Where does TE GB South P3D lose its fps?

pmb

I own all ORBX Scenery and while it generally runs very well on my system - sometimes better than reported on higher-end systems - I found True Earth GB South for P3D a real disappointment. While download and installation proceeded with nearly full speed and flawlessly, a startup time of 18 min from SSD with all scenery outside Europe ticked off is inacceptable.

But aside this, the real disappointment came after taking off from EGLL (AS/Sim Wings) with TE GB in the background. While I could handle this combo in the "old" LC-based ORBX England (which was not a performance booster either), TE South gave me around 10 fps turning to 15 accompanied by a lot of stutters enroute to London, so something must be out of order in my settings, otherwise the scenery wouldn't have be released. Thus, I wanted to find the limiting factor. This even more, as the XP11 pendant (+ AS EGLL XP) runs with 20-30 fps, and smoothly. And even more, as this was not in a full-fledged airliner but a wee little Carenado C172RG with cockpit off and scenery only (I use a hardware panel).

Thus, I made a systematic investigation where the fps got lost. Please keep in mind it does apply to MY system (see signature). I sat out with a fresh prepar3d.cfg as Prepar3d found appropriate for my system. 50 fps at takeoff - WOW. Of course, this lacks a lot of fun and notably is way below the suggestions according to the ORBX TE South manual.

Next, I raised settings to see where fps got lost:

Graphics

AA Med -> Max (8xSSAA):                                        50 fps

Texture Filtering -> 16x                                             50 fps

Texture Res 1024 -> 2048                                        50 fps

(I left fps to infinite and Vsync off for now). Obviously those settings do no harm to my system, supposedly in view of the 1080Ti.

World

Terrain

LOD Med-> Max                                                         47 fps

Tesselation High -> Ultra                                          47 fps

Mesh 19m -> 5m                                                        46 fps

Texture Resolution 1m -> 7cm                                 45 fps

Still fine to go.

Scenery Objects

Scenery Complexity normal -> ext. dense                                     45 fps

Autogen veg. density normal -> ext. dense                                   44 fps

Autogen building density normal -> ext. dense                            43 fps

Autogen draw distance Medium -> Very High (not yet Ext.!)     23 fps

I was surprised to see low impact of Autogen density, but Autogen draw distance is the first deal-braker with roughly half of the fps lost, and not unexpected given my system is certainly CPU-limited. As a sidenote, I expected autogen to load in patches over London with "very high", as I observed in the SF Bay area and others, but this was quite mild and much less disturbing than in other areas, so this is handled well.

Special Effects

Special effects (both)                                                                22 fps

Lighting

Shadow draw distance low -> high                                         22 fps

Building cast                                                                              15 fps

Vegetation cast                                                                         14 fps

High-res terrain ticked (+restart)                                          14 fps

Building cast ist the second deal-breaker, just marking the transition from usable to unusable, and a bit unexpected to me. I thought a 1080Ti could handle all shadows trouble-free, but obviously it can't. On the other hand, given the number of buildings, there are a huge amount of shadows to draw - obviously too many to handle them.

I could confirm the two major steep jumps qualitatively in-flight over London.

This analysis may certainly not apply to any system but just to mine. However, just turning off building shadows I can do a GA flight from EGLL to EGLC (UK2000). On the other hand, wasn't the ability to effectively use shadows one of the great achievements of Prepar3d over FSX?

This analysis did only concern fps, but did not go into some other issues. One is stuttering, which is even more obvious as the XP11 pendant just flies fluently (say, with perhaps 1 or 2 very tiny stutters) over London. Another one is visual quality. Ground terrain is far from looking as clear as the XP pendant, and roads look pretty bad as well. Plus a loading time of 18 min is inacceptable. You will also notice, I didn't touch traffic settings, and I should add UTLive was running (with mild settings) during all tests. I may have a look into these factors later, but thought the fps analysis might be interesting as such.

