New user-what do I need first?

ant1862

Hi, I have FSX-SE and I was going to first use REX but I heard ORBX is better, I just dont know where to start? Is there a main hub software that I need to purchase & download, or can I just browse what scenery add-on I want, like Alaska, buy it, install it, and thats it?  Thank for any help.

Yep, that's pretty much it.  Buy it, install it, use it.  But for airports, you need to own the region that the airport is inside (or FTX Global - See Prerequisite Products section on the airport product page) in order for that airport to work properly.

Glad to help.

Caleb

Get yourself and Orbxdirect account here:

https://orbxdirect.com/

and push the button that says "Get FTX Central"

That sets you up to purchase and install.  Presumably you've done that already, but just in case.

The FTX Global range is a bunch of products that affect the whole world (hence the 'global' bit).  FTX Global replaces the default worldwide textures, Vector gets rivers/roads/coastlines closer to right, rather than the generally jagged default representation, and LC improves the land class (how the texture tiles are placed).

If you're only going to fly in Southern Alaska (or any other region for that matter), you don't need any of that.  However obviously the region is a relatively small area.  You'll notice a stark boundary back to default once you get to the edge though.

REX does different things, so one isn't necessarily better than the other.  It's like saying a Maserati is better than an orange.  :)

Much thanks to you and Caleb1, that sounds awesome and I just looked at FTX Global, I'm going to get it, graphics look amazing. I've been using standard FSX graphics for too long.  This looks like it will take care of my graphic issues. Also I assume no harm done in getting the Global but also buying a add-on scenery like the Alaska, I guess people do that for certain areas they want. OK thanks again i'll check out all that you both mentioned. Happy New Year.

Hello Ant.

Welcome to the forums.  There are some exceptional people on here and they will help you no matter the question.  Never be afraid to ask.  It's the only way to learn.

There are some neat video's and helpful too on youtube under FSX-Orbx.

Good luck, I know, if you're not addicted now you are going to be. Oh, and read everything that's available about this insanely brilliant Orbx scenery.

JimNZ

Another thing to throw in there:  If I am not mistaken, Global is not quite the same as the regions.  If you have FTX Global and pick a spot in southern Alaska and take a screenshot, and then get the Southern Alaska region and take a screenshot in the same place, it will not look the same.  Otherwise there would be no point in making the regions.  One of the differences that jumps out at me is that regions have their own mesh, Global does not, and you need to get a separate mesh unless you want to use the default mesh for Global. 

Please correct me if I'm wrong.

Glad to help.

1 hour ago, caleb1 said:

Another thing to throw in there:  If I am not mistaken, Global is not quite the same as the regions.  If you have FTX Global and pick a spot in southern Alaska and take a screenshot, and then get the Southern Alaska region and take a screenshot in the same place, it will not look the same.  Otherwise there would be no point in making the regions.  One of the differences that jumps out at me is that regions have their own mesh, Global does not, and you need to get a separate mesh unless you want to use the default mesh for Global. 

Please correct me if I'm wrong.

Glad to help.

To further what caleb1 one said above regarding the difference from FTX Regions and FTX Global is that ALL of the airports in an Orbx FTX Region have been enhanced in some way. Not as much as an individual airport purchase, but enhanced more than the FSX/P3D default airports. Also, MANY scenery  points of interest are added to the Regions. There are additional benefits, but those are some of the main one's I can think of off the top of my head. Somewhere on the forums here there is good breakdown of all the types of Orbx scenery packages that covers all the differences. I am headed out the door right now so I don't have time to search and link it here. 

Above all, welcome to Orbx land!

Here are some Orbx basics.

First understand that Orbx has two different product lines.

1. "Terrain regions" (sometimes called "full regions", "full fat regions", or just "regions")

These regions, like the EU England, each cover a specific area, and are a complete package of improvements, containing replacements for each of the "layers" that makes up P3D scenery.  Regions also contain new 3D objects, occasionally photoreal points of interest, and update most of the default airports within the region.

