Please make regions the old way

Japo32

Maybe there are not so many users asking this. Maybe yes. I cannot afford 120gb for a portion of a region. I cannot afford maybe 300-400gb for UK, or any part of USA in Xplane. That is the reason I cannot buy it. Even if you would give me for free.. I wouldn't install it. 

I don't need the perfect pixel position of where is the forest correct location. It is nice, but not the ammount of data to have that. Once I had the full Spain with photoreals, and it was 500gb. I uninstalled. Specially with SSD disk drives.

There are cheap external diskdrive with 4tb, but they are not SSD... and they are tremendously slow. Maybe there is no other way to make it in xplane. But I loved the autogen textures you made in P3D. A full region for only 4-5gb. That is what I would like to see in Xplane. A full FSGlobal substitution of textures in xplane. 

I love your way of doing regions.. but if you continue with TrueEarth method.. I won't be able to buy you anything. Thanks.

Or at least give us the option to not download and install all the GB of photoreal textures. We can install the 3D geometry over the default textures.

4 hours ago, Japo32 said:

Maybe there are not so many users asking this. Maybe yes. I cannot afford 120gb for a portion of a region. I cannot afford maybe 300-400gb for UK, or any part of USA in Xplane. That is the reason I cannot buy it. Even if you would give me for free.. I wouldn't install it. 

I don't need the perfect pixel position of where is the forest correct location. It is nice, but not the ammount of data to have that. Once I had the full Spain with photoreals, and it was 500gb. I uninstalled. Specially with SSD disk drives.

There are cheap external diskdrive with 4tb, but they are not SSD... and they are tremendously slow. Maybe there is no other way to make it in xplane. But I loved the autogen textures you made in P3D. A full region for only 4-5gb. That is what I would like to see in Xplane. A full FSGlobal substitution of textures in xplane. 

I love your way of doing regions.. but if you continue with TrueEarth method.. I won't be able to buy you anything. Thanks.

Or at least give us the option to not download and install all the GB of photoreal textures. We can install the 3D geometry over the default textures.

21 minutes ago, James Beale said:

HI Japo.

Spot on Mate.thing are getting out of Hand re Disc space and not all of use are yet on NBN in Australia, you are so right on the comment reP3pd.

Jim "BIGGLES"

I think you will have the choice that you want - see link below.  BTW, I am now addicted to photoscenery and my 10 TB HDD (not solid state) is not at all slow.  Cheers.

https://orbxsystems.com/forum/topic/163398-ftx-global-scenery-for-xp-and-macs/?tab=comments#comment-1437315

SSDs are now mainstream. You can now buy internal 2TB SSD drives for £279 (about AUD$400) so that would store all the TE regions we have released so far about ten times over. By the time we have released 2TB worth of TE regions the pricing will be half that again.

I am puzzled as to why people spend $3-4,000 on a new PC with the latest CPU/GPU and memory etc, but baulk at fast storage costs.

And we have not said we have stopped with any land class based region development at all. Don’t be scared by new tech - embrace it.

I have two of the three TE GB regions and they take only around 12% of a 2TB HDD/SSD (hybrid) drive that was cheap to purchase even a couple of years ago. So there's still plenty of room for more scenery.

Personally, I never liked the old method, no matter where you were it always looked the same to me. TE is much closer to realism, which is after all where things will always head towards.

It’s is rather funny that when we made landclass regions we had nothing but complaints about roads cutting through buildings, the lack of recognisable villages and towns, and people not being able to find their own house, this and that feature missing etc etc.

Now that we have delivered photoreal regions with absolute reality and accuracy, there is a call for a return to landclass regions because of disk space concerns. 

So so we can’t win either way :lol:

It is a win-win situation. some places will be suited for photoreal, others for landclass, such as the forthcoming Australia V2. There is and will continue to be plenty of options to explore in both. What happens in a decade, or beyond, is impossible to predict, but surely technology and products will continue to evolve or we would all still be flying with our Commodore 64.

You will always get the moaners and people who think they can do better and I’m sure John you had more people appreciate the scenery than the moaners. At the moment for myself I’m keeping Xplane for the True Earth and P3D for regions and  I’m quite happy with that. So keep it all coming and as long as I am around I will be buying. Derek.

32 minutes ago, John Venema said:

It’s is rather funny that when we made landclass regions we had nothing but complaints about roads cutting through buildings, the lack of recognisable villages and towns, and people not being able to find their own house, this and that feature missing etc etc.

I remember when England came out (LC), you said yourself it's so good but NO you won't be able to see your house :D

I own the Netherland for AF2, it'S sublime but now lately I am back flying around the Gold Coast and I still think it look marvelous.

