Need new computer.

flyingleaf

Sadly my trusted Acer is is getting too tired. I am looking at the Alienware Aurora intel core i5 8400, 8GB, 2666MHz, DDR4 up to 64GB, Nvidia GeForce GTX 1060 with 6 GB GDDR5. Oh and it's vr are ready. What do you guys think? To me that thing sounds great, however I have only three brain cells left:( and as soon as I turn on my pc, they start to misfire:wacko:. So your input is greatly appreciated.

5 minutes ago, Triplane said:

I agree...I'd spend the extra $350 and go with the 8700 and 1070. But, you can probably have a PC with the same specs built locally for less than the Alienware.....Doug

Or you can search out the gazillion guides online that give step by step instruction on building one yourself.

Good components practically fall together .

Learn how to do it....it's fun and of course a top of the line machine can be built for half you'd spend.

Another thing you learn is TROUBLESHOOTING !

Just my opinion.

Yes...I'm a senior coot, and naturally addled.<_<

I'd get that 8GB upgraded to 16GB.. With 64bit gaming 8GB is the new 4GB.. It's the minimum of what you should have.. Hell, P3D in just base/vector/OpenLC areas alone eats up 3GB of RAM.. It's higher in pure Orbx regions..

If you do a bit of research the I5 8400 is one of the best gaming CPU, especially for the price. 

I would still choose the I5 8600K over the 2. The 8600K can easily outmatch the I7 7700

Ben

Are we confused yet?.....So many choices.....Oh my, what to do.....:). After a bit of research do what your heart says is the best...for you. There is no real "right" answer. All things in the universe are relative and we all have personal preferences..........Doug

1 hour ago, Triplane said:

Are we confused yet?.....So many choices.....Oh my, what to do.....:). After a bit of research do what your heart says is the best...for you. There is no real "right" answer. All things in the universe are relative and we all have personal preferences..........Doug

Hey, look.

If you decide to build your own and run into trouble, we have enough coots here to easily bail you out.

I think we even have some that worked on the pyramids, and if you can build one of those you can handle a computer.

I built the one I'm writing this on and I have never had a single probl

Hi Karl,

A lot depends on what sim you are running.

From memory, are you using FSX at present? Do you intend to move to P3Dv4? 

Are you going for a high resolution 4K monitor or will you stay with your current one?

8 hours ago, paulb said:

Hi Karl,

A lot depends on what sim you are running.

From memory, are you using FSX at present? Do you intend to move to P3Dv4? 

Are you going for a high resolution 4K monitor or will you stay with your current one?

Hi Paul. I intent to use both. As for my monitor I use a 46" nec. Just love that size. Can't afford a high res. monitor at this time. Thanks for you input. k

20 hours ago, lawrence aldrich said:

Hey, look.

If you decide to build your own and run into trouble, we have enough coots here to easily bail you out.

I think we even have some that worked on the pyramids, and if you can build one of those you can handle a computer.

I built the one I'm writing this on and I have never had a single probl

+1. There is a wealth of knowledge and experience here (me probably excluded :lol:) The internet has literally hundreds  of "how-to-do it" articles on building a PC. Here's just one example  https://www.pcmag.com/article2/0,2817,2485172,00.asp  . Take a look at a couple of these before deciding to buy a pre-built rig. You'll have to trust me here but it's really not that complicated a process. And you'll get a lot of valuable experience and save a bundle of money.

Doug

I have to agree with both of them. Their comments are spot on...you will save money, be able to build a better machine, and learn A LOT how your machine works so you can more easily troubleshoot. And, building a PC yourself has never been easier! The hardware developers (most of the them) have really made building systems much more user friendly. 

4 hours ago, Triplane said:

+1. There is a wealth of knowledge and experience here (me probably excluded :lol:) The internet has literally hundreds  of "how-to-do it" articles on building a PC. Here's just one example  https://www.pcmag.com/article2/0,2817,2485172,00.asp  . Take a look at a couple of these before deciding to buy a pre-built rig. You'll have to trust me here but it's really not that complicated a process. And you'll get a lot of valuable experience and save a bundle of money.

Doug

2 hours ago, lawrence aldrich said:

Choose hardware carefully, and you can expect roughly a 50% higher quality computer for 35 to 50% less money.

:D

6 hours ago, Sniper31 said:

Okay, screwed up those last two posts...they should be combined into one :) I can build a PC, but I can't properly post in a forum it seems :D

N o Landon you didn't screw up. It's good advise. But I did order a new machine from dell and I do feel "buyers remorse" now that I get all the good advise. However my son in law (Oh boy not the"uncle" that knows all") told me it's not that easy anymore of building your own machine. I'll post the specs as soon as I can. Thank you so very much to all of my Friends on this wonderful forum.

Th e actual building part isn't all that hard.  What is hard is doing all the research online and in forums like this and then trying to decide on what components you want.  The, after you realize you can't afford the components you want, it is hard deciding what to cut back on.  I spent at least a month or more trying to decide what to do before I built my last one.

Archived