Regions offer the highest level of scenery accuracy for a given area.

2. FTX Global Range.

Each product of the FTX Global range replaces one the default "layers" for the entire globe (or for a very large area in the case of the openLC areas).

FTX Global Base - replaces all of the default textures (This makes a big improvement to how P3D looks.)

FTX Global Vector - replaces all of the vector data (roads, rivers, shorelines, power lines, railroads) 

FTX Global openLC - replaces the Land Class for a very large area (North America, South America, Europe ...)

Mesh is the final layer of scenery.  Orbx offers some free mesh for various areas.  Payware (like PILOTS FS Global FTX edition) and freeware (like FreeMesh X) mesh products are available and will make a great improvement over the default mesh.  Especially outside the US.

* If you buy all of Orbx's Global products (and get a third party mesh), your scenery will look very good.  However it will still not be quite as accurate as a "region" since the region has more hand placement of land class and vector elements, plus the region has extra 3D objects, photo-real areas, and upgraded airports.

** Depending on the location, it may be difficult to notice the differences between a terrain region compared to FTX Global Base + Vector + openLC + mesh.  The textures, vector elements, and land class may look virtually identical.  However, 3D objects, photo-real areas, and upgraded airports make a more noticeable difference.

Here is a comparison chart of the FTX Global products vs the Regions.

Orbxproducts.jpg

Here is a link to the Orbx product guide which talks about the differences and has a couple screenshots.

http://www.orbxsystems.com/forum/applications/core/interface/file/attachment.php?id=34397

There is a great video on the FTX Global open LC Europe product page.  It shows the sim as each Global product "layer" is added. https://youtu.be/h9ynMExGq6E

Note that Orbx payware airports either require you to have a specific region or require you to have Global Base.  (The prerequisite products are listed on each airports product page.)

Hope all that helps!

Hi Ant! I also just wish to add my welcome to these great forums...the above guys have just exemplified why I use the adjective 'great'! Love it :) If only we could make the rest of the world work like this place...isn't Orbx land a Utopia?! ;) Get started in this Sale buddy, get stuck in and discover it all for yourself! It's what got me back into simming back in 2012-ish.

Hi Ant.  have a look at "Pacific Northwest Region " I always think that it is the best region to start with , there is lots of space and also lots of free airfields for you to fly to , obviously Alaska isn't as well populated .

Regards  

18 hours ago, Sniper31 said:

To further what caleb1 one said above regarding the difference from FTX Regions and FTX Global is that ALL of the airports in an Orbx FTX Region have been enhanced in some way. Not as much as an individual airport purchase, but enhanced more than the FSX/P3D default airports. Also, MANY scenery  points of interest are added to the Regions. There are additional benefits, but those are some of the main one's I can think of off the top of my head. Somewhere on the forums here there is good breakdown of all the types of Orbx scenery packages that covers all the differences. I am headed out the door right now so I don't have time to search and link it here. 

Above all, welcome to Orbx land!

11 hours ago, h3pilot said:

Here are some Orbx basics.

First understand that Orbx has two different product lines.

1. "Terrain regions" (sometimes called "full regions", "full fat regions", or just "regions")

These regions, like the EU England, each cover a specific area, and are a complete package of improvements, containing replacements for each of the "layers" that makes up P3D scenery.  Regions also contain new 3D objects, occasionally photoreal points of interest, and update most of the default airports within the region.

Regions offer the highest level of scenery accuracy for a given area.

2. FTX Global Range.

Each product of the FTX Global range replaces one the default "layers" for the entire globe (or for a very large area in the case of the openLC areas).

FTX Global Base - replaces all of the default textures (This makes a big improvement to how P3D looks.)

FTX Global Vector - replaces all of the vector data (roads, rivers, shorelines, power lines, railroads) 

FTX Global openLC - replaces the Land Class for a very large area (North America, South America, Europe ...)