Kind regards, Michael

Thanks for posting this, Michael. I have only had a couple of goes with TE GBS P3 so far. The first was a local flight out of Exeter and around my home area (Torquay & Dartmoor) and it wasn't too bad. Not hugely smooth and the occasional stutter but the overall experience is such an improvement over the landclass based England (which I've never really liked) that I was (am) more than happy.

But my next attempt was out of Southend (EGMC) and up the Thames to London. Getting a fair amount of stutters over Southend, but as I approached London it became almost unflyable. Slide show doesn't even get close, more like walking around a gallery <grin>. It was so slow responding to key/stick input I actually did a couple of loops trying to stay airborne! To give it its due though, it never actually crashed out on me.

But, and it's a big but, I was running with my normal settings, which is everything pretty much maxed out and at full 4k. So today I was planning to experiment with my settings - and you've given me a whole bunch of prompts to start with! I don't like to have to dial back my settings, and it may be that I just have to accept that if I want to fly in TE GB around the likes of London I have to stick with XP, but that certainly won't be a problem. Maybe I'll buy a lottery ticket when I go out - I feel the need for a couple of Titan RTXs building up!

Two things to note here:

P3D V4 is CPU dependent just as FSX is.  Graphics card specs will allow higher frame rates and greater draw distances in some instances but the absolute determiner of fps is CPU load, and number of object s and shadow drawing is right in that problem area.  Despite claims to the contrary the sim still relies principally on one core, which is why the new 8800k and 9 series chips will give smoother performance over London, much smoother than my i7 4790K which really struggles.

For loading time see many posts  at this forum detailing how you can reduce loading time with the use of a scenery config editor to untick all scenery layers except the few you will need.  You can say loading times are unaccepatble but it's an FSX coding oddity carried over to P3D and until someone finds a way around it, disabling scenery layers is the best and quickest solution.

14 minutes ago, John Dow said:

For loading time see many posts  at this forum detailing how you can reduce loading time with the use of a scenery config editor to untick all scenery layers except the few you will need.  You can say loading times are unaccepatble but it's an FSX coding oddity carried over to P3D and until someone finds a way around it, disabling scenery layers is the best and quickest solution.

I don't worry too much about loading time but wait what P3D4.5 will bring to the table right now. Doesn't make much sense to waste time experimenting at that point. I already use SimStarter with a "Europe" profile, but might make granularity smaller to just GB or even GB South (as I did for France VFR already).

And yes, I agree at least my machine is essentially CPU bound with core 0 running close to 100 % and the others varying. The amazing thing is, all cores running pretty much full under XP11 in TE, so it obviously can be done another way.

Kind regards, Michael

I have to agree.  The long loading times are brutal.  I was really looking forward to this, but I am very disappointed in this product. I find that it runs poorly and has bad blurries over London compared to none over Amsterdam in HD Netherlands a product I am very satisfied with. 

53 minutes ago, pmb said:

I don't worry too much about loading time but wait what P3D4.5 will bring to the table right now. Doesn't make much sense to waste time experimenting at that point. I already use SimStarter with a "Europe" profile, but might make granularity smaller to just GB or even GB South (as I did for France VFR already).

And yes, I agree at least my machine is essentially CPU bound with core 0 running close to 100 % and the others varying. The amazing thing is, all cores running pretty much full under XP11 in TE, so it obviously can be done another way.

Kind regards, Michael

Yes I just did a flight in XP11 over London after applying the new performance tip for XP11 and the flight was smooth as silk all the way.  Unfortunately P3DV4 cannot generate the same smoothness due to the coding from before 2005.  However, I prefer the look and feel of P3DV4, and as it runs nicely everywhere else in TE GB South, for my GB flights it will remain my sim of choice. If I get the urge to fly over London, then I'll crank up XP11 for the experience.

I fixed the loading time issue.  Got me a scenery config editor and turned almost everything off except  HDGBS and poof 1 minute load times.  I think it made a difference with the blurries too, because that is fixed too.  LOD medium Scenery complexity medium all autogen on extremely dense.

17 minutes ago, ArtFlyer said:

I fixed the loading time issue.  Got me a scenery config editor and turned almost everything off except  HDGBS and poof 1 minute load times.  I think it made a difference with the blurries too, because that is fixed too.  LOD medium Scenery complexity medium all autogen on extremely dense.

