From dry plains to rich waters

This flight goes out of Ougadougou, the capital of Burkina Faso...

HxGPuBP.jpg

... over the plain lands into Ghana. Since 1992 it appears to be a working democracy, ranked #55 of 167 countries in the Democracy Index of british "The Economist".

eUef7FU.jpg

One of the "upper" arms of Lake Volta, ...

INXP7wa.jpg

... which we follow on our way south over Digya NP.

hq0X551.jpg

Completed in 1965 it is still the world´s largest artificial lake by area. Lake Volta is important for transportation, providing a waterway for both ferries and cargo watercraft.

1NRQsGS.jpg

Lake Volta is the location of a vast population of fish and large fisheries.

pEeByuZ.jpg

This should be the Akosombo Dam, but it does not (yet) look so. It provides electricity for much of the country, as well as for export to Togo, Benin, and nearby countries, to earn foreign exchange. 

ACApy4A.jpg

And here we dive into Accra at the Atlantic coast, the capital, biggest city and biggest airport of the country. In non-pandemic times I would have many commercial airline connections from here, and I´ll take one of those in my next flight. 

jy4yZGz.jpg

If you are interested to learn more about Ghana, read here from the United nations webpage - it seems to be more actual than ever: https://www.un.org/africarenewal/magazine/december-2018-march-2019/2019-year-return-african-diaspora

2 hours ago, VH-KDK said:

More interesting facts and figures Gerold.

A great series of views from your flight too especially around Lake Volta.

Thank you Martyn. Flying OLC really makes me learn a lot about the countries.

7 hours ago, BradB said:

Fascinating post Gerold . :):)

Thank you John!

3 hours ago, adambar said:

Job well done Gerold. :)

Thanks Adam!

1 hour ago, Iain Emms said:

Great shots Gerold.

cheers

Iain

My pleasure, Iain.

6 hours ago, Aussieflyer38 said:

Great pics and geography lesson as well:) 

Don

Lesson for me as well, Don. OLC Africa is really leading me onto unknown (or, in this case, little known) terrain.

21 minutes ago, Stillwater said:

Thank you Eberhard. You have surely seen a lot more fom Africa than me - but the continent is so big...

I have a bit, and wish to see more. Been to Zimbabwe, the southern parts of Malawi, Mozambique and Namibia. Seen a bit of SA as well.

If you do manage to come than I might be able to show you around.

3 minutes ago, Eberhard Haberkorn said:

I have a bit, and wish to see more. Been to Zimbabwe, the southern parts of Malawi, Mozambique and Namibia. Seen a bit of SA as well.

A good list of the southeastern tip you have seen. Orbx gives me a feeling how big these areas are...

4 minutes ago, Eberhard Haberkorn said:

If you do manage to come than I might be able to show you around.

We still have our plans, but we do not know how or when to start... We also have some schedule parts, but there should be flexibility.

Archived