(D-)FUKK it, EDKA -> EDLI

Mr.Mugel

Decided to use the night to check out GEN / GES post patch and selected a route I´ve recently traveled by car, from Aachen to Bielefeld. Aachen is GES and Bielefeld is GEN.

Off we go, over Aachen, looking for Highway A4 to Cologne first.

2018_1_4_1_26_6_844.jpg

Passing the huge open pit mines once again that are very specific for the region. You can see the biggest one on Google maps even when zooming out until you can see most of Europe.
2018_1_4_1_36_20_781.jpg

Above Rastplatz Frechen, with the car, this is the first time Cologne comes into sight.
2018_1_4_1_41_14_562.jpg

Leaving Cologne behind, following Autobahn 1 via the troublesome Leverkusen bridge. On the far side of the rhine the industrial complex of Köln-Niehl is taken up mostly by Ford.

2018_1_4_1_45_25_369.jpg

Spotted something, yes, nice old railway bridge just off Solingen (where the knifes come from). Time for an Hommage to Jack ;)
2018_1_4_1_49_1_704.jpg

And there we go, a barrel role through the valley under the bridge. A bit tough pulling back out, but made it.
2018_1_4_1_54_42_80.jpg

Quite some traffic around Dortmund airport. Didn´t actually know that the highway was that close to the airport. Next intersection is Kamener Kreuz, where I leave A1 to follow A2. Weather improved a bit, but still very windy.
2018_1_4_2_11_47_912.jpg

Almost there, this is the town of Gütersloh, with the RAF base on the left and the huge Miele factory grounds on the right.

2018_1_4_2_24_17_680.jpg

Approaching Bielefeld.
2018_1_4_2_27_39_162.jpg

An old trick to familiarize with an airfield. Throttle wide open and blasting over the runway. Seen that done by a Mustang on a small air show and the crowd was quite pleased by that completely safety orientated familiarization manouver.
2018_1_4_2_31_56_498.jpg

On final, but I botched the approach, 24kts side winds with medium turbulences seems a bit much for the Harvard.
2018_1_4_2_34_46_203.jpg

After going around I managed to put her onto the tarmac, not very pretty but intact. Shut her down for the next time.
2018_1_4_2_44_46_68.jpg

They say a good landing is one you can walk away from, a perfect one leaves the plane in usable condition. That was a quite fitting description of the landing.

To summarize the GEN / GES update thoughts, I think that the update was very good. The overall image was quite convincing, and at least the small towns and villages fit into the landscape very well. Industrial areas still feature more obvious borders, but I believe with Landclass that can hardly be improved. The discussed photo scenery would solve this, but having recently bought GEN / GES (well, not that recently, but still) and looking at the file sized it´d take some convincing screens to make me part with more money for FS. Also blurries could be an issue for me, so maybe it would be good to discuss such a product after seeing the Netherlands in action.

I thank the FTX team for the updates which I really appreciate!

Btw. sorry for the quite dark scenery again, I need to tweek the PTA setting for cloud shadow darkness, a bit less impact of the shadows would be better, I guess.

Cheers,

Lennart

45 minutes ago, VH-KDK said:

Glorious set Lennart.

Excellent views of the scenery and a very informative narration aided by some local knowledge no doubt!:)

+1 - Plus your post name , well for me - words to live by . :unsure::rolleyes::o:lol:

John

8 hours ago, VH-KDK said:

Glorious set Lennart.

Excellent views of the scenery and a very informative narration aided by some local knowledge no doubt!:)

Thank you, it´s the route from my current place to where I grew up, usually do it by car so it was nice to follow it in FS.

8 hours ago, BradB said:

+1 - Plus your post name , well for me - words to live by . :unsure::rolleyes::o:lol:

John

Sometimes nothing else helps :D

7 hours ago, kjrman said:

I enjoyed the trip, thanks for taking me along.  Good narration!

Thanks!

7 hours ago, Sniper31 said:

Great little flight tour Lennart, and Always appreciate seeing the Harvard/Texan in flight. I really liked your tour, thanks for the pictures as well.

It´s a great crate, fast enough to get around, enough power to have fun but also heavy enough to make you conservate energy for aerobatics.

6 hours ago, lifejogger said:

Super flight and shots.  Thanks for the narrative it is nice to know what we are looking at.

Thank you for the kind comment. I like to see / read such tours as well, nice if people can show where they live and how it looks in FS.

Archived