That looks as though the stellar work carried out by FTXC is being undermined. Remember when you had to make sure you were flying in the correct area? I've uninstalled TEGB for the time being. It's not as if I'm a 'All settings hard right' man. 

Thanks, I'll try this tonight. I use SimStarter, thus I can make a profile with just TE GB active. However, there are the ORBX airports, the enhanced airports from FTX EU LC and a host of UK2000, plus AS EGLL...

Anyway, I'll try it.

Kind regards, Michael

Michael thanks for sharing the problem is that the development approach is fundamental wrong...

I find it amazing to choose the route to choose 3d objects (normally auto gen buildings not the case here ;-) and tied to the scenery complexity slider.

This is just the problem to many objects for P3D software to handle, it looks great but not usable.

With TENL there is at least a control panel in which you can exclude objects to improve performance.

I will stay polite as possible, but I'm not impressed with the technical implementation with this product.

Almost a port over from XPlane implementation to P3D :blink:

For the fun will buy the region for XP to test there and my guess is that will be fine...

Time maybe for me to say enough is enough, despite all the great and hard work from you guys, but it isn't usable in it's current implementation.

Another region to write of to the recycle bin :'(

12 minutes ago, awf said:

For the fun will buy the region for XP to test there and my guess is that will be fine...

That's the amazing thing. I own the XP version (actually all three of them) and it performs and looks (aside from some XP-caused shimmers) fine.

Kind regards, Michael

1 hour ago, pmb said:

That's the amazing thing. I own the XP version (actually all three of them) and it performs and looks (aside from some XP-caused shimmers) fine.

Kind regards, Michael

Hi Michael,

I am presuming that x-plane handles TEGB far better than P3Dv4.4...what are your load times like for it compared to P3Dv4 long load times?

Also from what I have seen of XP TEGB roads, they are much sharper than P3dv4 roads...as well as scenery appearing sharper as well?

Also it appears performance is far far better in x-plane compared to TEGB in P3Dv4.4, is this correct?

Are you able to feedback in more detail your experiences of True Earth GB South in both sims please, would greatly appreciate your opinion as I am close to biting the bullet on XP - tks

PS: I would only use XP for TEGB and vfr, keeping my huge P3D setup for everythinng else...unless P3Dv4.5 can i prove on matters.

21 minutes ago, Capt Pugwash said:

Hi Michael,

I am presuming that x-plane handles TEGB far better than P3Dv4.4...what are your load times like for it compared to P3Dv4 long load times?

Also from what I have seen of XP TEGB roads, they are much sharper than P3dv4 roads...as well as scenery appearing sharper as well?

Also it appears performance is far far better in x-plane compared to TEGB in P3Dv4.4, is this correct?

Are you able to feedback in more detail your experiences of True Earth GB South in both sims please, would greatly appreciate your opinion as I am close to biting the bullet on XP - tks

PS: I would only use XP for TEGB and vfr, keeping my huge P3D setup for everythinng else...unless P3Dv4.5 can i prove on matters.

Curious to and maybe XP user(s) TEGB with 16 gb ram will share their experience ?

37 minutes ago, Capt Pugwash said:

Hi Michael,

I started to write a reply, quickly detecting this would lead to an off-topic detour. I'll PM you, instead.

Kind regards, Michael

17 hours ago, pmb said:

Kind regards, Michael

Tested and the difference in performance is night and day in XP very smooth with an airliner :blink:...

Since the difference between TENL and TEGB, looks like this one isn't as polished as it should be (no seasons and control panel for object performance tuning)...

17 hours ago, pmb said:

Kind regards, Michael

Yep, I've been experimenting these past couple of days and I'm not getting any real joy out of the P3D version of TE anywhere even remotely near London. I've dialed all my settings  back, even tried running at 1920x1080 instead of 4k and I'm still in slide-show mode at best anywhere near the city. I've tried all the various suggestions from JV and others that I've seen posted here but I'm not getting anything that feels workable. It's ok in some other areas (like the West Country) but starting anywhere within maybe 30 miles of London, or even approaching to that sort of distance after a reasonable start somewhere saner, and it slowly dies on me. The only way I can even get near Heathrow is by dropping my screen res way down as above.

