My name is Paul and I am an IDIOT.

Jester945271

Hi All, I just wanted to let you all know that I am an idiot. Whats the reason you ask, well, I have a secret, I have been using P3D with TEGBS since release and I kid you not its been taking 30 mins to load a flight. Now for those who know me, you know I have a very powerful laptop, so I was thinking, is there a fault. What have I done to it etc. Well the answer is simple.

I use Acronis True Image - AHA some can see where I am going now. With Acronis you get ADP and this is meant to stop ransomware. So when I started a flight my throughput from my 2TB SSD was 0MB, therefore loading all my terrain was taking 32 mins.. So I first added the D: to the exclusions and my time went from 32 mins to 9 mins and throughput of 3 to 4 MB/S and then when disabling time dropped to 5mins throughput of 9 to 11+MB/S

So as you can now see I am an idiot - So dont be like me

I am running

EU_ENG/WLS/IR/NIR/TEGB

All Orbx UK airfields

MAIW (Airfields and Traffic)

UT Live

UK2000 (Southend/LCY/Jersey/Guernsey)

I see no idiots here.

We cannot all know everything and every day there is something new to find out.

Some time ago, my friend discovered Minitool Partition Wixard

It is a superb piece of software, very intuitive to use and

very effective.

For home use, it is also free but if you feel that you need to pay

for it, you can do that too.

Both my friend and I, he being a much more avid creator of

backups than me, have abandoned Acronis in favour of this.

You might wish to take a look at it.

I do not understand why people run so much software in the background when using flight simulation software. You don’t need any of that whilst flying in the sim so disable the lot of it.

If you recall I showed everyone a video of my <2 minute loading time for TEGBS London about two months ago (even before P3Dv4.5 was released) and I don’t have a super computer, just all the bloatware turned off.

56 minutes ago, Triplane said:

What do you consider "so much software"? Or "bloatware"?

The top two on my list are (1) any virus checker, and (2) any malware protector/checker.  Unless you're surfing the web while you're simming, I see no point in running those things in the background, and I don't.  I'm sure there are others...

7 hours ago, Triplane said:

What do you consider "so much software"? Or "bloatware"?

Anything not used for running the flight simulation software. Their is no risk of infection or viruses when running the sim since it does not visit malware sites.

Windows 10 itself comes pre-installed with a lot of bloatware not needed for flight simming. A quick google will point you in the right direction as to what you can remove.

The key thing is: keep your FS machine as lean as possible and dedicated to simming only, as much as it is possible. I have my Mac for all my daily business tasks such as email, Office, graphic design, Discord, Skype, etc etc. My Windows 10 FS machine is reserved for simming only and has nothing else installed on it.

Fair enough. I guess if I could afford the luxury of a second computer for flight-sim only that would be an answer. But, like most folks I suspect, I only have one and that will have to do. Over the years I've tried clean-boots, Black Vipers recommendations, and a host of other "lean-and-mean" stuff. None of that seemed to make a significant difference. Maybe my tired old computer just isn't up to the task...sigh. Thanks for the info and keep the new stuff coming. My credit card is always ready :)..............Doug

Hmm, interesting. I have both Acronis and activated Windows Defender and never had any issue with them. Neither Acronis nor Windows Defender have an exception for the P3D drive included, yet I do not have more than 3min loading time for TE Netherlands or any other drawbacks. BUT: I will certainly see if I can put those exceptions into Windows Defender and double check if anything from Acronis is running while I am simming, thanks for the heads up.

The issue I had with Acronis 2019 is the new ransomware "feature" called Acronis Active Protection. With that running it was a slideshow. Once I figured out that I had to disable it while simming all was back to normal............Doug

All those virus killers and defenders are indeed killing for (loading) performance. My example is nothing like the OP's example but going from desktop to Aerofly FS 2's menu used to take 9 seconds. After installing TrueEarth it took 26 seconds. (Again, nothing compared to the OP's 32 minutes but still almost three times as much). Turned out I forgot (after a recent W10 reinstall) to exclude ASF2 (and everything related) from Windows Defender. After excluding everything loading was back to 9 seconds instantly.

2 hours ago, J van E said:

Turned out I forgot (after a recent W10 reinstall) to exclude ASF2 (and everything related) from Windows Defender. After excluding everything loading was back to 9 seconds instantly

How?

Is it just to go to the "Virus & Threat protecton"  >  "Exclusions"  -  "add or remove Exclusions"  >  Folder   (ASF2 and everything related)  ??

Archived