MacRobertson Air Race - leg 1

Jack Sawyer

Decided to start the MacRobertson Air Race which is from London to Melbourne.

Started at Heathrow and landed at Marseilles, 615+ miles.

It was almost all clouds the entire way.  But it took my mind off things.

All Orbx, and every last think that could be maxed out in the sim was maxed out.  FPS a little low and some stutters but manageable.

Pa0HaZX.jpg

I miss the Concord

DqmlfJk.jpg

kE7CgM4.jpg

sS2Gs6w.jpg

Sorry pal, I got a race to run!

Ze3CY5U.jpg

See ya!

5YcCOrJ.jpg

sqM2FNb.jpg

Love the BA liveries

zHeFH04.jpg

CabiMLc.jpg

4kH1nc1.jpg

cvGVFqF.jpg

BGEQI8T.jpg

IqTdiw1.jpg

QPBpvK6.jpg

All clouds 

Av2eAJ0.jpg

lk0nwdg.jpg

X4FSXJr.jpg

oGuz3ZO.jpg

I5ji8nG.jpg

Started getting dark so at some point I changed the time

2BkYfBw.jpg

UYw6Rch.jpg

UcIuVFI.jpg

8GK2OXl.jpg

PYtlGh1.jpg

XaPMgCa.jpg

bKrOqYJ.jpg

Could the white on the ground be snow?

5Wy77pf.jpg

QjDGvV1.jpg

6S4rcd5.jpg

Never flew into Marseilles, it was quite nice.

dvXF118.jpg

l2FrCWn.jpg

8nkvBNO.jpg

HWEUUup.jpg

KiWQD2V.jpg

Thanks for flying along, sorry for so many, it was a very long flight.

2 minutes ago, paulb said:

That is first class Jack! :)

What a great idea to emulate the Air Race. I think that the DH.88 Comet won it in 71 hours flying time. Amazing really!

I like your Cloudmaster, looks very good ;).

Thanks Paul.  You're right, it was amazing for its time.

Next leg, Marseilles to Rome.  

15 minutes ago, Jack Sawyer said:

Thanks Paul.  You're right, it was amazing for its time.

Next leg, Marseilles to Rome.  

I just looked it up. Apparently, there were five compulsory stops at Baghdad, Allahabad, Singapore, Darwin and Charleville, Queensland; otherwise the competitors could choose their own routes. Gosh, imagine doing that in those days! :wacko:

8 minutes ago, paulb said:

I just looked it up. Apparently, there were five compulsory stops at Baghdad, Allahabad, Singapore, Darwin and Charleville, Queensland; otherwise the competitors could choose their own routes. Gosh, imagine doing that in those days! :wacko:

A friend from London sent me some of the real maps so I’m flying the handicapped race.  Lots of pit stops.  It was brilliant.

4 minutes ago, jmbiii said:

You need a bit more yellow on your aircraft, Jack.  Almost didn't recognize you.

:D

Thanks JM but try as i might I couldn’t find a yellow livery. :(

1 minute ago, bernd1151 said:

What a superb idea. I look forward to your next legs, buddy.

Thanks Bernd!  I can’t take credit, my friend in the UK has been wanting to do this for a long time so he encouraged me.  Will be fun in this cool old bird 

4 hours ago, Stillwater said:

Indeed this looks like a nice challenge, Jack. And as you can run Heathrow with all sliders maxed, most other places should be fine for you...!

4 hours ago, Stillwater said:

Olc Asia is a key component you will miss (and we will, when watching your screenshots).

Thanks Gerold, yes, I was completely amazed at Heathrow with everything totally maxed out, and with my PC being so old it amazed me.  This with UTL traffic and AS4 weather to boot!  

And yes, I would love to see OLC Asia, day one buy to be sure!

52 minutes ago, Sniper31 said:

Great start to what should be an epic flight sim journey Jack, have fun and will look forward to more reports of your 'race' experiences. :) 

Thanks Landon!  Yes, with so many legs I look forward to it.  And since I have't spent much time in it I'm having to hit the books.

Great idea Jack and a magnificent set to start off with.

Just an amazing feat to get to Melbourne in less three days all those years ago.

When you look at some of the planes that competed and finished the race, a fantastic achievement.

Don't forget either to make an emergency stop at Albury, tell us what night you are due and I will get my car up there with the lights turned on!:rolleyes:

38 minutes ago, VH-KDK said:

Great idea Jack and a magnificent set to start off with.

Just an amazing feat to get to Melbourne in less three days all those years ago.

When you look at some of the planes that competed and finished the race, a fantastic achievement.

Don't forget either to make an emergency stop at Albury, tell us what night you are due and I will get my car up there with the lights turned on!:rolleyes:

Thanks Martyn.  It was amazing, especially considering aircraft weren't as reliable, they had supply issues, lack of good communication.  I'm always amazed at what they did back then, and in three days!

Where is Albury?  In Australia?

1 hour ago, Jack Sawyer said:

Thanks Martyn.  It was amazing, especially considering aircraft weren't as reliable, they had supply issues, lack of good communication.  I'm always amazed at what they did back then, and in three days!

Where is Albury?  In Australia?

Also considering the flimsy nature of some of the planes and the weather they encountered.

Albury is about 300km  NE  of Melbourne on the NSW/Victorian border.

http://www.uivermemorial.org.au/race.html

http://www.abc.net.au/local/stories/2006/11/21/1793944.htm

I lived in Melbourne in 1984 and was lucky enough to see the DC-2 passing on it's way to, I think, Essendon on its final few minutes of the 50th Anniversary flight.

1 minute ago, VH-KDK said:

Also considering the flimsy nature of some of the planes and the weather they encountered.

Albury is about 300km  NE  of Melbourne on the NSW/Victorian border.

http://www.uivermemorial.org.au/race.html

http://www.abc.net.au/local/stories/2006/11/21/1793944.htm

I lived in Melbourne in 1984 and was lucky enough to see the DC-2 passing on it's way to, I think, Essendon on its final few minutes of the 50th Anniversary flight.

You lived there in 1884??  Why you’d be 133 years old! :lol:

3 minutes ago, VH-KDK said:

Yes, I was a bit slow changing the typo.

There are some things I like to keep secret, my age is one of them.:huh::o:lol:

I’m 58 but some days I feel 21 and others 121!

Today I just feel grateful.  I’ll be even more grateful when OF2 is released but I’m patiently waiting, Orbx stuff is like a fine wine.  I doubt they want to release a poor vintage...

6 minutes ago, Jack Sawyer said:

I’m 58 but some days I feel 21 and others 121!

Today I just feel grateful.  I’ll be even more grateful when OF2 is released but I’m patiently waiting, Orbx stuff is like a fine wine.  I doubt they want to release a poor vintage...

Unlike some who rush something out that is totally un flyable or a scenic disaster.;)

4 hours ago, paulb said:

I could look at maps all day Jack. Just something about them :).

Paul, I am the same way! I love maps, especially historic one! I have many times spent hours just poring over atlas' and maps of all sorts. Very cool posting!

Archived