Out of Invercargill

VH-KDK

Great shots and great memories for me rekindled. Flew out of there a few times when i was on an assignment to Invercargill in the late 90's.

Initial flight out from Heathrow was at 11pm on a Sunday. Flew Quantas (upgraded from biz class to 1st class!) to Singapore. Waited 4 hours for a connection to Christchurch. Waited 3 hours for a connection to Dunedin. Waited 4 hours for a connection to Invercargill. Arrived Invercargill 5pm local time on Tuesday!!!!!!!Flying back home on R&R was just ss long. Invercargill to Dunedin, Dunedin to Christchurch, Christchurch to Wellington, Wellington to Auckland, Auckland to Hong Kong, Hong Kong to Heathrow. At Heathrow my driver had to fill up with petrol and asked if I wanted the take the Airmiles on offer at the filling station! I told him where he could stickem:lol:

I sincerely hope for all travellers that the internal flights situation has improved a bit since those days. It took me as long to get from Invercargill to Auckland as it did from Auckland to Hong Kong.

45 minutes ago, jjaycee1 said:

Great shots and great memories for me rekindled. Flew out of there a few times when i was on an assignment to Invercargill in the late 90's.

Initial flight out from Heathrow was at 11pm on a Sunday. Flew Quantas (upgraded from biz class to 1st class!) to Singapore. Waited 4 hours for a connection to Christchurch. Waited 3 hours for a connection to Dunedin. Waited 4 hours for a connection to Invercargill. Arrived Invercargill 5pm local time on Tuesday!!!!!!!Flying back home on R&R was just ss long. Invercargill to Dunedin, Dunedin to Christchurch, Christchurch to Wellington, Wellington to Auckland, Auckland to Hong Kong, Hong Kong to Heathrow. At Heathrow my driver had to fill up with petrol and asked if I wanted the take the Airmiles on offer at the filling station! I told him where he could stickem:lol:

I sincerely hope for all travellers that the internal flights situation has improved a bit since those days. It took me as long to get from Invercargill to Auckland as it did from Auckland to Hong Kong.

Thanks and what an amazing story. Now who was it said the world is a small place!:lol:

7 hours ago, Jack Sawyer said:

Nice shots Martyn, I love dawn/dusk shots and these are terrific.  I wonder what draws you to that airport all the time?  I'll have to take a look when I get to New Zealand after I finish Oz.

Thanks Jack, glad you liked them. Cape Blanco in PNW and Birchwood in SAK are another pair of favourites that I will visit quite often when testing out a new plane!

Yes nice shots.  May have looked even better in the RNZAF colours.  They had some DC6's way back which flew around NZ, and most likely to Invercargill.  There's a very good repaint by David Blitch over at the Avsim library.      pmdg_dc-6_rnzaf_1961_nz3631.zip

Bruce R 

10 hours ago, Bruce R said:

Yes nice shots.  May have looked even better in the RNZAF colours.  They had some DC6's way back which flew around NZ, and most likely to Invercargill.  There's a very good repaint by David Blitch over at the Avsim library.      pmdg_dc-6_rnzaf_1961_nz3631.zip

Bruce R 

Cheers Bruce but the RNZAF won't fit as this is the FR DC-4.:(

7 hours ago, Stillwater said:

And I thought you were in rainy Scotland. Martyn is difficult to predict... - you can be anywhere on the globe my friend!

Lovely shots.

The strange thing was Gerold, so did I.

I must stop trying to build my GPS.

That is the beauty of the FS world, one minute you are flying in Alaska and the next you are in the land of Apphang.:huh::wacko::lol:

4 hours ago, Bruce R said:

Funny enough - as soon as I submitted that reply I looked at the shots again and thought "that's not the PMDG DC6".

Cheers

Bruce R

No worries Bruce. I was very excited that there was an RNZAF scheme until I looked closer.:lol:

Archived