My OS and P3D is on a 520GB SSD, the rest including AF2 is on a 3 TB HD and all is fine like that.  I guess that the SSD will be soon very affordable.

5 hours ago, John Venema said:

Indeed, I have never been totally happy with all your landclass regions because of all this.

Your TrueEarth product line is what I always dreamed of. Now thanks to new technology and cheaper and larger storage this has become reality and hopefully will be expanded broadly next year(s) for P3D too. I am very much looking forward to that.

Now that we have delivered photoreal regions with absolute reality and accuracy, there is a call for a return to landclass regions because of disk space concerns. 

.. which I hope you will not attach too much attention to.

I would rather have you focus on the TrueEarth product line than waste your time with yesterday's technology... At least for me I will never install a landclass product again now that I have seen TrueEarth NL in P3D 4.4.

1 hour ago, RALF9636 said:

... At least for me I will never install a landclass product again now that I have seen TrueEarth NL in P3D 4.4.

To each his own, but you'll be missing out on a lot of Orbx releases in the future and be restricted to flying only in NL and England for the time being.  For me, that's not a lot of variety, when the whole of North and South America and Europe are still available in Land Class.

2 minutes ago, Stewart Hobson said:

To each his own, but you'll be missing out on a lot of Orbx releases in the future and be restricted to flying only in NL and England for the time being.  For me, that's not a lot of variety, when the whole of North and South America and Europe are still available in Land Class.

I use other photoreal scenery while I wait for Orbx TrueEarth to cover more regions. :-)

1 minute ago, Stewart Hobson said:

The seasons not changing don't bother you?  I don't expect to see summer scenery when it's Spring or Fall, or even Winter.

It depends on where I fly. I don't care too much for the difference between spring, summer and fall. I rather have summer all the time than live with the deficits of landclass technology. As you say, to each his own. ;-)

If I really want to fly in winter I switch to landclass. But that rarely happens because I mostly fly in Central Europe and we rarely see much snow at all. For example right now P3D with landclass puts Central Europe under snow where we actually have around 10 degrees celsius here.

I gave up on photoreal scenery when I realized the seasonal changes with landclass products contributed more to the immersion.  The deficiencies of landclass don't matter that much to me and are not that noticeable if I don't focus on them.  I'm more interested in the flying the airplane than gawking at how perfectly photoreal scenery reproduces the Netherlands, especially if I don't even know what the Netherland looks like in real life--I wouldn't know the difference, if you  know what I mean, and it doesn't matter if I don't know the difference.  It's a simulation, after all.  It doesn't take much for me to suspend disbelief, knowing it's a simulation in the first place.  Anyway, thanks for your perspective.  I used to have a lot of photoreal scenery of the western US, but not anymore.  It takes up to much disc space and takes too long to load into the sim.

3 minutes ago, Stewart Hobson said:

... especially if I don't even know what the Netherland looks like in real life--I wouldn't know the difference, if you  know what I mean, and it doesn't matter if I don't know the difference.  

That is a very good point. Probably the more you know a region in the real world the more you would be disappointed by what you do not recognize in a landclass product compared to the photoreal scenery. For me I still enjoy PNW very much despite being mostly landclass because I don't really know that region in the real world very good. In contrary to that I was very disappointed to see how my hometown looked in Orbx Germany North. I could not recognize a thing apart from a few landmarks. That's why I installed a freeware photoreal scenery for almost all of Europe and I still use the Orbx objects on top of it which makes for a nice combination. Of course Orbx TrueEarth will look better....

Just activate NTFS compression on your SSD for ORBX texture folders (scenery folders are not further compressable tho). It will safe you 100s GB of space and wont slow down your loading times at all. I havent tried it with TE regions yet, since I dont have one installed.

So absolutely no reason to store those big BMP and DDS files uncompressed on a fast SSD.

And regarding TE regions, there will be as well landclass based regions in the future. Just think about it, its impossible to do like a "World TrueEarth"

or something like that in the near future.

1. there are still loads of areas with very bad ortho coverage.

2. sometimes too expensive to licence

3. no storage for that, unless ORBX find a method to shrink them together like with the download packages.

Even TE USA alone would need probably around 20 TB (yes TERABYTE) of storage since its far bigger than TE Netherlands for example which has around 120 GB or so...

But maybe when new tech is there, maybe in 10 years its possible to do that. Just look where we was in 2008 just 10 years ago lol...

19 hours ago, Stewart Hobson said:

The seasons not changing don't bother you?  I don't expect to see summer scenery when it's Spring or Fall, or even Winter.

I thought seasons won't neither change in the TE sceneries, because they are also based on PR images.

Archived