Some Carvair facts

VH-KDK

This flight is from Southend to Bournemouth in the Carvair.

1.rh1.jpg

21 DC-4s were converted to Carvairs in the early 1960s.

2.rh2.jpg

The forward section was replaced and a new tail fin constructed, not a DC-7 one as commonly believed.

Southend-on sea with the worlds longest pier just visible.

3.rh3.jpg

They were built by Freddie Laker's (remember him!) Aviation Traders Limited company hence the Carvairs designation of ATL-98.

The oil terminals at Canvey Island and Coryton.

4.rh4.jpg

They were designed to replace the rapidly ageing and inadequate Bristol 170s.

Tilbury Container Port very close to Damon's Hall.

5.rh5.jpg

The ATL-98 could carry 25 passengers and 5 medium sized cars low across the Channel meaning that no pressurisation was necessary.

Biggin Hill through the low cloud.

6.rh6.jpg

50,000 GBP to acquire a second hand DC-4 and 80K for the conversion made the Carvair a cheap option.

Gatwick.

7.rh7.jpg

The new nose made the ATL-98 8ft 8ins longer than the original DC-4

Now getting into Top Gear passing Dunsfold.

8.rh8.jpg

3 were converted at Southend with the other 18 at Stanstead.

Over Gosport with Portsmouth beyond.

9.rh9.jpg

The original P&W R-2000s were retained.

Flying up the Beaulieu River.

10.rh10.jpg

The last 3 for Ansett were the airlines own aircraft but the other 18 were bought by ATL for conversion

The Solent in the distance with Southampton Airport to the left of the plane.

11.rh11.jpg
Of the 21 conversions 8 were destroyed in accidents, the most recent in 2007 in Alaska.

Approaching Bournemouth.

12.rh12.jpg

One exists in South Africa with the owner hoping to make it airworthy with another reportedly still flying in the USA.

Hope you enjoyed some facts about the Carvair.

Lovely stuff Martyn. I'm so glad you posted your shots of this beast the other day - it's sitting in my hangar now! I have only slight memories of the car transporters at Southend (my home town from the age of 5 to 20 - so all the important years!), can't say which actual aircraft I remember for real and what is just coming from later readings but things like this, the AW Argosy and the Bristol freighters all spring to mind. Because of that 'hump', they all have that lovely "who are you looking at, pal?" air about them. I have the UK2000 version of Southend Airport (it's excellent, if I'm allowed to say that here) and I'd love someone to do a full fat model of the Southend, or even all Essex, region (preferably set in 1966) but I'm not holding my breath! The whole "fish & chips, amusements and pier" thing would look stunning if Jarrad turned his hand to it. Probably only be me that bought it though!

5 hours ago, andy1252 said:

Lovely stuff Martyn. I'm so glad you posted your shots of this beast the other day - it's sitting in my hangar now! I have only slight memories of the car transporters at Southend (my home town from the age of 5 to 20 - so all the important years!), can't say which actual aircraft I remember for real and what is just coming from later readings but things like this, the AW Argosy and the Bristol freighters all spring to mind. Because of that 'hump', they all have that lovely "who are you looking at, pal?" air about them. I have the UK2000 version of Southend Airport (it's excellent, if I'm allowed to say that here) and I'd love someone to do a full fat model of the Southend, or even all Essex, region (preferably set in 1966) but I'm not holding my breath! The whole "fish & chips, amusements and pier" thing would look stunning if Jarrad turned his hand to it. Probably only be me that bought it though!

Cheers Andy, once again memories come flooding back from a long time ago. I never went to Southend and only visited Essex once just for a couple of hours.

I am happy you got it though and hopefully you will post some images of your flights.:)

Just a bit dark on the separate versions for V4 and FSX though:angry:. Oh well I couldn't resist it!

How I would like a plaice and chips sitting on the pier right now, dream on!

1 hour ago, Stillwater said:

A breathtaking mixture of aviation and navigation information, you are a brilliant lecturere, my friend.

Plus, your screenshots are not that bad either... B).

Many thanks Gerold. I do try my best.:D

2 minutes ago, Neptune6 said:

Yep

i see for the fist time this planeDC4 converted ATL98 cargo in 1971 to Ajaccio LFKJ coming from Zurich  with a RR silver shadows  in the nose ..

Great shoot

Patrick

Cheers Patrick, such a distinctive plane it is so easy to remember our first sight of it.:D

9 hours ago, andy1252 said:

Generally considered by most people as the correct course of action <grin>

Cheers Andy, sound like a lot of places in England now, very sad.:huh:

I cannot how Bournemouth has gone downhill judging by what I read in their local rag.:(

Archived