AN225 over London in MSFS

andy1252

Courtesy of @bernd1151 via AVsim, I found out how to port aircraft across to MSFS. Not a precise or accurate science, and to use IBM's rather wonderful phrase "results are unpredictable", but it will (sometimes) allow you to get an old loved one temporarily enabled for some sort of flight. Had some failures and some successes, but even then you'll often find you have to start a flight in the air or slew off the ground, and I haven't seen anything with working gauges yet.

If you want to have a go, look at this youtube vid - no sound and a bit of a challenge but hey, I got it to work so it can't be that hard!

FSX Model Converter Tool Demo - MSFS2020 SDK - YouTube

So, to demonstrate, here's a big old friend heading out from Heathrow over the City to head off home

jEf6oF5.jpg

1d8dEqQ.jpg

1uK1xIc.jpg

wEoW2wv.jpg

eALmTMN.jpg

NQ2ry7n.jpg

gQpy7KB.jpg

7XT4fS5.jpg

OxUVVZs.jpg

All images 4k, ultra settings.

Oh, and if you DO use this tool with payware aircraft it should only be used as a temporary facility until a real upgrade or replacement becomes available from the vendor. Don't be cheap - do the right thing.

Great shots, Andy. Like you, I wasn't very good at porting planes over to MSFS initially. And like you, having accepted the challenge, I believe that I'm now pretty good at it. Many of my ported planes have even working gauges, which means I can now fly a diversity of planes from a Connie to a DC 4 and Vickers Viscout to a P47, P51 and Spitfire, all with working gauges in MSFS :):)

17 hours ago, jean marc said:

great port to MSFS Andy ... and you did not choose a little and discretful cookoo for that :)

Thanks Jean Marc, and I have a soft spot for this beast. It has that "gentle giant" thing about it.

16 hours ago, BradB said:

Way to start small Andy and work your way up ...........:rolleyes::P:lol:

You know me John, subtle to the end.

15 hours ago, Wakashi said:

If you hadn’t told me I would have never known that it wasn’t a default aircraft, so, well done Andy! :D

Cheers Roger, when they do go over they tend to look ok. This one's a bit too shiny in the wrong light

13 hours ago, adambar said:

Great job Andy, looks great. :)

Cheers Adam

12 hours ago, flyingleaf said:

Wow well done Comrade you deserve a huge Vodka.:P:D

Dunno about that but a glass of the Irish will probably meet its doom later

2 hours ago, bernd1151 said:

Great shots, Andy. Like you, I wasn't very good at porting planes over to MSFS initially. And like you, having accepted the challenge, I believe that I'm now pretty good at it. Many of my ported planes have even working gauges, which means I can now fly a diversity of planes from a Connie to a DC 4 and Vickers Viscout to a P47, P51 and Spitfire, all with working gauges in MSFS :):)

Thanks Bernd. Glad you did your post on avsim otherwise I probably wouldn't have heard of / bothered about this. I haven't found any problems with the porting itself, it seems they either work or they don't. There may be ways to encourage the failures to life but I'm not (at this point) that bothered - too much fun to be had with the stock aircraft anyway. What I did have a problem with was getting the damn software installed and running ok. That youtube video is a prime example of how not to make an instruction video. I went through it probably a dozen times with my finger on the pause key to try and figure out what was happening. And it took about four attempts to get the converter actually installed and working ok - yet I'm sure I was doing the same thing every time. Still, got there in the end and got a couple of nice planes across to use if I want to.

1 hour ago, RichardLouis said:

Good job and a nice set Andy.

Richard

Cheers Richard

1 hour ago, lifejogger said:

Nice port over and great shots!!!!!!!!

Thanks John. It looks like there's still a lot of compatability with the old FSX techniques under the covers, but with a layer of XML on top. I suspect all sorts of tricks will come to light as time passes.

4 hours ago, andy1252 said:

That youtube video is a prime example of how not to make an instruction video. I went through it probably a dozen times with my finger on the pause key to try and figure out what was happening. And it took about four attempts to get the converter actually installed and working ok - yet I'm sure I was doing the same thing every time.

Hahaha, sounds damn familiar, Andy. So much to the phrase: you can't teach an old dog new tricks :D

Archived