Price Points

phillmorgan86

Just a query:

The price of EU Norway is currently 28.57 and includes ~420,000 sq km of scenery

The price of EU Northern Ireland is currently 28.57 and includes ~14,000 sq km of scenery

That seems to be a strange pricing strategy. I get 30 times more area coverage from Norway, and yet it is the same price point as Northern Ireland? It seems very odd to "value" the two at the same price point. I would have thought the area covered would play a part in the pricing of products. I already own Norway, and love it greatly, I cannot get enough of it. I would love to get hold of all EU regions and complete my set, but I must say I begrudge paying the same amount of money, for a country that is so much smaller, with so much less to see.

Any thoughts on this?

Phill,

I have had the same perspective as you with regards to the UK/Ireland regions with their perceived values.  It really has been the one thing that has kept me from picking these up, especially when you consider there looks to be only 7 airports on the whole NIR region.  Kind of pales in comparison to something like the CRM where 450 airports have been upgraded.  The those areas credit it is good to see that ORBX has been going back into them and adding in service packs to increase the POI and hence value.  I am not looking to say that price is not reflective of the effort just that the price/size has been the thing that has kept me from putting them in my fairly good size ORBX collection. 

Kind Regards,

Brett

1 hour ago, phillmorgan86 said:

I must say I begrudge paying the same amount of money, for a country that is so much smaller, with so much less to see.

With all due respect to the effort required to create NIR, this is the reason I haven't purchased it.

I had not purchased Ireland (70,000 sq km and 30 airports upgraded) for the same reason.  

(I finally bought it at 48% off, but still felt I was overpaying when Germany North is the same price with 182,991 sq km and 386 airports.)

I only have Wales because I purchased the DVD version from FSS for just a few $.  

9 minutes ago, Triplane said:

... the price for Open LC North America is, indeed, incorrect. It should actually be AU$13,456.....

The open LCs are not regions, they are just land class and I'm pretty sure it isn't all "hand placed" as the region LC is advertised.

It isn't just about sq km of coverage.  The accuracy of the land class, vector data, and mesh, the number of airports upgraded (and to what extent), the amount of custom textures, photo-real areas, the number of 3D objects and points of interest, all play into the overall value of a product IMHO.

Again, I mean no disrespect to the developers or Orbx, and don't mean to imply that a particular region isn't a good representation of what is really there, only that the regions are not of equal value in my opinion.

I find it difficult to understand why people might not be happy with Orbx pricing compared to how much FREE updates and FREE scenery that Orbx delivers. I mean, is our memory that short-sighted that we cannot remember the very recent FREE updates for all the airports, regions and open LC's for Prepard3D v4? I suggest we keep things in perspective :)

All the regions (old, new, large, small) have the same non-sale price of $54.95 AUD and I bet the demand for them is not uniform.  I would speculate that standardized pricing simply makes business sense for Orbx.

IMHO, Orbx's freeware and free updates have been smart business on Orbx's part and also good for customers.  Win-win!!

I suspect free updates from FSX to P3D, and additional updates for P3D versions, encouraged customers to stick with P3D, and subsequently purchase even more Orbx scenery!  Free updates probably also attract new customers looking for stability and longevity for their addon scenery.

Without free Orbx updates, how many people might have just kept their previous sim version?  Or updated their sim but not re-purchased Orbx? Or changed to XP-11?

I certainly appreciate Orbx offering free updates, but surely those updates benefited Orbx too, because they kept me a customer and kept me buying more and more scenery.

I'm an Orbx fan.  I own 5 DVD and 74 digital Orbx products and expect to buy more.  I'm generally pretty happy with the "value" of what I have purchased.  However, I don't consider the "value" of all the regions to be identical.  I feel the same about the airports, though there are a couple price tiers now.  Some regions and airports clearly give more bang for your buck than others, while others are very similar.  Differences in my perceived "value" of each product has influenced my purchasing decisions.  The OP asked for opinions, that is mine. YMMV :)

Strange time to be having a discussion about price points; during a 48% off sale ;) .  I can see the OP's point regarding perceived value though.

I must admit, the only regions I have not purchased are the Ireland regions.  Going by the lack of addon airports for those regions I can guess I am not the only one who has bypassed them.  I have been tempted a few times, but the two main reasons I have not purchased these regions are:

1/ I use photoreal with autogen when I do fly there and have found that to suit.

2/ No disrespect intended to either the developers or the residents of Ireland, but there don't seem to be a great deal of features in the ORBX Ireland regions.  I have checked the KMZ files several times and apart from the usual improved landclass, roads, coasts etc, the only real POIs seem to be numerous lighthouses.  I am sure there is much more to see in Ireland.

I must say that I have a lot of ORBX products and I have never really questioned their value (well apart from the short period they were selling all airports at $39.95 ;) ).  Considering the quality of the products, the support, the free upgrades and the regular sales, the value of the products is actually excellent.  I have even been considering adding those Irish regions to my collection during this sale, despite the reasons I gave against it above.

I'd started looking at things on a dollar/hour (a/c and over regions) or dollar per visit basis (airports).  However that comes unstuck a bit when you take quality into account... an hour in one Cherokee is not the same value as an hour in another.  With our hosts products I figure it averages out.  I've spent hours and hours plying some regions and not so many in others.  It still works out to peanuts in the grand scheme of things.

If you can't justify buying something to yourself you certainly don't have to to anyone here.

On 8/11/2017 at 5:11 PM, phillmorgan86 said:

Thanks Nick, I appreciate the reply. Of corse the amount of work should be reflected. Being a developer myself, I have to agree wholeheartedly!

If anyone else has any thoughts, I would appreciate their opinions.

In this world there is an economical principle called "Supply & Demand". And also something called "price elasticity".
In short: The price of a product isn't bound necessarily to the amount of work it took to produce. In fact, most of the time it is not. Ask Apple.

Archived