Let there be light!!

Adam Banks

I can't put my finger on exactly how, but I think the lighting is so much more realistic in XP11.

xp11-tegb-spitfire-1350.jpg?dl=1

xp11-tegb-hurricane-01-1350.jpg?dl=1

Even the cockpits (good as they often are in P3D) seem more lifelike:

xp11-tegb-navion205-1350.jpg?dl=1

What an incredible aircraft the Vulcan is (or was!) - late afternoon:

xp11-tegb-vulcan-03-1350.jpg?dl=1

xp11-tegb-vulcan-01-1350.jpg?dl=1

xp11-tegb-vulcan-02-1350.jpg?dl=1

Amazingly, all these aircraft are freeware!

Adam.

Holy mackerel Adam!!! All the exterior shots look like photos. I had to zoom in on #1 to make sure it was from the sim. I really don’t like photoreal stuff, but xplane has absolutely nailed lighting. It looks like real life. Great shots mate!

15 hours ago, wain71 said:

great shots, I have to agree XP lighting is fantastic, does P3D4.5 update go some way to addressing this?

I don't think so. Most of the changes in the update look pretty well under the hood to me. Good looking as P3D can be, its general appearance (at least in lighting terms) does seem to look dated when compared to XP11. If I hadn't seen the many amazing XP11 shots here and been suckered into a cheap deal, I'd still be quite happy with the way P3D looks.

2 hours ago, Aharon said:

Famous Adamski,

You NEVER told me that you are member of Orbx beta team!!

:-) It's been on my signature here on ORBX from the very start of my testing - but I don't advertise the fact outside this forum - even though I do appear to "get around" a fair bit in the FS world!

1 hour ago, Chunk said:

Holy mackerel Adam!!! All the exterior shots look like photos. I had to zoom in on #1 to make sure it was from the sim. I really don’t like photoreal stuff, but xplane has absolutely nailed lighting. It looks like real life. Great shots mate!

Thanks, Chunk! I must admit the novelty hasn't worn off - I'm often surprised by what I see in external views!!

Many thanks for the complimentary comments folks! :)

Adam.

Adam those really are nice shots and you mentioned they are freeware, sure would like to know where you found those, wow! The lighting in X-Plane is very nice I recently broke down and picked it up to give it a try and really do like many of the features it offers! I am still heavily invested in Prepar3D and certainly with ORBX! When one sim suffers from some updates the other sim gets some love! Good to have both even though I probably cannot afford it. Something about X-Plane and the flight dynamics and as you mentioned the feel of the cockpit is fantastic. Thanks for sharing those pictures now I have to find that beautiful Vulcan!

Cracking shots of some fine birds...I am now really struggling to leave xplane/TEGB...it really is so immersive.

Am hoping to continue to use P3D for tube flying with all the high end airliners I have ‘repurchased’ for it!...but...I get the feeling that when True Earth Washington appears I will be lost forever to x-plane :o

Have to agree Adam, P3D has some catching up to do, how far can they push the  old FSX engine? We have a situation where there are so many shader tweaks that it confuses the issue. It would be great to have a sim that didn’t need tweaking, reality being the goal, nature is hard to beat.

Archived