A B A B B B A A B A B B A B A A

VH-KDK

Long time no C.:(:wacko::lol:

MK1Vt7L.jpg

Flying into Brisbane from Singapore at the end of my trip the other week I saw a Pel-Air SAAB parked up.

nUlJZ6v.jpg

The first Pel-Air freighter I had seen. 

yiwU0oV.jpg

What a great surprise to see my old favourite plane after so many years.

0fSRez1.jpg

An image from 2007 at Mildura, but now 34 years old and still going strong! 

6 minutes ago, VH-KDK said:

Long time no C

Did you used to write for Frankie Howerd, or maybe the entire Carry On team, in a previous existence Martyn? I think we should be told <grin>

(Alternatively - "spoken like a true assembler programmer", although that might be a bit too geekish)

7 minutes ago, VH-KDK said:

34 years old and still going strong!

And this got me thinking - do you think 'plane years are like dog years? Is this a really geriatric beast?

That aside, I'm enjoying the various pix from your trip. They're almost enough to make me want to actually go and see some of these places in real life. (Almost - and then I remember the hassle of RL airports and am re-confirmed in my desire to remain comfy in my cave)

17 minutes ago, andy1252 said:

Did you used to write for Frankie Howerd, or maybe the entire Carry On team, in a previous existence Martyn? I think we should be told <grin>

(Alternatively - "spoken like a true assembler programmer", although that might be a bit too geekish)

And this got me thinking - do you think 'plane years are like dog years? Is this a really geriatric beast?

That aside, I'm enjoying the various pix from your trip. They're almost enough to make me want to actually go and see some of these places in real life. (Almost - and then I remember the hassle of RL airports and am re-confirmed in my desire to remain comfy in my cave)

Thanks Andy, I don't think my type of comedy is suitable in these restrictive times today. I count myself very lucky to have grown up with so many amazing comedians and comedy programmes in the late 50s through to the  90s before the downturn.

This SAAB, VH-KDK s/n016, originally flew with Kendell Airlines and arrived down under in February 1985. It then flew with Ansett before going to REX until 2009  when it was converted to a freighter for the REX subsidiary Pel-Air.

I didn't find the airports too bad at all and the one that surprised me was Atlanta as I expected it to be extremely busy but it was not too bad at all. Maybe I was lucky!

I am glad to hear you are enjoying my RL snaps, I have a few more to show!:D

22 minutes ago, gumbypickett said:

Very nice KDK, and still running with both engines:o. Was this 

one of the first Kendall/Rex aircraft introduced into the fleet? 

I know its been around for a long time. BTW welcome back.:)

cheers

Gumby

Many thanks for the welcome back Gumby.

This was indeed the very first 340 in Oz and I flew on it many times in the 80s and 90s.:)

On 11/10/2019 at 1:30 AM, Stillwater said:

An AMAZING sight, especially for you and espacially after such a trip. Your heart must have done a jump?!

Or has this been pre-arranged by the Austrailan Air Traffic Control, knowing you come back?

Always great for me to see a SAAB and I was very surprised when I saw myself out of the window.:huh:

They were going to do the water salute as we taxied in but due to the water shortage they did get KDK to come and meet me!;)

On 11/10/2019 at 12:12 PM, Jack Sawyer said:

Cool Martyn!  So that's where you got your namesake from, I like it, fabulous shots here!

Thanks Jack. Yes back in the 90s and naughties, many times when I flew from Mildura to Melbourne or across to Tassie I often flew on this plane.:)

Archived