My XP11 experiment - it's getting better!

andy1252

So, following advice from Tonywob and M Donick, I did a bit of cleaning up of my scenery_packs.ini file and got my urban Chicago back -

387AGYb.jpg

ZP0PQQG.jpg

XaWinak.jpg

pZgUUf9.jpg

LOI3XEc.jpg

And then, while looking for something else to try and recover a lost option on my screen display, I thought I'd try changing my field of view from the default 60 degrees up to 90 degrees and whoo-hoo! I got my cockpit view back!

dAYCp5C.jpg

JhSKLyO.jpg

Next, courtesy of Bryan (fltsimguy) I got rid of my foggy haze and got my clarity back

0132Brj.jpg

but then thought I'd re-apply just a little bit of the haze -

aMu6IG6.jpg

And that's where I'm at now

DkWYaRO.jpg

cdRTp8g.jpg

fbsKRSz.jpg

lsLZ2Eq.jpg

I'm beginning to finally feel like I might be able to enjoy XP. Still a long way to go, and I'm not sure it'll ever replace P3D for me but it is certainly feeling more like fun now. Definitely looking forward to seeing more of the Orbx world showing up for XP. Also, thanks to PNW user for the info on Ortho4XP. That really does look interesting and I will certainly have a look at that, although I suspect that will be a much slower process.

Thanks to everyone who's offered help and advice so far, and I hope my small steps here might encourage other FSX/P3D users who might also have been unimpressed or frustrated with XP initially.

Hi Andy. All looking good, and like you I’m still pretty new to Xplane as well . Only been using it on and off for a couple of years. But the one bugbear I have is the look of Xplane like the textures. They all look a bit dull. I did try the reshade but I could not get it to work and that’s the thing with Xplane you have to really delve into it to get it right and that I don’t mind. I really like it. The other thing I meant to ask was how did you sort your haze out. Derek.

11 minutes ago, Dadtom65 said:

how did you sort your haze out. Derek.

Hi Derek, have a look here https://orbxsystems.com/forum/topic/150844-my-first-from-xp-11/?do=findComment&comment=1329473

Bryan (fltsimguy) gave me a link to a handy add-in. Works a treat. I think the haze is one of the main things that has been putting me off - it makes all the scenery look really dull to me. I accept that a pin sharp ultra colourful look may not be realistic from several thousand feet up (not that I'd know, my only experience of the view is out of a fogged up window in cattle class) but it's what I like!

27 minutes ago, Taph said:

Nice set

Cheers Taph!

Thanks Andy will look into that. Plus I’ve been looking into the Ortho4xp as well. Have downloaded the new Simheaven X Europe ready to install but that looks a bit to green so have not installed it yet. Derek.

It is starting to look good Andy. I have been tempted to get XP in recent years. But I have resisted buying it as I still have enough trouble remembering all of the FSX/P3D commands! :o

Not like 30 years ago when I probably had 20+ different flight simulators on my pc. Sadly the brain seems to slow down over time. :huh:

Thanks everybody. I seem to be having an XP few days right now, but I'm not abandoning P3D by any means. In fact, I'm looking forward to seeing it again almost from a new perspective. Already got a bunch of freeware airports downloaded waiting to go in and found a new source of possibly interesting payware ones, both these from posts here on the forum recently.

Meantime though, I'm downloading some of the Ortho tiles mentioned by PNW in these Meigs posts and will try those out in XP. Won't be able to actually post pix here but will be happy to report how it goes.

Interesting times!

Archived