at Bryce Canyon

BradB

32 minutes ago, Wakashi said:

John, I do believe you are right, I think I caught him peeking from one of the hanger windows!  He just pops up on occasion I think! :rolleyes:   He is doing a fine job for you! 

hJ0yTuD.jpg

Love it Roger ,  one of my all time favorite shows  Hogans Heroes. 

Absolutely fantastic John!

I loved it.:)

My first reaction to "Schlutz" was "cardboard cutout"

I don't want to "highjack" your thread , but I need to relate a very true story to you. So here goes

I worked on a very large construction project that had components built for it in many diverse regions of the world. By components I mean massive and the fabrication yards for them employed hundreds of skilled workers at each site.

Every Monday morning the VP in charge of the project would hold a video conference and each fabrication site in turn would let us know how things were going (there were about 10 or so in all).  Our VP was a wonderful man, but was also a bit "larger than life" who knew what he wanted , when he wanted it , and how he wanted it and wasn't shy about telling you. 

However I learned early on that was just his style and by  acting that way he made sure that people were thinking about what they were doing and why they were doing it. And always utmost in his mind was the health and safety of all the workers at all the construction sites. As much as you were "grilled " in these sessions he was always supportive with your best efforts.  And we strived to always deliver that. 

Unfortunately , the last site on the video list was also the most remote and video technology of the day often suffered from "lags" and at times poor quality images. The folks who managed this site were always on schedule with a top safety record and usually didn't have much to say.

So unbeknownst to us, they came up with the idea to have full scale cardboard cutouts made of themselves to sit at the video conference table for the sessions. They were still in the room but usually working away in the background and all we saw were the images. With the video issues we couldn't tell what was going on.

Well , one day our VP asked a very pointed question of them , and in their rush to get back to the table , they managed to knock over the cardboard cutouts and the jig was up!  To my dying day, I will never forget the look of absolute incredibility on my managers face .  To put it succinctly , he exploded :o

From then on, the decree went out - in the oddest email I have ever seen which started as "Due to unforeseen circumstances only REAL people will hence forth be allowed to participate in the Monday morning video conference."

Not to be outdone, we all reacted and had either a "T" shirt or cap made with the caption "Underneath is a REAL PERSON". When he saw that on the first morning , he laughed so hard he was crying and life was good and back to normal again:) I loved the good times like that in my working career

Cheers and apologies for the long note

All the best

Pete

2 hours ago, renault said:

I don't want to "highjack" your thread , but I need to relate a very true story to you. So here goes

I worked on a very large construction project that had components built for it in many diverse regions of the world. By components I mean massive and the fabrication yards for them employed hundreds of skilled workers at each site.

Every Monday morning the VP in charge of the project would hold a video conference and each fabrication site in turn would let us know how things were going (there were about 10 or so in all).  Our VP was a wonderful man, but was also a bit "larger than life" who knew what he wanted , when he wanted it , and how he wanted it and wasn't shy about telling you. 

However I learned early on that was just his style and by  acting that way he made sure that people were thinking about what they were doing and why they were doing it. And always utmost in his mind was the health and safety of all the workers at all the construction sites. As much as you were "grilled " in these sessions he was always supportive with your best efforts.  And we strived to always deliver that. 

Unfortunately , the last site on the video list was also the most remote and video technology of the day often suffered from "lags" and at times poor quality images. The folks who managed this site were always on schedule with a top safety record and usually didn't have much to say.

So unbeknownst to us, they came up with the idea to have full scale cardboard cutouts made of themselves to sit at the video conference table for the sessions. They were still in the room but usually working away in the background and all we saw were the images. With the video issues we couldn't tell what was going on.

Well , one day our VP asked a very pointed question of them , and in their rush to get back to the table , they managed to knock over the cardboard cutouts and the jig was up!  To my dying day, I will never forget the look of absolute incredibility on my managers face .  To put it succinctly , he exploded :o

From then on, the decree went out - in the oddest email I have ever seen which started as "Due to unforeseen circumstances only REAL people will hence forth be allowed to participate in the Monday morning video conference."

Not to be outdone, we all reacted and had either a "T" shirt or cap made with the caption "Underneath is a REAL PERSON". When he saw that on the first morning , he laughed so hard he was crying and life was good and back to normal again:) I loved the good times like that in my working career

All the best

Pete

Hijack away anytime Pete , TTM has taken my Haunted Hanger post to a level I could have never expected . :):)

John

2 hours ago, renault said:

All the best

Pete

That is quite the funny story Pete! I can picture the whole scene going down. Thanks for sharing :) 

2 hours ago, BradB said:

Ah , I have fond and hazy memories of my early adult years with a can of Schiltz in my hand . :):blink::D

I have no fond memories of anything to do with Schlitz....memories, yes, no fond ones though ;) 

Archived