One or Many?

Hi all. My Forum time is spent between this Forum and the Screenshot Forum. There is a wonderful variety of people populating the two. One thing I notice is that some folks seem to spend a lot of time in one or two planes, whereas others (like myself) prefer to jump around from plane to plane. The Limited Library guys get very good with their aircraft and take them on technical routes all over the world and into the world's most demanding airports. The Unlimited Library guys like me tend to hop around VFR for sightseeing and for a chance to try a plane we may not know well. My question is -- do you tend one way or another?

I'm in the 'many' camp.  Not as many as I did in FSX, but more than two or three.  They had tended to be from a small number of sim plane makers, but as more have appeared in V4, that number has grown.  I avoid the mass production makers...

Many category, mostly add-ons.  I do a while on low-and-slow, then go to tubes and back again.  Also look at all the forums with the exception of the screenies (once in awhile) and dedicated fori to other sims. 

What’s your definition of many?!? :) 

I mainly fly the A2A V-Tail, RealAir Turbine Duke, and RealAir Legacy. But I’ve a ton of other aircraft from A2A, RealAir, LotusSim, Vertx, etc. 

How’s that for a non-answer? LOL!

I fly the Mooney Bravo almost exclusively.  I use the version published by Perfect Flight Private Fleets.  It is mostly the same as the default, but I find the ground hadling and the sound marginally better.  I have a few hours in each, the Beech Baron, C152 and C172, all by Carenado, but about 3000 in the Mooney. 

I have the A2A V-Tail, but I've yet to fly it.  I use a mostly Saitik cockpit on a networked computer set-up with SpadneXt for all gauges and most controls, and no-one, so far, has been able to tell me how to set up the LVar Bridge on a network.  All attempts I've made so far have failed

Ken

I fit the One (or few) category. Usually time is spent between the A2A 172, 182 and the 250 Comanche. On occasion the A2A J3 Cub. Highest amount of hours is in the C 182. I’d love to get into twins, but will not bother until a decent study level is available, preferably from A2A. Having my PPL, tend to do things more by the book.

It depends on the flight plan

If it is San Fran to Lax I fly a PMDG beast.

If it is Darrington to Concrete I fly a 210

If it is a water landing say Vancouver to Nanaimo  I fly a Milviz beaver.

If I buy a new airport I use a helicopter to flay all around it in various times like Day, Dusk, Night

If it is a business flight say Half Moon Bay to Santa Barbara I use a Business Jet.

If it is a small family strip like Israel's Farm I walk around it with the Avatar.

Still trying to find a good A380 in P3D4 so I can go Sydney Singapore.

Cheers

Ken

14 hours ago, Ken Terry said:

It depends on the flight plan

If it is San Fran to Lax I fly a PMDG beast.

If it is Darrington to Concrete I fly a 210

If it is a water landing say Vancouver to Nanaimo  I fly a Milviz beaver.

If I buy a new airport I use a helicopter to flay all around it in various times like Day, Dusk, Night

If it is a business flight say Half Moon Bay to Santa Barbara I use a Business Jet.

If it is a small family strip like Israel's Farm I walk around it with the Avatar.

Cheers

Ken

That's a nice combination of the two approaches. One plane-type for a specific kind of flight, but many kinds of flight. I like it!

Everyone will have their own take on whether to have a few aircraft that they know intimately or several to give variety.

I'm in the latter group and have the following:
A2A's PA-28 and JF's C152 for VFR sightseeing; out and back to fields such as CYSE / NZMF / USMV
Beechcraft D18S Amphibian (freeware) for water aerodromes; out and back to CAC8 / CAG8 / CAX6
Majestic's Dash 8-400 for regional hops; YMLT to YMML / LOWI to EDDF
Aerosoft's A32x and PMDG B737 for short haul; LEBB to ESSA
Project Airbus (freeware) A380 and QualityWings B787 for long haul; EGLL to VHHH / OMDB to SBGL

That's probably too many, but I know the 380, 737 and PA-28 very well and I'm learning each of the others to the same competent standard.
There won't be any more aeroplane purchases as I feel I've covered all of the bases (Airbus vs Boeing / Regional vs SH vs LH / VFR vs IFR).

15 hours ago, Ken Terry said:

Ken, I use the freeware Project Airbus. It's a compromise in that it works well in P3D4, but needs the Thomas Ruth A340-600 VC, gauges and interior .mdl files to have a fully functioning virtual cockpit.
Downside is that it has no FMC, but I route plan using PFPX / SimBrief and import into P3D's route planner and choose GPS mode (instead of NAV) to act as managed HDG in the VC to follow the flightplan.

I think it's still a work of art in spite of its age and being free.
If you do install it, just watch the ailerons and see how well Project Airbus modelled the load alleviation functions.

I only fly a few depending on distance and landing surface; Real Air Duke, Phenom 300, Quest Kodiak or the Carenado 172.  I have a few others but rarely fly them.

For me its not the actual flying that counts.  Its seeing parts of the world I have no hope of ever seeing in real life.  For that reason I favour photographic scenery with all the terrain enhancements I can find.

I do  use Real World Weather and UT live Traffic, but that means I often see less of the world than I would like and do get held up occasionally by other aircraft but I suppose that's part of the hobby!

Anyway, happy new year to you all.  Have a good one.

Archived