Mesh is the final layer of scenery.  Orbx offers some free mesh for various areas.  Payware (like PILOTS FS Global FTX edition) and freeware (like FreeMesh X) mesh products are available and will make a great improvement over the default mesh.  Especially outside the US.

* If you buy all of Orbx's Global products (and get a third party mesh), your scenery will look very good.  However it will still not be quite as accurate as a "region" since the region has more hand placement of land class and vector elements, plus the region has extra 3D objects, photo-real areas, and upgraded airports.

** Depending on the location, it may be difficult to notice the differences between a terrain region compared to FTX Global Base + Vector + openLC + mesh.  The textures, vector elements, and land class may look virtually identical.  However, 3D objects, photo-real areas, and upgraded airports make a more noticeable difference.

Here is a comparison chart of the FTX Global products vs the Regions.

Orbxproducts.jpg

Here is a link to the Orbx product guide which talks about the differences and has a couple screenshots.

http://www.orbxsystems.com/forum/applications/core/interface/file/attachment.php?id=34397

There is a great video on the FTX Global open LC Europe product page.  It shows the sim as each Global product "layer" is added. https://youtu.be/h9ynMExGq6E

Note that Orbx payware airports either require you to have a specific region or require you to have Global Base.  (The prerequisite products are listed on each airports product page.)

Hope all that helps!

Very good explanation everyone.

15 minutes ago, Gollum said:

Hi Ant.  have a look at "Pacific Northwest Region " I always think that it is the best region to start with , there is lots of space and also lots of free airfields for you to fly to , obviously Alaska isn't as well populated .

Regards  

I agree.  The PNW Region, and WA56 and 3W5 airports were my first Orbx products and I like them a lot.  I would highly recommend it for a first product.  PNW also has the most Orbx payware airports inside it so it's good because it allows you to buy many airports without buying more regions.  Most other regions have about 2-6 payware Orbx airports.  PNW has 23.

Hi Ant,

All great advice above,
Welcome to the forums, a very nice choice for your first Orbx region FTX SouthernAlaska (SAK), if it hasn't' been mentioned yet, once you have your "Get FTX Central" installed and your account setup and have installed your newly purchased Orbx Region & FTX GlobalBase, you will also find that FTXCentral has an update or requirement to install the most recent Orbx Libraries, these are essential for all Orbx scenery software OrbxLibs are free to download once you have your OrbxDirect account setup.

If you get into difficulties just post in the payware support forum, tell us a little about your setup and hardware and provide the essential Transaction ID PP and staff will walk you through, although its all fairly straight forward you shouldn't have any difficulties. As with all software these days some pre-requisite prelims are required before beginning the installation process, just be sure your sim is setup and functioning properly, you have your operating system .NET updates current to at least 4.5.2, 4.6 and 4.7 even better still. Be sure also that MS Visual Studio is up-to date and your sim autogen slider is not set to ExtremeDense unless you have a strong processor which has been over clocked above 4.2Ghz and a reasonably good performance graphics card. Set your mesh resolution to 5m, Texture Res to 7cm and or consult the Southern Alaska User Guide.pdf for recommended setup for sliders and checkboxes, which is installed by your SAK region (Accessable in FTXCentral) via adobe pdf reader.

Switch off PreviewDX10 if you are not using the DX10 fixer, otherwise you will see black boxes lining the roads during the day, although not so much in the SAK region where roads are few and far between.

All the best with FTX SAK SouthernAlaska, I think you will enjoy what SAK has to offer. FTXGlobal base is also a great place to start if you wish to experience rich & vastly better textures than the default offerings which come with the base sim.

On 12/29/2017 at 4:40 PM, JimNZ said:

Hello Ant.

Welcome to the forums.  There are some exceptional people on here and they will help you no matter the question.  Never be afraid to ask.  It's the only way to learn.

