Navy RTC San Diego

Ripcord

30 years ago, at the end of May 1987, I jointed the US Navy, and off to San Diego I went for 'Recruit Training'.  I know I've spoke of this a couple times now, right here in these forums.

But I had to say just how amazing it is to be taken back in time like this, when you can see your barracks and all the details here.  Lots and lots of memories, good and less good, packed right into this little screen shot right here. 

SanDiego1.jpg

Where the hell has the time gone?

This was a year after us, but nothing would have changed.

Our division was the performing group, with the band, the rifle drill team, color guard (I was left nut), and 50-state flag team.  All we did was march and practice our routines. 

Great stuff here -- you can hear the aircraft coming in for landing at the old field.

Carry on smartly.

Didn't even know that place was modeled in ORBX land.  Marched on that grinder from September through December 1968.  Stood on the foc'sl of a tin can, sailed under the bridge and out past the breakwater on the way to 'Frisco on a shakedown cruise in January of 1970.  Saltines and Hershey bars the whole way.

Good stuff here, the times have definitely changed for us Navy types.  Everyone goes through Great Lakes now and the Marines have split the males and females in Boot Camp to Paris Island and now San Diego.  Good times for sure as if you are in the Navy at some point you are bound to be in San Diego at some point or another.

All of these great stories from the past coming out, one of the great things I enjoy about the forums.

It shows how good the representation is when you point out so many features from your times training.

Archived