Finally Moving From FSX To P3dV4.. Worried

shane2801

Hi everyone

I've been an Orbx tragic for years now and have had all versions of Flight Simulator 95 to present. I've finally decided to bite the bullet and make the move over to P3dV4. I must admit it feels very daunting as I have spent hundreds of $$$ with Orbx and numerous other add-ons. All of the Orbx stuff I am not concerned with as it is all compliant. 

I understand some of my addons I have will not work with P3d. That's ok.

I do have a couple of questions I hope someone can answer? What version of P3d do most people buy? The $60 one or the $200??

Finally I have Orbx Global Base, Open LC Europe, LC Nth America,  & Vector. Plus all other regions offered by Orbx. My question is, at present I have FS Global 2010. When I update to P3d I will have to purchase the new FS Global 2018. Do you think this is necessary?

Thanks for reading guys any advise would be greatly appreciated.

I can tell you that FS Global 2010 will work just fine with P3D V4.1 (it's what I have been using without issue). As for answering your question about P3D purchase, that cannot be discussed here on these forums and you are best researching that elsewhere. It's nothing personal, its just the way it is. 

All that said, once you make the transition and get everything setup the way you like, I think you will be happy with P3D V4 :)

Hi Shane,

As Sniper said, you will have to decided for yourself which version of P3D to purchase. Almost all FS forums will not tolerate any discussions about which version to purchase. The best that you can do is read the EULA and make your own mind up. 

On a positive note, I suspect that you will enjoy P3Dv4. I too have been F Simming for many years and only acquired P3Dv4 a few months ago. It took me about a week to get to grips with it, but since then I haven't looked back!

If you have the disk space then I suggest that you keep FSX as well as P3D. In the short term it will make it much easier for you to install your Orbx scenery into P3D. The installer (Central) will move many files across from FSX to P3D, which will save you a huge amount of downloading time. In the longer term it will provide you access to any aircraft that you enjoy flying but which cannot be ported over to P3Dv4.

Cheers

Paul

• 1 month later...
On 11/18/2017 at 7:32 PM, Sniper31 said:

I can tell you that FS Global 2010 will work just fine with P3D V4.1 (it's what I have been using without issue). As for answering your question about P3D purchase, that cannot be discussed here on these forums and you are best researching that elsewhere. It's nothing personal, its just the way it is. 

All that said, once you make the transition and get everything setup the way you like, I think you will be happy with P3D V4 :)

I  have the FS Global 2010 disk set myself. Any special procedure to install to P3D v4.1 other then a normal install?

41 minutes ago, Mach 2 said:

I  have the FS Global 2010 disk set myself. Any special procedure to install to P3D v4.1 other then a normal install?

I did not even make a new install, just added the "scenery" of Pilots manually into the library of p3d.

On 11/20/2017 at 2:53 AM, shane2801 said:

Hi guys

I will be doing that. I will purchase a 2T SSD for P3d.

Shane, I have all of my P3d v4, addon aircraft,  ActiveSky, Rex, plus all of Orbx except Europe running off of a 500 GB drive isolated from drive C.  It works well for me and loads fast.

Right now it contains 371 GB of files with over 100 GB of free space.  I keep it isolated because I know that sooner or later I will have to format drive C, again, and I do not want to have to rebuild my flight sim, again

If you have a free E slot buy an EVO SSD they are much faster than SATA SSD's.

At present, a 1TB drive is less than 400 dollars while a 500 GB can be had for around 150 dollars.

If I was starting fresh and could afford it I would install the 1 TB drive and know that I had the future covered.

Save your money and put it towards all of the new goodies JV is bringing us during the coming year.

Dale

I could be wrong--I have been before.  But if you format drive C again, you'll end up with a brand new registry, which won't have any idea you have a flight sim and its stuff installed on another SSD in your system.  You'll end up re-installing your flight sim again.

1 hour ago, Stewart Hobson said:

I could be wrong--I have been before.  But if you format drive C again, you'll end up with a brand new registry, which won't have any idea you have a flight sim and its stuff installed on another SSD in your system.  You'll end up re-installing your flight sim again.

Except if you use the registry fix tool...

• 1 year later...

Hello everybody, I am new to the Forum and a bit new to prepare 3D. I have a bit of a problem trying to connect my instructor station to the flight. I know that the ports  have to be the same number. But I'm having a hard time locating where the ports exist. In FSX it's in the modules folder.  Can anybody tell me where I can locate where the ports are so I can configure the numbers to be the same In prepare 3D and my instructor station. Thank you in advance

5 hours ago, iamandrebarton said:

Hello everybody, I am new to the Forum and a bit new to prepare 3D. I have a bit of a problem trying to connect my instructor station to the flight. I know that the ports  have to be the same number. But I'm having a hard time locating where the ports exist. In FSX it's in the modules folder.  Can anybody tell me where I can locate where the ports are so I can configure the numbers to be the same In prepare 3D and my instructor station. Thank you in advance

Why not ask over at the LM forums?  You'll get a quicker answer over there.

Archived