There are some neat video's and helpful too on youtube under FSX-Orbx.

Good luck, I know, if you're not addicted now you are going to be. Oh, and read everything that's available about this insanely brilliant Orbx scenery.

JimNZ

Yes, im realizing that now, there are great people here indeed, thank you much for the words.

On 1/1/2018 at 10:41 AM, Jeff Gilmour said:

Hi Ant,

All great advice above,
Welcome to the forums, a very nice choice for your first Orbx region FTX SouthernAlaska (SAK), if it hasn't' been mentioned yet, once you have your "Get FTX Central" installed and your account setup and have installed your newly purchased Orbx Region & FTX GlobalBase, you will also find that FTXCentral has an update or requirement to install the most recent Orbx Libraries, these are essential for all Orbx scenery software OrbxLibs are free to download once you have your OrbxDirect account setup.

If you get into difficulties just post in the payware support forum, tell us a little about your setup and hardware and provide the essential Transaction ID PP and staff will walk you through, although its all fairly straight forward you shouldn't have any difficulties. As with all software these days some pre-requisite prelims are required before beginning the installation process, just be sure your sim is setup and functioning properly, you have your operating system .NET updates current to at least 4.5.2, 4.6 and 4.7 even better still. Be sure also that MS Visual Studio is up-to date and your sim autogen slider is not set to ExtremeDense unless you have a strong processor which has been over clocked above 4.2Ghz and a reasonably good performance graphics card. Set your mesh resolution to 5m, Texture Res to 7cm and or consult the Southern Alaska User Guide.pdf for recommended setup for sliders and checkboxes, which is installed by your SAK region (Accessable in FTXCentral) via adobe pdf reader.

Switch off PreviewDX10 if you are not using the DX10 fixer, otherwise you will see black boxes lining the roads during the day, although not so much in the SAK region where roads are few and far between.

All the best with FTX SAK SouthernAlaska, I think you will enjoy what SAK has to offer. FTXGlobal base is also a great place to start if you wish to experience rich & vastly better textures than the default offerings which come with the base sim.

Hey Jeff, thanks for all the info, so far I got FTX Global which has turned out to be amazing, I am very happy with it, it has changed everything for the better. Only thing I'm curious about is if it would be worth it still to purchase another scenery add-on like the Alaska region, because doesnt the Global already cover that? Anyway, thanks again.

On 12/30/2017 at 1:24 PM, caleb1 said:

Very good explanation everyone.

I agree.  The PNW Region, and WA56 and 3W5 airports were my first Orbx products and I like them a lot.  I would highly recommend it for a first product.  PNW also has the most Orbx payware airports inside it so it's good because it allows you to buy many airports without buying more regions.  Most other regions have about 2-6 payware Orbx airports.  PNW has 23.

h3pilot, thanks very much, you just answered my question that I just asked another member just little while ago,  so thanks much.

On 12/30/2017 at 1:02 PM, Gollum said:

Regards  

Thanks Gollum, yea, looks like someone just explained some technical info on why adding an add-on region will still further enhance that region, which is cool, the more better graphics, the better lol.

On 12/30/2017 at 12:30 PM, Triplane said:

Welcome to the forum(s). As the guys above have said, whatever you decide to buy get it while the sale is still going on. There won't be another opportunity to save this much money for many months..........Doug

Thanks Doug, but to be honest i'll pay almost anything to get my setup running top notch. Its bad, I crave sim enhancement like an addict does drugs.

On 12/30/2017 at 4:04 AM, tuisong said:

Hi ant1862, I have just popped in to add my welcome to the forums. And wish you many happy hours flying in the Orbx world. :)

Thanks much tuisong, those hours have already begun lol, I'm glad I found this place!

