TE South California - part 1 of many :)

Dario

Some days ago, I asked @renault if he opted for SD or HD TE sceneries. He told me that he went HD all the way.

I was still using SD versions basically because of my lack of disk space, and also because SD sceneries loaded faster and showed better FPS. 

Now we have XP11.50 with Vulkan, which makes things work in a very different way. So I bought a new external SSD and decided to give HD sceneries another try.

I am extremely happy to report that Orbx HD regions are now running on my PC around 40-60 FPS, without any stutters. 

The quality and the details of these HD sceneries  are totally jaw dropping. It makes all the experience of virtual flying much more immersive. 

These are my first shots of TE South Cal HD: 

ntzfNxR.jpg

8eERYw4.jpg

0AYEJIV.jpg

HT9ysb8.jpg

Lj00hDR.jpg

BgxsUYK.jpg

Thank you very much , Jack! :) 

It’s amazing indeed... I bought a Samsung T5 and a Sandisk Extreme Portable. They are able to keep up with 500 Mbps via USB 3.1. 

The HD sceneries make a huge difference, specially at low altitudes and in urban areas. Everything is sharp and crisp.

Regards! 

2 hours ago, BradB said:

Fantastic shots Dario , what WX program are you using for these clouds ? .

John

Thank you very much, John! 

It seems a simple question, but in my case it's difficult to answer :)  I installed UWXP 2.6, then I was not happy with the FPS and I disabled it, which should get cloud and sky textures back to default. Then I restarted XP11 without UWXP in the plugins list. To my surprise, the sky and cloud textures were better than default, I still had cloud shadows, and the FPS was perfect. I am not using ASXP with 11.50. Only XVision. Does this answer your question? I am still with a question mark about this.... :) 

2 hours ago, Ron Attwood said:

Amazing shots! What's it like at 1000ft?

Thank you very much, Ron! To my taste, it is beautiful at 1000ft, specially over urban areas. 

13 minutes ago, Iain Emms said:

Grand set of shots.

cheers

Iain

Thank you very much, Iain!

fantastic result Dario !! And great to get good results from an external SSD :) I keep your choice in mind

A basic question : do you think TE NCA is better in XP11 with HD than it would be in P3Dv4 or v5 ? I guess yes... :unsure:

9 minutes ago, jean marc said:

fantastic result Dario !! And great to get good results from an external SSD :) I keep your choice in mind

A basic question : do you think TE NCA is better in XP11 with HD than it would be in P3Dv4 or v5 ? I guess yes... :unsure:

Thank you very much indeed, Jean Marc! :) 

Hmmm... your question is not easy to answer. I think it depends on many factors, such as what is your PC configuration, what aircraft do you prefer to fly, if you need proper ATC and traffic or not, etc.

I can respond, though, what worked better for me: TE HD with XP11.50 (with Vulkan).

Let me state that I tested it only in P3D v5 (not in V4.5). My PC sometimes struggled to properly load the terrain, even though the FPS was very nice. And P3D had the added benefits of A2A, ASCA+AS, ENVTEX, etc.

But for me, definitely, XP11 works very much better with TE HD. Add to that XP Realistic v2, and it works wonders. The only thing that was a little difficult for me was to get proper clouds and sky colors. After some days of tweaking, now I am definitely happy with the results. 

Best regards,

Dario

5 minutes ago, Dario said:

But for me, definitely, XP11 works very much better with TE HD. Add to that XP Realistic v2, and it works wonders. The only thing that was a little difficult for me was to get proper clouds and sky colors. After some days of tweaking, now I am definitely happy with the results. 

thank you very much for you full and kind explanation Dario...

Difficult choice indeed as I have so many planes with repaints I love and scenery addon for P3D4...But great to know that so great results are possible with XP11...Anyway I have time to think about this choice as my PC is quite old ... and best results will come only later with a new PC :)  Thanks again

10 hours ago, musterpilot said:

Great set of shots

John

Thank you very much, John! :) 

11 hours ago, Red1963 said:

Grandios. Beautiful set of shots.

Cheers

Thank you very much! :) 

5 hours ago, adambar said:

Superb set of shots Dario. :)

Thank you very much, Adam! :) 

7 hours ago, JohnnyJohnJohn said:

Great ones Dano!  Definitely my Christmas gift this year to myself if the new sim isn't ready yet.  For sure!

Thank you very much, John! I couldn't think of a better Christmas gift! :) 

Archived