I suspect I shall abandon it for now and stick with XP for UK exploration. That's no hardship at all, but I would have liked to feel more comfortable with the P3D version. I guess I'll have to wait until either LM come up with a revised version of P3D that can work this sort of scenery better or Intel comes out with a 6 or 7 gig processor!

A shame after all Orbx's hard work - it looks great but in some areas I can't even retain control of the aircraft - the input lag is so great. If I've missed anything obvious and someone from Orbx reads this and tells me - "hey, just set 'thingy' to 'xxx', you idiot" - that's fine by me as well - I'd be very happy to find I'm just doing something moronic and it can all be made good after all.

14 minutes ago, andy1252 said:

Yep, I've been experimenting these past couple of days and I'm not getting any real joy out of the P3D version of TE anywhere even remotely near London. I've dialed all my settings  back 

I assume this included Autogen + Scenery Distance to Medium, ALL shadows off and fps set to 20. This finally did the trick for me. It's not running great -  even less in comparison to the XP version - but working, at least.

Kind regards, Michael 

Nice thread here.  Thanks Michael.  I have one simple question.

How do I disable this in the Scenery Library if I want to? 

I know the four Nick mentioned will disable the original FTX England but didn't see TEGB or maybe I glossed over it.

Thanks. 

7 minutes ago, Jack Sawyer said:

I know the four Nick mentioned will disable the original FTX England but didn't see TEGB or maybe I glossed over it.

Thanks. 

I (and some others around here) use SimStarter (google) with a specific profile for TE GB. I think there are also free alternatives, though (Scenery Config Editor).

You can do it manually using notepad, but that's nasty and error-prone.

Kind regards, Michael 

4 minutes ago, pmb said:

I (and some others around here) use SimStarter (google) with a specific profile for TE GB. I think there are also free alternatives, though (Scenery Config Editor).

You can do it manually using notepad, but that's nasty and error-prone.

Kind regards, Michael 

Thanks Michael, I bought SimStarter a while ago but never used it, seemed way too much for what I need.  Then in P3D 32 bit I used the heck out of SCE.

But that wasn't what I was asking, I wanted to know the specific file name to untick in P3D's scenery library itself.

15 minutes ago, Jack Sawyer said:

Thanks. 

Jack, the TE entries all begin "FTX_EU_!GBS_". Note the exclamation mark, which is there to make sure it sits on top of the the normal EU entries

17 minutes ago, Jack Sawyer said:

Thanks Michael, I bought SimStarter a while ago but never used it, seemed way too much for what I need.  Then in P3D 32 bit I used the heck out of SCE.

But that wasn't what I was asking, I wanted to know the specific file name to untick in P3D's scenery library itself.

Hi Jack,

I have more than 600 sceney levels.. .do you want me to name all I deactivated? ;)

Seriously, I deactivated all except 

TE GB (FTX_EU_!GBS_05_SCENERY etc.) 

ORBX EU GB (FTX_EU_ENG_05_SCENERY etc.),

Orbxlibs (FTXAA_ORBXLIBS.),

ORBX airports (FTX_AA_EGHA and the like)

and a hand full of UK2000 (these are add-on.xml) and a couple more airports. I think that's it.

Of course all base sceneries were left active as well.

Kind regards, Michael

2 minutes ago, pmb said:

Hi Jack,

I have more than 600 sceney levels.. .do you want me to name all I deactivated? ;)

Seriously, I deactivated all except 

TE GB (FTX_EU_!GBS_05_SCENERY etc.) 

ORBX EU GB (FTX_EU_ENG_05_SCENERY etc.),

Orbxlibs (FTXAA_ORBXLIBS.),

ORBX airports (FTX_AA_EGHA and the like)

and a hand full of UK2000 (these are add-on.xml) and a couple more airports. I think that's it.

