AYPY - AYNZ

Wakashi

As I said in a post a couple of days ago to @TigerTigerM I am very susceptible to certain flights after seeing them on the forum and this one is no exception, I had to go back to PNG for a "fix" of an hour or two and here are the results! 
175 nm 350* N from Moresby Airport AYPY to Nadzab Airport AYNZ in Lae, PNG, nice mountainous flight.  FL110 was a bit high for the DC3 but we made it fine (slight headaches for crew).  

1. Just finished loading the cargo at the gate, ready for taxi to 32L

GeAyDhb.jpg

2.Lined up and waiting for clearance!

t8Xjhjx.jpg

3. Tailwheel up, rolling nicely!

5UO0teq.jpg

4. V1 - Rotate, Positive rate!

Zif1l9H.jpg

5. Gear up, on our way out of the area!

seLtO0F.jpg

6. Our first mountain view (looks lush and dense)!

LIpvTOU.jpg

7. Nice and hazy shot in the distance.

Ber3aM0.jpg

8. First view of the valley leading to AYNZ City of Lae in the distance ahead.

zccSnhS.jpg

9. Airport is to our left, we want Rwy 27.

KG43wkR.jpg

10. I guess you'll just have to take my word, we are lined up with 27, approach speed 80 kts
5Y7oFAA.jpg

11. Getting close now, everything good! 

gKoNXdA.jpg

12. Here we are!

dnSJPj3.jpg

13. Told ya we were lined up good!  Hope you enjoyed the flight & Thanks for looking 

gnm7G3k.jpg

Ah, Wakashi, nice shots which also  reminded me of my earlier days as a young airport engineer when we re-built Nadzab from an old WW2 Japanese and then American airstrip.  It was in the mid-1970s and it was Australia’s gift to the then newly independant PNG.  Thanksfor the trip down memory lane.  Cheers.

10 hours ago, VH-KDK said:

You are very Laed back in these series of images Roger.:wacko:

A wonderful area to fly around in and you have chosen the perfect plane to do it in.

Good one Martyn “Laed back”! :lol:  Probably should have found a proper reg, but figured why not go with what ya got!  Thanks for looking Sir!

9 hours ago, flsm (Frank) said:

Ah, Wakashi, nice shots which also  reminded me of my earlier days as a young airport engineer when we re-built Nadzab from an old WW2 Japanese and then American airstrip.  It was in the mid-1970s and it was Australia’s gift to the then newly independant PNG.  Thanksfor the trip down memory lane.  Cheers.

Very interesting Sir, that must have been quite the job to have back then or now for that matter!  Who would have thought I would trigger a memory for someone on this forum by just randomly choosing a destination airport, glad you liked it and Thanks! :)

Lovely shots mate - did that trip (except to old Lae Airport not Nadzab) many times as a passenger in DC3s operated by a number of airlines (Mandated, Patair, Ansett, TAA) before they were phased out by F27s.  You never knew which route the DC3s were going to follow, or how long a trip,  as the weather closed out their height capability depending on load and insulation, oxygen or pressurization capability (most had little if any of theses).  But they nearly always got there either directly or through numerous alternative gap routes and usually quite comfortably.

2 hours ago, TerribleT said:

Lovely shots mate - did that trip (except to old Lae Airport not Nadzab) many times as a passenger in DC3s operated by a number of airlines (Mandated, Patair, Ansett, TAA) before they were phased out by F27s.  You never knew which route the DC3s were going to follow, or how long a trip,  as the weather closed out their height capability depending on load and insulation, oxygen or pressurization capability (most had little if any of theses).  But they nearly always got there either directly or through numerous alternative gap routes and usually quite comfortably.

That must have been very interesting at times I would guess!  Even in the sim I had to fly through a few gaps and around a few peaks to try and stay under FL110 (mostly to see if I could do it).  I’ll bet those are some wonderful memories from a time past.  Thanks for sharing and for taking the time to comment on the post, much appreciated! :D

Archived