The Gateway

VH-KDK

Some views of the Gateway Bridge, a familiar sight to those who enjoy ORBX's YBBN scenery.

1.y8f8pdc.jpg

Now known as the Sir Leo Hielscher Bridges, the first one was opened in 1986 an the duplicate in 2010

2.uAzE0ad.jpg

The 260metre main span was the worlds longest concrete cantilever box girder for 15 years.

3.uMoFsWr.jpg

Due to the proximity of YBBN the bridge had to be designed without any towers, all of the structure had to be under 80 metres amsl in height.

4.Z0I1wU0.jpg

Approaching the bridge from the west.

5.i4n0YmW.jpg

A snap out of the back window of the taxi, each bridge has 6 lanes.

6.g0VaphR.jpg

Over the top and now looking at the M1 Gateway Motorway heading south towards the Gold Coast.

On 11/10/2019 at 1:28 AM, Stillwater said:

Fantastic shots, real & predicted by Orbx. I love that kind of posts!

PS: We just saw the bridge and did not make to cross it. And did not fly underneath, @Jack Sawyer!

I was disappointed Gerold as our QF 332 didn't fly under the bridge either despite my request!

An impressive bridge to drive across too but with the high barriers you cannot see very much either side.

On 11/10/2019 at 9:19 AM, adambar said:

I came to the conclusion that there is nothing you Don't know Martyn. :D  Great post once again! :)

Thanks Adam, sadly I don't know the important things in life.:huh:

Lottery numbers for one!:lol:

On 11/10/2019 at 10:42 AM, TerribleT said:

Great virtual and real shots - these bridges made a huge difference to traffic flow around Brisbane CBD and also to through traffic using Highway 1 and bypassing Brisbane.

Cheers TT.

It is hard to imagine how things were before these wonderful bridges were constructed.:)

2 hours ago, boetie said:

Great shots Martyn. I have driven on the bridge about a dozen times in the last month. I keep getting bloody toll notices in the mail!

Cheers

Graeme :)

Thanks Graeme, gotta give them pen ushers something to do!:lol:

Archived