Of course all base sceneries were left active as well.

Kind regards, Michael

No need to name them all Michael.  I was just interested in the TEGB.  Andy above told me which one I need too untick, thanks.

If I understand, you should leave the old LC-based FTX EU ENG active as well (if you own it) as it contains upgraded airports which are not part of TE (although I didn't confirm this myself yet). 

Kind regards, Michael

47 minutes ago, GSalden said:

Thanks Nick. 

One question : why with shadows you have Receive enabled as no Cast is enabled ? 

Cast and receive are different and independent shadow functions.  cast shadow is obvious in that the objects casts its own shadow.  Receive shadow means the object becomes darker when it is in another object's shadow (ie clouds) Autogen buildings particularly look unfeasibly bright when sitting in a cloud shadow when 'receive' shadows are enabled.

2 hours ago, kevinfirth said:

Cast and receive are different and independent shadow functions.  cast shadow is obvious in that the objects casts its own shadow.  Receive shadow means the object becomes darker when it is in another object's shadow (ie clouds) Autogen buildings particularly look unfeasibly bright when sitting in a cloud shadow when 'receive' shadows are enabled.

If nothing casts shadows then receive will do nothing.

If you do not select Cast with clouds no Cloud shadows will show up...

You know that Kevin..B)

Well, I just set my system to use Nick's settings, and it's still very creaky anywhere near major built up areas. I had to go down to 1920*1080 to survive around Heathrow, but could go up a notch in more open surroundings and be smooth-ish with relatively minor stutters.  I've just put my screen size back up to 4k (everything else as Nick's settings) and set out from Leicester and that was ok over open countryside but again, as I approached Coventry the scenery gets blurry and I start to stutter.

I shall try Wales next. But I'm definitely beginning to feel that this is not for me. I don't want to have to reduce my settings this far just to get an almost flyable experience, especially when I can run it ok in X-Plane. Not quite given up on it yet, but one of the main joys for me is the panoramic vistas on my 4k 40 inch monitor and if I have to reduce that down to get rid of the stuttering it's not worth it for me. 1920 x 1080 just looks wrong on a 40 inch screen (to my eyes, anyway).

Again, not a criticism of the product, but my setup, with the current state of P3D processing capability, doesn't seem to want to drive it along the way I want to see it. My tough, I guess.

8 minutes ago, kevinfirth said:

Who on earth would run without cloud shadows? :p

At the Cast side you choose what shadows you would like to see and at the Receive side you choose on what the choosen shadows show up. 

So only choosing the Receive side and nothing at the Cast side results in No shadows at all ...

Myself I use

- Cast : clouds / terrain

- Receive : buildings / vegetation / Sim objects ( = addon airports )

Then it will look like this ( TE NL )

Orbx%20NL%20-%20mod%201.jpg

Orbx%20NL%20-%20mod%203.jpg

After 5 hours I am delighted to announce I have got TE to run smoothly on my £4000 water-cooled overclocked I9-9900k @5GHX and 2080TI :) 

Advice

- Never pan the view

- Try not to bank over 5 degrees

- Disable ALL custom airports including Orbx EGHI
- Do not use outside views

- No flying near London / EGLL / EGKK

- Fly under 60kts

- No custom or complex aircraft / no Garmin

- Disabled SIMLink

- Disabled Active Sky - disable clouds/overcast/fog 

- Disabled Chase Plane

General

- Road Traffic OFF

- AI Aircaft OFF

Graphics

- Lock to 18FPS couldnt quite manage 20FPS, still stuttering

- VSync Off 

- Shadows OFF Both receive and cast

- Dynamic Lighting OFF

- Dynamic Reflections OFF

Weather

- Draw distance Minimum

Terrain

- Level of detail radius NORMAL

- Mesh 2m

- Texture resolution 15cm

- High res textures DISABLED

Scenery

- Complexity NORMAL

- Autogen draw distance MEDIUM

- Autogen complexity NORMAL

So just fire it up, wait 15 minutes and boom TE South smooth! A horrible sight but at least its smooth. Utilisation GPU 10% / CPU 1-5% :lol:  

EDIT: still get freezes and stutters in London if I bank or pan the view, so only fly straight.

