No deception here, just a bridge

Jack Sawyer

Back in my pilot whippersnapper days logging my first hundred, an ultimate challenge for the locals was this bridge across the Takotna river, not far upstream from the village of the same name.  It was part of the original corduroyed road between the Kuskokwim river and the gold town of Ophir.  Rules stated that your "attempt" had to be over water - you could practice in the winter on ski's but only for practice.  Upstream was the preferred route and, of course, level flight was not recommended.  Had to slow down, get the nose up - tail down so that it all passed cleanly and no dignity was lost.  In later years, after I acquired lots of stuff on my ticket, I often wondered would I, could I.  Two young friends, sons of coworkers, used my 140 so I'm sure it made it under at least once. Both went on to become B747 captains and the 140 is still flying out of Palmer, AK with an O290 - forty more hp than my C85.

Tatalina.png

1 minute ago, olderndirt said:

Back in my pilot whippersnapper days logging my first hundred, an ultimate challenge for the locals was this bridge across the Takotna river, not far upstream from the village of the same name.  It was part of the original corduroyed road between the Kuskokwim river and the gold town of Ophir.  Rules stated that your "attempt" had to be over water - you could practice in the winter on ski's but only for practice.  Upstream was the preferred route and, of course, level flight was not recommended.  Had to slow down, get the nose up - tail down so that it all passed cleanly and no dignity was lost.  In later years, after I acquired lots of stuff on my ticket, I often wondered would I, could I.  Two young friends, sons of coworkers, used my 140 so I'm sure it made it under at least once. Both went on to become B747 captains and the 140 is still flying out of Palmer, AK with an O290 - forty more hp than my C85.

Thanks OND!  That's an awesome sorry, imagine they became 747 pilots, good for them!

Archived