Thaied up in a Commando performance.

VH-KDK

Finally got the C-46 in the JF sale today.

So we are going to fly from New Plymouth to Wellington once the passengers have been sorted out.

1.cn1.jpg

The passengers aren't happy about having to sit on packing cases.

2.cn2.jpg

Once they were told the cases were more comfortable than MD-11 seats they relented and climbed aboard.

3.cn3.jpg

So happy to see a Thai registered C-46 which will be just right for when OLC Asia comes out.

4.cn4.jpg

Mount Egmont again.

5.cn5.jpg

The Waitotara River

6.cn6.jpg

Whanganui with Castlecliff on the left. The Whananui River is NZ's longest navigable river.

7.cn7.jpg

L to R Whangaehu River, Turakina River and Koitiata.

8.cn8.jpg

The town of Himatangi Beach is below us but you can see the Rangitikei River and Tangimoana

9.cn9.jpg

The Manawatu River and Foxton on the left..

10.cn10.jpg

Foxton Beach.

11.cn11.jpg

Waikanae, Kapiti Island with the South Island on the horizon with the Cook Strait in between.

12.cn12.jpg

Coming into Wellington, I think.

13.cn13.jpg

Ah yes, the sign says we are at Welington.

14.cn14.jpg

Beautiful plane fitted out with a modern cockpit and a great sound set, very happy.

Hope you enjoyed this flight.

9 minutes ago, paulb said:

Super set of shots and narrative Martyn! :) You even have a perfect livery for your Commando!

Thanks Paul, very unexpected to have this obscure Thai plane.:P

Well this is a surprise, it still exists at Chonburi east of Bangkok.

Never seen one in RL may be worth a detour next time I go to the beach near here.

1575233-large.jpg

9 minutes ago, BradB said:

Stupendous caps Martyn , brings new meaning to the phrase - Going Commando . :):rolleyes:>:D:D

Cheers

John

Thanks John and I must admit I had to google that term as I had neve heard of it before.:o

I do learn many new things on here!:lol:

4 hours ago, VH-KDK said:

Thanks John and I must admit I had to google that term as I had neve heard of it before.:o

I do learn many new things on here!:lol:

Yep , I figured I had stumped you on that one . Us American's have our sayings , just like you folks have yours . :):)

John

7 hours ago, VH-KDK said:

Once they were told the cases were more comfortable than MD-11 seats they relented and climbed aboard.

:lol:

Another great your and narrative Martyn, how do you find the time to do this?  It must be very labor intensive.

And here in Georgia at that air museum I went to recently they have a fully restored one, it's beautiful.

Martyn

I had my JF purchases sorted & ready to get, then you run the C-46 pics, & it isn't on my list!

Frankly I think its a rather 'ugly" aircraft, I prefer the sleeker DC-3.:)

However, your enthusiasm is swaying me.

Is its Flight envelope sufficiently different to a DC-3 to warrant purchase?

Cheers

TTM

PS - Will be getting Orbx Whangerei & JF Fokker Friendship - allows emulation of a flight I took 40 odd years ago from Auckland to Whangerei.

4 hours ago, Jack Sawyer said:

:lol:

Another great your and narrative Martyn, how do you find the time to do this?  It must be very labor intensive.

And here in Georgia at that air museum I went to recently they have a fully restored one, it's beautiful.

Thank you Jack. It does take a while to do but this one being along the coast meant that the features were much easier to find than when I am flying in land.

Would be nice to see a C-46 in RL.:P

3 hours ago, TigerTigerM said:

Martyn

I had my JF purchases sorted & ready to get, then you run the C-46 pics, & it isn't on my list!

Frankly I think its a rather 'ugly" aircraft, I prefer the sleeker DC-3.:)

However, your enthusiasm is swaying me.

Is its Flight envelope sufficiently different to a DC-3 to warrant purchase?

Cheers

TTM

PS - Will be getting Orbx Whangerei & JF Fokker Friendship - allows emulation of a flight I took 40 odd years ago from Auckland to Whangerei.

Thanks TTM, I like the futuristic shape of the C-46, an exceedingly useful plane with its unfortunate faults.

The actual flying characteristics of a plane do not concern me as I am in it mostly for the scenery and to see the actual plane flying. Ctrl+E for me to give you an idea of my flying experiences. All I can say is that it appears to handle in a realistic manner.

I do know that you will enjoy Whangerei and I shall look forwards to seeing some views of your F-27 flight.

2 hours ago, Stillwater said:

Another brilliant narration around this well-documented tour, thanks, Martyn.

:D!

Thanks Gerold, glad you enjoyed it.:)

I am thinking of getting an old MD-11 seat for when I watch television. It will stop me falling off to sleep.:lol:

3 hours ago, VH-KDK said:

Thank you Jack. It does take a while to do but this one being along the coast meant that the features were much easier to find than when I am flying in land.

Would be nice to see a C-46 in RL.:P

It was very cool, and huge and the widest plane I've ever seen.  Amazing, and all chrome too.  I'm hoping to go back for some more photos, this time with a tripod.

On ‎25‎/‎11‎/‎2017 at 9:57 AM, Jack Sawyer said:

It was very cool, and huge and the widest plane I've ever seen.  Amazing, and all chrome too.  I'm hoping to go back for some more photos, this time with a tripod.

Thank you Jack, it could carry twice the volume and three times the weight than the C-47 which could explain why it is so big.:D

Archived