EDIT: Other things tried which didn't help various Affinity Masks, FFTP 0.1, FFTP 0.3, BufferPools=0, increased PageFile

Give me an hour with your £4000 Uber PC and I can get P3D working as smooth as butter, with no freezes and no stutters. Most of the improvements will come from outside the P3D environment, and your prepar3d.cfg file will be deleted and rebuilt with zero tweaks.

I suspect a lot of the issues being listed in this and other topics are basically poorly optimised Windows 10 environments and over-optimistic sliders in P3D.

15 minutes ago, John Venema said:

I suspect a lot of the issues being listed in this and other topics are basically poorly optimised Windows 10 environments and over-optimistic sliders in P3D.

And it takes different slider settings to fly different aircraft, and different slider settings again for the same aircraft in different places....

But as JV rightly says (and I suspect you'll take a little flak for it?), your PC has to be properly configured to be able to make the most of the scenery.

2 hours ago, John Venema said:

Give me an hour with your £4000 Uber PC and I can get P3D working as smooth as butter, with no freezes and no stutters. Most of the improvements will come from outside the P3D environment, and your prepar3d.cfg file will be deleted and rebuilt with zero tweaks.

You patronising so and so's.. you 2 dont even have TE installed right?

I've been doing this 30 years and outside of TE I've P3D running perfectly and with no stutters or tweaks other than affinity mask. Being a programmer (graphics and computational risk engines) helps, so yes at the risk of sounding like you, a know it all, I understand the nvidia shader pipeline a bit better than most! I do not run all the sliders maxed and I am well aware of what sceneries and aircraft need what sliders.

The arrogance on these forums at times is outstanding. I have TE, you don't and you're on here telling me its my sliders, prepare config and Windows setup and how buttery you'd have it running, priceless! I'll take a lot of flak, you've some cheek!

I guess the £4000 PC comment triggered you, fair enough, could have left that out but the point is there is something fundamentally wrong with this scenery (I actually think I might be close to understand whats gone wrong, looks like they've ballsed up the Scenery Complexity setings Normal=VERY DENSE, more analysis to come).

But hey John and Kevin my 3DMark benchmark results are attached below, can you 2 experts check if my Windows 10 is optimised properly LOL! Thanks x

IMG-20181214-WA0022[10660].jpg

9 hours ago, Nick Cooper said:

Hello,

for those who cannot make this work with a PC equal to or

greater than mine, here is a series of images of it working.

Hi Nick,

I think my system is not too far from yours, thus I copied your settings to the iota. Even including screen resolution which is different from mine. The result is as follows. 

TE_West_Heathrow.thumb.jpg.f391639fd8285b74e2ddab5dc89ffb75.jpg

This is West of EGLL, but with a view to the West, i.e. contrary to London. I was tempted to make the shot brighter using Photoshop but resisted so this is straight "V"-key only, including your weather setting. I deliberately choose the Maule, which certainly isn't a heavy.  While the flight is stutter-free, I only attain 23 fps (of the set 30) and upon closer inspection the scenery is still blurred.

Now I don't know where to proceed from here. According to John it's our machines. I have to admit I was proud my machine renders nearly all other scenery so far (including phoscenery) quite fine which makes me hesitant to modify too much with the possible outcome of all the other scenery being compromised. Still I can't exclude something is wrong with the machine, of course. If John wants to spend an hour optimizing my machine that's totally fine, I'll send him my address via PM and wait.

Otherwise my options are (i) Bring it to the shop and asking for optimization (or, alternatively un-optimization?) -  one week, outcome uncertain.  (ii) Reinstall Windows including all my work-related stuff and several sims  estimated < 2 weeks, outcome uncertain as well (iii) Go throught the registry or throw some dubious optimization programs upon it... I better don't. (iv) Remove REX + Envtex textures (I don't use any shader mods at this time), perhaps to only find it doesn't help either.

I am really running out of viable ideas at this point.

Kind regards, Michael

Archived