What does Orbx give you?

renault

Today I finalized getting my installation of XPlane Vulkan Beta 11.50b13 up & running

I took a number of screenshots at Paine Field Snohomish County  (Laminar Demo Region at Seattle. Boeing is very close by) to check my color fidelity and then added Orbx scenery

The first 4 screenshots are XPlane default - Default aircraft, Default clouds, default scenery objects.  The remainder are Orbx , but still with Default clouds and aircraft.

Simply put, for me, Orbx gives me the world ! 

Cheers

Renault

Disclaimer - Sorry Iain, the first 4 are definitely not Orbx, but for the sake of the comparison I hope it is ok. If not, I understand.

SaCZqx5.jpg

SG65i7s.jpg

JLkyGm2.jpg

6LUoGOe.jpg

hAKh5xZ.jpg

xaJiCWC.jpg

Klj2Hvd.jpg

w3XtKAJ.jpg

GonKl4m.jpg

On 7/1/2020 at 6:27 PM, adambar said:

Very nice indeed. :)

Thank you Adam

Cheers

Pete

On 7/1/2020 at 6:57 PM, musterpilot said:

Top set of shots

John

Thanks John!

Cheers

Pete

On 7/1/2020 at 8:07 PM, olderndirt said:

Preachin' to the choir here - gotta say the default shots look good, Orbx being the frosting on the cake.

Cheers

Pete

On 7/2/2020 at 10:54 AM, Dario said:

Excellent comparison, Pete! I totally agree with you: it gives us the world. Nowadays I can't imagine myself flying without Orbx. 

Thanks Dario

I actually tried while I was getting everything set up. Boring, wasn't really the word I would use :rolleyes:

Orbx just makes everything come alive!

Cheers

Pete

3 hours ago, Jack Sawyer said:

Excellent shots, especially that last one.  So this new version requires a full reinstall of all scenery? :blink:

2 hours ago, paulk said:

Does it require a full reinstall?

2 hours ago, Jack Sawyer said:

I wish I knew.

Thanks Jack. Appreciate the comment

As far as the installation and a full reinstall of everything ....

Heavens no!. Life is much to short for such things:rolleyes:

You do a minimal install, just to get the Vulkan version as a separate copy from your existing Opengl (11.41) version of XPlane

All the "heavy duty " stuff like all your scenery, aircraft etc are handled by  Symbolic links, which are "shortcuts on steroids".  They allow you to easily link back to your existing XPlane 11.41 installation so you don't have to worry about duplicating the massive number of files.

The Vulkan installation is minimal - about 6 gb. All your scenery., aircraft etc are transparently accessed from your existing 11.41 opengl version

Here are two links explaining how it works

https://orbxsystems.com/forum/topic/196313-not-sure-if-it%E2%80%99s-worth-it-yet/

and 

https://orbxsystems.com/forum/topic/196511-what-are-symlinks/

Symbolic links are a standard feature on every operating system. Windows has dozens of them , and the ATM bank machines all use symbolic links back to the main bank servers to access your account details.  To a user it "looks like" the file system is right on your system at the location you specify, but it can be somewhere else on your system (as with XPlane 11.41) or on a completely different computer system as in the case of ATM's.  

I'd recommend you have a look at the topic "What are symlinks" first as it is an easy read and has a good explanation of what symlinks are and how they can be easily set up. Jon Clark has kindly provided an extension which can work in Windows Explorer to make it a very easy process. This file is in the discussion  in the first reference

Cheers

Pete

On 7/4/2020 at 3:19 AM, paulk said:

Vulcan Beta Version download as you said only about 6GB

Next I need to experiment with Symbolic Links as I’ve never used before.

Thanks for all the info Pete 

You are most welcome Paul

Cheers

Pete

5 hours ago, renault said:

You are most welcome Paul

Cheers

Pete

Hi Pete

Symbolic links were so easy to use thanks to all the helpful postings you, Jon and others posted. Really enjoying the Beta Version of X Plane 11 and it’s performance. Just can’t get over how quick and easy it all was to set up.

Many Thanks

Paul

Archived