PBR or not PBR

zinj

That is the question...

I took advantage of the possibility to have PBR textures or not on this Gina to compare the visual.
What do you prefer?

PBR :

pI006eB.jpg

Without PBR :

m9HG9Zp.jpg

Not really the same weather forecast but eh ... B)

More colors but less reflections without PBR... Would it be possible to have both ? Never happy ! :lol:

Cheers ;)

zinj

I prefer without ! 
The pbr format is suitable very well for certain games but I am not convinced that it is totally suitable for the simulator.

That certainly gives a spectacular aspect but this one is not completely realistic in my opinion.

As you say, a mix of the two would be (maybe) betterl.

Richard

Personally, I prefer PBR textures on aircraft but as you say, it lowers the density of the shadows. I think the highlights look better though.

So when your AC sits at a gate (with PBR) in a row of standard AI aircraft without PBR then the shadows look different.

The P3D bloom slider changes them slightly. Plus REX Environment Force has sliders that can bring the shadows back.

I prefer PBR when it is raining. I glosses up the aircraft. PBR scenery is wonderful.

Aussie

Personally I am a huge fan of PBR, to analyse the difference you really need a dynamic view. Videos showing how the light changes.

using stills fails to capture how the light reacts. Immersion comes from seeing the light reflect our movements.

Different sims use different shaders, some have been at it longer and are more accurate, add to that the learning curve for developers to be able to utilise these new materials.

PBR is here to stay and will improve as the tools to implement it improve, the best screen shots will come from utilising the light, Photographers have been learning to understand the way light brings out the best in their subjects.

There is a learning curve but the results are worth the effort.

cheers.

15 hours ago, zinj said:

Perhaps a bit different with same weather and hour:

Without

3SANy1M.jpg

With PBR

37rB5H4.jpg

Here, I prefer with...

Nupe still like the first one. PBR washes out the color. Looks like like something someone did in there basement. :D  Now PBR looks great with scenery, but that's about it.

Archived