I miss Orbx "Bob" from the FSX days ....

renault

I miss my friend Bob, from the Orbx FSX/P3D days, so I worked up a little proceedure that allows one to go exploring all the wonderful new Orbx XPlane scenery on foot.  The following screenshot sequence show how to do it. We're going to take a closer look at Oceano County airport L52 and the surrounding area.

Walk around the plane

To do this you will need a plug-in called X-Camera from Stick and Rudder Studios ( https://www.stickandrudderstudios.com/x-camera/ ). Their free version works just fine for this, but doesn't allow you save any views. It's inexpensive and you may like to purchase the full copy. It is invaluable for screenshots of the plane in flight and works very well.

Lets start with the plane on a parking pad.

TfyHTJe.jpg

We will first do a walk around.  After installing the plug-in, select it under the plug-in menu in XPlane and bring up the main control panel.

To configure X Camera for a walk around view. Click "walk mode" and also smooth transition.

WHzBhus.jpg

Now when you go to exterior view, the hat on your joy stick will allow you to pan around the aircraft in a very smooth fashion.

The following screenshots are just for illustration from using the hat control to do the "walk around"

xyGrVWw.jpg

pREwBp2.jpg

A733PZ6.jpg

3lCnjw4.jpg

3oxvbfH.jpg

kth1YJR.jpg

Setting Up an "XPlane Bob"

You don't need XCamera for this ...

Go to Cockpit View and select crtl+w , which will give you a full forward view
z7yHLZ3.jpg

You should then see a full forward view
lxXOiUQ.jpg

Normal human vision field of view is about 105-107 degrees so go to the graphics screen and increase field of view to this value
XRdWjAy.jpg

You will now see something like this expanded view. Note that you know will see the shadow of the planes nose, which is good for direction,

but you may not want it for a screenshot. In that case simply reduce the FOV to around 75 degrees.
6aFGkVf.jpg

Now let's go for a bit of a walk and explore the airport and town ...
Nice planes .. I have a friend who is very much into yellow planes so he would like these

S48DEvm.jpg

Just coming up to the main entrance
yV3AWPS.jpg

Afternoon Ladies - very nice out today!
ffTNSyq.jpg

This is just a pleasant view of the airport are . Love the flowers. Very nice!
4gm4e4v.jpg

Now just to sneak out the back here ....
I wonder if folks stay here permently or it's just RV storage
Z08K4md.jpg

If you don't like the shadows from the aircraft nose just reduce the FOV
7ikt4Pj.jpg

And now we're into the parking lot
KWwqrhc.jpg

Umm ... I guess we could have used the gate
wBDrtC6.jpg

I wonder what's to see down at the end on the right ....
JVmErPd.jpg

Interesting ... yellow planes again! I know a chap who would say you could never have too many yellow planes....
pslFeIb.jpg

Now just past this car and to the right and we're at the parking lot entrance and the main road
pLP6AYW.jpg

It a nice surban street. Perfect for a walk
dkONvMS.jpg

And it just goes on. The urban planner, who laid this out (I think his name was Tony...) sure knew his stuff.
This really seems like the kind of community that would be great to live in.

l98AL1E.jpg

This is my friends house. I'll just stop in to say hello and maybe have a coffee and a chat ...
NqUSyxg.jpg

Gosh it's getting late. My shadow looks like I'm putting on weight again. Shouldn't have had all the chocolite chip cookies with the coffee I guess!
xmVi8My.jpg

My oh my. It is really getting on. Probably I shouldn't be walking in the dusk. Perhaps there a bus close by .....

W1SPleG.jpg

Or  perhaps I could just go into superfast mode (I can do that you know:D) and "jet" outta here.

srn98su.jpg

Thanks very much for viewing and I hope that this will inspire you to go on your own walking tours

Cheers

Renault

That was great Renault!  I'm sure a lot of people could benefit from this.  Cameras are very important to me, I wonder if they'll have a ChasePlane app for XP?  But I love the details and especially the yellow planes as you mentioned.  All very nicely done.

On 4/24/2018 at 12:16 AM, BradB said:

Awesome post my friend , thanks for the tutorial for X-Bob . BTW , that last shot is contest entry ready . :):)

Cheers

John

Thanks John. Very pleased you like it

Cheers!

R

On 4/24/2018 at 2:37 AM, Dadtom65 said:

Hi Renault. Thank you so much for that. I really must read the X Plane manual and had been thinking of getting X Camera plus a couple of other small programs. Derek.

You are most welcome sir!

I'm glad I was able to help

Cheers

Renault

On 4/24/2018 at 4:37 AM, VH-KDK said:

Another highly interesting tutorial even though I don't have XP.

Beautiful images of the airport and its surrounds.:)

Thank you Martyn. The credit all goes to Tony & Orbx though. They did a fantastic job :)

Cheers

R

On 4/24/2018 at 8:41 AM, Jack Sawyer said:

That was great Renault!  I'm sure a lot of people could benefit from this.  Cameras are very important to me, I wonder if they'll have a ChasePlane app for XP?  But I love the details and especially the yellow planes as you mentioned.  All very nicely done.

Thank you Jack.

See ya

R

23 hours ago, Orbxtreme said:

Thanks for the info and shots, I keep the info in reserve in case there is a choice to make later on.

Thanks!

Cheers

R

1 hour ago, caleb1 said:

Nice.  That last one would be great contest entry.

Thank you Caleb:). Glad you enjoyed it!

R

1 hour ago, Martin Poole said:

Fantastic Post  mate

Thanks Martin

R

Chaseplane for XP would be great, but I'm not sure it would be a success with XCamera on the market.

2 minutes ago, caleb1 said:
On 4/24/2018 at 10:41 AM, Jack Sawyer said:

Chaseplane for XP would be great, but I'm not sure it would be a success with XCamera on the market.

Thanks Caleb, XP later, for now P3D is enough but sometime this Summer.  I just don't know if it'll be allowed to have two PC's with different Orbx's on it.  I mean, I know the policy but what if someone has just Orbx's ZP freeware and Orbx's XP only payware on one PC and all the rest of their catalog on another PC?  I'll ask later I guess.  PC is being built as we speak from Jetline, I think Orbx uses some at their displays like this June but not 100% sure.  Sorry for the ramble.  Gotta run.

Thanks Caleb, XP later, for now P3D is enough but sometime this Summer.  I just don't know if it'll be allowed to have two PC's with different Orbx's on it.  I mean, I know the policy but what if someone has just Orbx's ZP freeware and Orbx's XP only payware on one PC and all the rest of their catalog on another PC?  I'll ask later I guess.  PC is being built as we speak from Jetline, I think Orbx uses some at their displays like this June but not 100% sure.  Sorry for the ramble.  Gotta run.

Same here. P3D is enough until maybe this fall or even early 2019. Then maybe I'll consider adding Xplane. If I do get Xplane, it will be in addition to P3D as a side simulator, not a replacement. I have no intention of leaving P3D. [emoji846] Its probably OK by the licence agreement to have separate products on separate PCs, as long as you don't have same same product installed twice on two PCs, but you'll need Orbx to clarify that for you.

As far as a PC, I'll probably be ok with my existing setup until P3D v5 comes out, then I'll probably make a new one (home built) [emoji846][emoji846]

Caleb

Hey Renault, I downloaded the free version and gave it a whirl.  It didn't appear to do much more than the ingame XP11 views so I gave up on it.  the developers claims it's better than the old EZDOK and I was a big fan of that so maybe I'll try again.

Archived