DC-6 at Melbourne

Jack Sawyer

Well, now I know why I uninstalled this plane.  It's a cool plane if you like very old cockpits.  They had a heck of a lot of mechanical levers back then, so I rely on the AI co-pilot.

And I have never seen an aircraft that's so hostile to FSUIPC.  I have to actually have one lever to control all four engines.  I'm usually very good with FSUIPC but this plane will simply not allow four separate throttle and I have no idea why.

So for all you guys who like the old ones here's some cool shots in an Oz livery in Orbx's Aus v2.

tZhj3jY.jpg

b8K2qWW.jpg

Oops, mixture levers moved.  Testing...

b8K2qWW.jpg

8q7clLR.jpg

I still can't get used to that terrain, it looks like a mesh problem but I was told this is normal.

BZi6cgr.jpg

h5QRPre.jpg

zydOCxn.jpg

Right, you know what fo to next :) 

9cUYyxR.jpg

eAUVTfj.jpg

zBUnySr.jpg

3NlcEif.jpg

npoutvF.jpg

yEFQQEQ.jpg

I actually persisted and flew back to land and after several go-arounds managed to land.

Nn97Srj.jpg

2 hours ago, Jack Sawyer said:

I still can't get used to that terrain, it looks like a mesh problem but I was told this is normal.

BZi6cgr.jpg

It certainly doesn't look like that with my vanilla Australia 2, must have something to do with YMML (which I don't have) not agreeing with the newer mesh? Anyhoo, fabulous shots, Jack, some of your best bridge work!

15 hours ago, flyingleaf said:

Great shots indeed Jack. Glad y'all could land that old beast.I liked that Bridge "inspection" flight:lol:, well done.:D

Thanks Karl!  I had to get it out of my system. And yeah, a lot of people like these old planes, not to patrol to them myself, I like the magic of electronics.

15 hours ago, olderndirt said:

Is that the PMDG six?  Certainly looks great - your prop trails are a different direction from the nose - was the ball in the center :)?

Hi OND, yes, it's the PMDG.  Didn't even notice that and I wasn't even paying to the turn slip at this time.

13 hours ago, adambar said:

I still like prefer props of any kind over jets anyday Jack, I grew up with them in the 40s, so. :rolleyes::D  Anyway great shots of the old girl! :)

Thanks Adam, I'm the polar opposite, I love the modern planes with that fancy dancy electronic magical stuff. ;)

12 hours ago, patful said:

It certainly doesn't look like that with my vanilla Australia 2, must have something to do with YMML (which I don't have) not agreeing with the newer mesh? Anyhoo, fabulous shots, Jack, some of your best bridge work!

Thanks Pat.  I think there might be a problem with YMML as this has been ongoing for a number of months now.

11 hours ago, M110A2 said:

Wow Jack, can you imagine actually pulling those kind of G's in a real DC-6 as in image 13. I love the government bridge, it's been a while since you've done any.

Thanks Vince!  It has and I had the need to do it, actually I was just testing the new install of the plane and wants it to be Oz and I chose Melbourne, and one thing led to another when I saw the bridge. ;)

Nice G test with that old bird, Jack you push her to the boundaries...!

I think you did already manually turn off the Elevation Correction in the vector config tool. And I believe the "hole in the ground" near Tullamarine is normal.

1 hour ago, Stillwater said:

Nice G test with that old bird, Jack you push her to the boundaries...!

I think you did already manually turn off the Elevation Correction in the vector config tool. And I believe the "hole in the ground" near Tullamarine is normal.

Thanks Gerold.  I'll have to try that, good idea.

Archived