I had a dream ..... Red Arrows over Gloucester

renault

31 minutes ago, andy1252 said:

Pretty amazing stuff there Pete. Colours, clarity, composition all pretty much perfect (not sure about the colour science reference - RGB maybe?). Is this Vulkan or regular? Whatever it is - I'm envious!

Thanks Andy

I am really pleased that you enjoyed it. This is Vulkan but it looks the same on Opengl XPlane . Color science is a bit of a "catch all" term in a sense for a lot of different things. In my particular case, my "hobby" within flight simulation is my fascination with how digital images are created and manipulated in terms of the entire processing chain from the simulation lighting engine through to what you see on a computer monitor. I tend to use the word for that , although it actually encompass so much more breadth and depth starting with  Newton.

For me it is the digital interaction of color and light and how that creates images and how I can interact with the process. These screenshots represent ideas I have been working on for some time now in terms of understanding how XPlane's lighting engine works developing a group of shaders which will create a properly balanced color space in real time as the simulator runs.

I find this both very difficult (it exercises my brain cells a lot which is a very good thing and a personal goal that I committed to in retirement to learn new things), but also very rewarding when I can progress ideas into a working process. Will it ever see the light of day? Possibly, but at this stage it is still very much an alpha/beta process. I am very fortunate though that I have the contact  of other Orbx members who seem to be tolerant of my "zany ideas".  Together our ages sum well over 200 , but we have great discussions together and we have fun, although sometimes we need to be reminded of what the conversation was last about :)

You are quite right in terms of RGB but it is more. Without getting into excruciatingly boring details, I recommend the following two videos. Both are very easy to watch . The second one introduces the concept of color space which is very relevant to how a computer system works. I would suggest that the first 4 minutes are the most relevant, beyond that is a discussion of the use of techniques in Photoshop. 

I hope that you enjoy them and thank you very much indeed for your comments. It is very much appreciated.

Cheers

Pete

https://www.khanacademy.org/computing/pixar/color/color-101/v/color-2

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=071XzduxEqI

11 hours ago, renault said:

You are quite right in terms of RGB but it is more.

A fascinating respose, as always Pete. I will go and take a look at those vidoes later today or tomorrow. I don't have the patience myself to plug away at these things the way you and Adam seem to. I find myself too easily distracted in the the sims - I was getting myself all geared up to try and get to grips with the likes of flight plans, FMCs etc in the Airbus but then got sidetracked by trying to master the jetpack and hoverboard in XP. But once Vulkan has made it to official release and I've got more of a grasp on what tools and options are available I'll probably want to play with that then. Unless I've gone raving off in to MFS world at that point!

But I'm really glad we have you out there exploring for the rest of us! Keep at it, and keep posting the results - they are inspiring. Oh, and the RBG reference was because I thought you might be being a bit crafty there - Red planes against the Green fields with a wonderful bright Blue sky (like my T-shirt said - "I'm not as subtle as I used to be")

21 hours ago, Jack Sawyer said:

Very nice shots!

Thanks Jack. Much appreciated:)

Hope you are well

Cheers

Pete

20 hours ago, olderndirt said:

Nice formation flying - as always colors are spot on.  What's the circular stadium I see on the ground?

Thanks. Sorry don't know

Pete

16 hours ago, adambar said:

Very nicely done Pete! :)  My brain cells get enough exercise watching all that's going on in the US today and trying to process and understand it all.:huh:

Thanks Adam:)

The rational human mind is not designed to continuously deal with the irrational . It will make your brain hurt for sure:(

Cheers

Pete

15 hours ago, Iain Emms said:

Fine set of shots Pete.

cheers

Iain

Thanks Iain:)

Cheers!

14 hours ago, musterpilot said:

Great set of shots

John

Thank you John

Cheers

Pete

12 hours ago, andy1252 said:

A fascinating respose, as always Pete. I will go and take a look at those vidoes later today or tomorrow. I don't have the patience myself to plug away at these things the way you and Adam seem to. I find myself too easily distracted in the the sims - I was getting myself all geared up to try and get to grips with the likes of flight plans, FMCs etc in the Airbus but then got sidetracked by trying to master the jetpack and hoverboard in XP. But once Vulkan has made it to official release and I've got more of a grasp on what tools and options are available I'll probably want to play with that then. Unless I've gone raving off in to MFS world at that point!

But I'm really glad we have you out there exploring for the rest of us! Keep at it, and keep posting the results - they are inspiring. Oh, and the RBG reference was because I thought you might be being a bit crafty there - Red planes against the Green fields with a wonderful bright Blue sky (like my T-shirt said - "I'm not as subtle as I used to be")

Keeps me off the streets and I've got the time at the moment:rolleyes::)

11 hours ago, Dario said:

Lovely shots, Pete! Really well done! 

Thanks Dario:)

Cheers!

1 hour ago, Stillwater said:

Fantastic flight and shots, Pete.

PS: With "I had a dream" only one thing comes to my mind. MLK, his spirit never dies.

PPS: Yes, it goes "I have a dream". Memories still come.

Yes indeed :)

That was the sterling platinum forever kind. 

I think in some way all of us carry it in our hearts

Cheers and thanks

Pete

1 hour ago, flyingleaf said:

I'm gobsmacked. Wonderful color indeed Pete.

Thank you 

Cheers:)

Pete

Archived