Flying Over Wolf Creek Crater

shane280172

Firstly let me say that I cannot believe tha Orbx included this crater in the Australian scenery. I would have put any money on it that they would left it off. I wanted to see so I took off from Fitzroy Crossing WA. I had to use Plan G to find the crater and after flying for a while, there is was.

Thanks Orbx for making Australia so lifelike.

2020-4-13_11-28-50-140.jpg

2020-4-13_11-29-12-720.jpg

Great shots Shane. And quite a remote place...

14 minutes ago, John Dow said:

Just don't have an engine out, land on the road and accept help from a local mechanic!

... once they arrive, after a week or so. Good to have some water on board, or other liquid.

great shots, see this is the beauty of this forum and Orbx scenery, saw this, never heard of it, had a google and now I have a bit more knowledge of a place I will probably never go to but I am glad I learned about it....I am one of those that just loves to learn about things...thanks for posting.....

great to visit the crater in V2 - thanks Shane

Well it seems again much better than in V1 ... see the following "old shots" ... at the end of the post  :)

https://orbxsystems.com/forum/topic/153044-something-different-2-meteorite-stromatolite-tour-in-australia/

1 hour ago, Jack Sawyer said:

I'm assuming this is a long-ago meteor strike.  Any back story on this site, like how old do they estimate it to be?

I think less than 300.000 years ago, due to a strike by a large meteorit (siderite) with same materials as the one of the all solar system (material which made planets 4.7 billions years ago); no idea about the climate in this place at this age O0

2 minutes ago, jean marc said:

I think less than 300.000 years ago, due to a strike by a large meteorit (siderite) with same materials as the one of the all solar system (material which made planets 4.7 billions years ago); no idea about the climate in this place at this age O0

Thanks Jean Marc!  300K years isn’t really that old, long after the dinosaurs went extinct.  I love interesting things like this.  I wonder if people can still find fragments there?  Isn’t cool how our Orbx world is so detailed?

11 hours ago, wain71 said:

great shots, see this is the beauty of this forum and Orbx scenery, saw this, never heard of it, had a google and now I have a bit more knowledge of a place I will probably never go to but I am glad I learned about it....I am one of those that just loves to learn about things...thanks for posting.....

Thanks Wain,

I didnt know about this place until the movie came out. Worth the watch. 

15 hours ago, Jack Sawyer said:

Thanks Jean Marc!  300K years isn’t really that old, long after the dinosaurs went extinct.  I love interesting things like this.  I wonder if people can still find fragments there?  Isn’t cool how our Orbx world is so detailed?

indeed quite recent but none native people at this time in Australia, only kangooros to look the meteorite arrival show :) 

Some fragments are quite easily available. I have 6 small meteorites at present (sme very small parts less than 1cm3 each) and one from Wolfe Creek attempts me for a while - but it is very expensive so ... - here is a link to show how it is (PS : it is a iron meteorite, with oxydation from our atmosphere, coming from the core of a planetesimal)

http://www.carionmineraux.com/meteorite_siderite_wolf_creek.htm

4 hours ago, jean marc said:

indeed quite recent but none native people at this time in Australia, only kangooros to look the meteorite arrival show :) 

Some fragments are quite easily available. I have 6 small meteorites at present (sme very small parts less than 1cm3 each) and one from Wolfe Creek attempts me for a while - but it is very expensive so ... - here is a link to show how it is (PS : it is a iron meteorite, with oxydation from our atmosphere, coming from the core of a planetesimal)

http://www.carionmineraux.com/meteorite_siderite_wolf_creek.htm

Jean Marc!  All quite fascinating.

Archived