On 12/30/2017 at 11:58 AM, Sid said:

Hi Ant! I also just wish to add my welcome to these great forums...the above guys have just exemplified why I use the adjective 'great'! Love it :) If only we could make the rest of the world work like this place...isn't Orbx land a Utopia?! ;) Get started in this Sale buddy, get stuck in and discover it all for yourself! It's what got me back into simming back in 2012-ish.

Thanks Sid, and yes, this place is awesome, I only have the FTX Global right now and its a whole other world already, luv it.

56 minutes ago, ant1862 said:

Hey Jeff, thanks for all the info, so far I got FTX Global which has turned out to be amazing, I am very happy with it, it has changed everything for the better. Only thing I'm curious about is if it would be worth it still to purchase another scenery add-on like the Alaska region, because doesnt the Global already cover that? Anyway, thanks again.

Yes, FTX Global does cover the Alaska area, but if you want scenery that is better than FTX Global in the Alaska area, you should get Southern Alaska.  Also, if you want to buy any of the Orbx airports that are inside the Alaska region, you will need Southern Alaska for them to work properly.

Glad to help.

Caleb.

2 minutes ago, caleb1 said:

Yes, FTX Global does cover the Alaska area, but if you want scenery that is better than FTX Global in the Alaska area, you should get Southern Alaska.  Also, if you want to buy any of the Orbx airports that are inside the Alaska region, you will need Southern Alaska for them to work properly.

Glad to help.

Caleb.

Awesome advice caleb1, thank you much!

HI Ant,

1 hour ago, ant1862 said:

I'm glad you have started with FTXGlobalBase, and have already seen the immediate & rich transformative effect it has on the base simulator.

Well yes Global Base textures do transform the generic blandness of the default sim textures into the lush enhanced ground and autogen textured environment of Global Base. But that is the extent of the GlobalBase product, it also helps to blend the boundaries of a Full Region such as SAK or any other FTX Region.

To further enhance the Global product range experience, you can go further with FTX Vector, and then follow it up with FTX Open LC range of products and a good mesh product such as FreeMeshX (Freeware) or FTX FSGlobal 2010 from Pilots (Payware). So far there are FTX OLC Products for OpenLC_NA (North America 1 & 2 OLC_NA CAN/AK) covers (North America into Canada and all of Alaska as a LC product but not to the same detail of a Full region with custom features), OpenLC_South America, OpenLC_Europe, (there will be 7 LC products covering the globe afaik.... Installing these packages will totally transform your FS world into something significantly more believable than FSX default or GlobalBase alone. Believable terrain and vastly more accurate than default, but still does not trump a Full Region for custom features and terrain accuracy.

The best reason for installing a Full region such as your intended SAK, is that Full Regions have custom features, custom Vectoring of roads rail rivers lakes and shorelines, custom textures custom modelling, custom terrain with textures to match, in the case of SAK (glacial ice flows) often Orbx enhanced airports are included that will replace default ones from the FSX base sim. (Not Payware but vastly better than default).

I also highly recommend PNW Full Region for all the reasons h3pilot (Matt) gave above, but trust me over time you will find your flights heading further north and south and want to complete the entire West Coast of North America with FTX Full Regions.

So what should you do, or what would I do if I wanted to populate my sim with believable HD terrain LC scenery. I guess I would buy a region to see what Full Regions can offer over default, and at least with your FTX Global Base you will not have abrupt transitions at the boundary of your SAK full region.. If later on you find your self wanting more of the Region type enhancement then buy adjoining Regions.
If you want the instant wham factor then go all out with FTX Global Base Vector OLC & Mesh and fly only in within the Global areas with LC Vector data providing the Orbx reality, but not nearly to the same customised level as a Full Region.

In my own FSX sim I use a mix of Full Regions (because these were the enhanced product range available when my Orbx journey began) and then when FTX GlobalBase arrived I use that to give me believable transitions where I have no Full FTX region Products. There are many places in the world that I have not been in real life so I am not looking for Vector & OLC level accuracy in those parts of the world where I only require a believable default terrain or city, (albeit with GlobalBase Texture & autogen), not areas with the accuracy of actually having lived or visited the area personally. My home is Australia one of the first Full Regions, so of coarse I purchased FTX_AU because local content and a believable Aussie terrain is important as an Aussie resident. Later PNW and so on with the whole West Coast Region except for SOCAL.

