It's Finger Laking Good.

VH-KDK

I can just remember visiting Cayuga Lake and Ithica almost 60 years ago.

Here is the first half of a flight across the Finger Lakes in Central New York State.

OLC NA, FTX Trees, Vector, P3DV4, Alabeo Saratoga, REX TD EE, PTA Adams 2.5 REX version.

1.fg1.jpg

Starting the journey from 1NY0 Wallbridge.

2.fg2.jpg

Acouple of communications masts poke through the low cloud near Cardiff. Not looking too good for the flight.

3.fg3.jpg

Getting a bit of a lift at Otisco Lake but not too sure if I should proceed as we are flying over the town of Amber.

4.fg4.jpg

Skaneateles Lake is the next one and the town of Mandana on the far bank.

5.fg5.jpg

Leaving that pesky low clouds and the first two lakes behind.

6.fg6.jpg

Owasco Lake. Auburn can be seen in the distance at the head of the lake.

7.fg7.jpg

1NY8 Killian Airfield at Scipio Centre can be seen here.

8.fg8.jpg

NK74 Match Mate is under the Saratoga as we approach Cayuga Lake.

9.fg9.jpg

Cayuga Lake is the second largest of the Finger Lakes. Passing the town of Aurora.

10.fg10.jpg

Seneca Lake is the largest of them. Seneca AAF along with the bases buildings can be seen.

11.fg11.jpg

Willard is on the left and Dresden just out of view on the right as we fly over Seneca Lake.

12.fg12.jpg

KPEO Pen Yan Airport and the town of the same name.

4 minutes ago, paulb said:

Just noticed that you are two................no, make that one like now off 4,000! That is amazing Martyn. Someone up there must like you.

Nice shots btw :D.

Cheers Paul. Someone up there does Paul but I am not too sure how many down here like me!:unsure::huh::lol:

There's a small free scenery for Taylor Field (by Jon Davidson. http://appalachianscenery.webs.com/  at the usual download sites such as Flightsim.com) which is roughly on the location of the Curtiss museum at Hammondsport at the south end of Lake Keuka.

Seems to work fine for me in FSX and P3D2 (and probably other versions).

Finger Lakes is a good area to explore, both in the sim and in the "real" world, been twice!

Leyland

1 hour ago, paulb said:

Lots and lots of people Martyn! :D

Cheers for that Paul, makes me feel happy:)

12 minutes ago, Leyland said:

There's a small free scenery for Taylor Field (by Jon Davidson. http://appalachianscenery.webs.com/  at the usual download sites such as Flightsim.com) which is roughly on the location of the Curtiss museum at Hammondsport at the south end of Lake Keuka.

Seems to work fine for me in FSX and P3D2 (and probably other versions).

Finger Lakes is a good area to explore, both in the sim and in the "real" world, been twice!

Leyland

Thanks for the tip Leyland. First time I have visited in FS which is the only way I will get to see it again!

I have flown over this area many times at FL350 going into BOS . It is nice to see it up close with your trip Martyn . Maybe someday Orbx will do a upgrade to the NE USA . :):)

Cheers

John

PS - Congrats on passing the 4000 mark , it won't be long before you overtake JV . :rolleyes::D

Your narrations are always fascinating, Martyn. You seem to have been at every place on this planet, with so much local knowledge!

50 minutes ago, Jack Sawyer said:

By the way, what is EE?

Enantiomeric Excess, Jack, gives the ratio of original and mirror compound in a mixture of chiral substances. Don´t know if this was meant here, though... :D

15 minutes ago, Jack Sawyer said:

Huh?  Speak English Gerold! :lol:  I don't understand ancient Mesopotamian.  :o

Look your left hand and your right hand, Jack: they are "chiral": Identical, but you can not paste one over the other, because they are like image and mirror-image.

The same is true for any chemical substance, like Ibuprofen or Tartaric acid.

Your hands should have an Enantiomeric Excess of 0, as you have the same number of right and left hands. If not, let me know :D!

1 minute ago, Stillwater said:

Look your left hand and your right hand, Jack: they are "chiral": Identical, but you can not paste one over the other, because they are like image and mirror-image.

Your hands should have an Enantiomeric Excess of 0, as you have the same number of right and left hands. If not, let me know :D!

Very interesting, I love learning stuff like this.  

7 hours ago, BradB said:

I have flown over this area many times at FL350 going into BOS . It is nice to see it up close with your trip Martyn . Maybe someday Orbx will do a upgrade to the NE USA . :):)

Cheers

John

PS - Congrats on passing the 4000 mark , it won't be long before you overtake JV . :rolleyes::D

Thanks John, the NE would be a fantastic addition. OLC does a wonderful job in this area.

7 hours ago, lifejogger said:

Thanks fort the tour of the lakes Martyn.  Nice shots and commentary.

Thank you John.

6 hours ago, Jack Sawyer said:

Well we like you Martyn, always have nice and pleasant comments.

And these are wonderful shots.  By the way, what is EE?

Along with JV, EE was the vehicle registration mark for Grimsby in Lincolnshire!  REX TD Enhanced Edition Jack. I saw someone else using the abbreviation so I thought it was a good idea with less typing.

Cheers for your comments.

5 hours ago, Stillwater said:

Your narrations are always fascinating, Martyn. You seem to have been at every place on this planet, with so much local knowledge!

Enantiomeric Excess, Jack, gives the ratio of original and mirror compound in a mixture of chiral substances. Don´t know if this was meant here, though... :D

Thank you for your comment Gerold. I have travelled to a few places in my lifetime but now I can go any where in relative safety with ORBX!

You have blinded me with science but I don't think I was on your particular track.

5 hours ago, Stillwater said:

Maybe Jack has been drinking bottled water from Three Mile Island.:o:ph34r:

5 hours ago, Jack Sawyer said:

Very interesting, I love learning stuff like this.  

Great stuff isn't it Jack!

2 hours ago, Capt Pugwash said:

"I'm lovin it!" ...

Glad you are enjoying it Shaun. This is what makes our forums so great!

2 hours ago, JohnnyJohnJohn said:

Great set VH!  Looks good!  :)  Gonna have to start doing some flights in different areas.... too many to explore though after this last sale!  LOL

Cheers John. Masses of interesting flying out there.

1 hour ago, Iain Emms said:

Grand shots

cheers

Iain

Thanks Iain.

Many thanks to you all for your input. Greatly appreciated and also very interesting.:)

47 minutes ago, VH-KDK said:

You have blinded me with science but I don't think I was on your particular track.

Maybe Jack has been drinking bottled water from Three Mile Island.:o:ph34r:

Well mates, that part of science is my job. And the attempt to teach you was a pleasure to me ;)!

Archived