I recommend that now you have your GlobalBase installed and Southern Alaska, to fly around SAK to see the enhancements and what Region's deliver as far as realism, then fly to the limits of the SAK region (you can use the GoogleEarth  SAK.kmz in \Orbx\Documents), to see the Global Base blending, then take a flight in Europe, (such as Italy the alps England, North America, where you currently only have GlobalBase to see the general effect of GlobalBase textures & Autogen. (try it at night also to see the lighting seasons will also be a good indicator). By that time you will know if you wish to go for the Global product Range completely, or  Global Range & Regions  or Regions  & Global Base only.  I also highly recommend the freeware "Iceland Demo" - ( FTXGlobal Base ON version) it will show you all FTX Global range capabilities all on the same landmass, ( a virtual one stop shop for trying out the full Global range)

I'll let you chew over my lengthy post, I hope I've covered everything and got all the details right ( I have been up all night/morning on other matters, so took the opportunity to clear my mind with all these words, hope it all makes sense, I'm off to bed now.

1 hour ago, ant1862 said:

Thanks Doug, but to be honest i'll pay almost anything to get my setup running top notch. Its bad, I crave sim enhancement like an addict does drugs.

Well, one thing's for sure.....ORBX is, indeed, truly addictive. All I wanted to do was fly around Northern California.....now I own everything they've made. Keep your credit card handy  :)....................Doug

Hi Ant 1862.  Before you head off and buy everything mentioned , have a think about what you want to do . Is it low and slow or high and fast . Low and slow lends its self to full regions and detailed airfields , with high and fast its not so important . What is your PC system capable of doing ? Also how much time will you have to spend flying . I don't have time for long flights so my air fields are relatively close together . In PNW 1S2 Darrington  and KORS  Orcas Island  are two of my favourites  and there are lots of small airfields in between . 

if you were to put your computer specifications `here` there are people much more experienced than me who will advise you .  

Regards , 

Welcome to the forum Ant!  Some very excellent advice above.  Please, when you buy a region or airport, post some screenshots.  And to make it even more fun, enter one in the monthly screenshot contest, if you win you get a free Orbx!  How cool is that?

1 minute ago, Jack Sawyer said:

Welcome to the forum Ant!  Some very excellent advice above.  Please, when you buy a region or airport, post some screenshots.  And to make it even more fun, enter one in the monthly screenshot contest, if you win you get a free Orbx!  How cool is that?

+1  - New user what do I need next : LOC from your bank and or lots of spending capacity on your CC's . :rolleyes:;):o:D

John

1 minute ago, caleb1 said:

Sure is pretty cool.  Have you ever won one Jack?  Just curious.

No sir Caleb.  I don't think my shots are good enough to win, but I love being able to vote and help others win.  Besides, what would I choose?   I have them all.  I just really think it's a lot of good fun and Orbx is pretty darned cool to do this on a monthly basis.  It's always nice to see someone win and I'm always happy for them.

2 minutes ago, Jack Sawyer said:

No sir Caleb.  I don't think my shots are good enough to win, but I love being able to vote and help others win.  Besides, what would I choose?   I have them all.  I just really think it's a lot of good fun and Orbx is pretty darned cool to do this on a monthly basis.  It's always nice to see someone win and I'm always happy for them.

Yes.  It is challenging to win.  It is very cool for Orbx to do that.  Good luck!

Just now, caleb1 said:

Yes.  It is challenging to win.  It is very cool for Orbx to do that.  Good luck!

Good luck to you Caleb!  One thing I love about it is it really brings out creativity in people, you see some very amazing, perfectly framed shots.

Archived