No screens, sorry but a question.

Jack Sawyer

To all of my friends here in the screenshot forum, I'm about to buy three, maybe four Oz airports today.  Now, I ned help in deciding which ones to buy first.  I know absolutely nothing about Down Under and would LOVE to go there in real life someday.  

And, since it's a ginormous continent, any advice on which ones to get?

I notice Orbx didn't make a Sydney?  Isn't that the largest airport in Australia?

So, sorry for no screens but after my purchases today we'll be seeing me flying around Australia a lot.

Thanks for any advice.  Remember, only four.

Jack

There are two main entry points for travel to Australia: Sydney (FlyTampa) and Melbourne (Orbx). Fly into where you like, they are both good & (due to the size) frame rate demanding.

To me Cairns would be a must in the north of Queensland, Jarrad has done an amazing job up there.

The next pick should be one of the smaller ones, but which one first...? I can´t tell, maybe Hervey Bay or Caloundra? Or a complete red world, like in Alice Springs or Broome? 3 is not enough, Jack...!

5 minutes ago, Stillwater said:

There are two main entry points for travel to Australia: Sydney (FlyTampa) and Melbourne (Orbx). Fly into where you like, they are both good & (due to the size) frame rate demanding.

To me Cairns would be a must in the north of Queensland, Jarrad has done an amazing job up there.

The next pick should be one of the smaller ones, but which one first...? I can´t tell, maybe Hervey Bay or Caloundra? Or a complete red world, like in Alice Springs or Broome? 3 is not enough, Jack...!

Thanks Gerold,  I really want only Orbx.  I like Alice Springs, looks like Mars.  Same with Broome.  We have that same darned red soil here in Georgia but not on such a large scale.

I like Melbourne though.

And what about Brisbane, I really like the way it looks on Orbx direct.

Wish I could afford more than four, birthday coming up so I'll ask Wifey in July.

Edit:

Wait, they have two Queenslands?  One in Australia and the one I bought in NZ?  Interesting.

Edit 2: Gonna buy four.  No idea which ones yet.  It's a big country so what about either all near each other or one each at the four points of the compass?  Or something else entirely?

Jack,

I think YMML, Melbourne, is the most updated of the Australian airports.

I assume you will get all the Orbx freeware Aussie airports too.

You may want to spread out your payware airports to have one nice Orbx airport to base out of while exploring different parts of Oz.

You might get a couple within a nice flying distance of each other or pick payware ones that have free ones nearby.  Check out the product map to see where they are in relation to each other.

I might get:

YMML because it is big and most recently updated.

YSCB because it is the capitol and you could also get the Canberra cityscape to go with it.

YWOL because it is between YSCB and Sydney (and the multiple Orbx airports around Sydney).

YBBN because it is surrounded by a bunch more Orbx free and pay airports.

I really like my YBCS, YBAS, and YBRM too.  They are isolated from other Orbx fields, but are well done and good bases to fly from.

Note: Queensland is a state in Australia.  Queenstown is a town in New Zealand.

1 hour ago, Jack Sawyer said:

And what about Brisbane, I really like the way it looks on Orbx direct.

Oh sorry, Jack, I have to warn you with Brisbane (even though we are on its manufacturers website and even though I have it): It is the one airport worldwide that is the most VAS consuming one. Brings my system to crash even with a Carenado KingAir (not mention PMDGs). It is definetively not on my suggestion list.

PS to the admins: Brisbane needs a VAS-saving update. Sorry to say.

52 minutes ago, Stewart Hobson said:

YBCS Cairns and AYPY Jacksons Intl in Papua New Guinea, which comes with a bunch of extra airports.  Then you can fly north up the coast of Oz and then over the water to Jacksons.

+1 and as Gerold has already pointed out: Melbourne

G'day Jack

#1 Definitely Melbourne YMML its the one airport I fly out of on a daily basis and

in real life flights go to all main centres in Aus.

#2 Canberra YSCB and as pointed out earlier the cityscape is a well worth extension.

#3 Essendon YMEN a stones throw away from YMML if you like your commuter and

light aircraft ops.

#4 Broome YBRM for that more remote but spectacular setting.

All the best

cheers

Gumby

Gosh, thanks fellas!  I have a lot to look at and decide.  At least I know for sure Brisbane is out, for now.

I already downloaded and installed all the Oceana freeware an hour ago.  I'm going to see what Martyn has to say too.

But with this list I'm going to see what ya'll think is the best and put them on my short list.  I really appreciate your input!

1 hour ago, Stewart Hobson said:

YBCS Cairns and AYPY Jacksons Intl in Papua New Guinea, which comes with a bunch of extra airports.  Then you can fly north up the coast of Oz and then over the water to Jacksons.

Hi Stew, I already have AYPY and love it.  I bought all they had on offer in NZ and was well worth it.

45 minutes ago, Stillwater said:

Oh sorry, Jack, I have to warn you with Brisbane (even though we are on its manufacturers website and even though I have it): It is the one airport worldwide that is the most VAS consuming one. Brings my system to crash even with a Carenado KingAir (not mention PMDGs). It is definetively not on my suggestion list.

PS to the admins: Brisbane needs a VAS-saving update. Sorry to say.

I did not know this, thanks for the heads up Gerold!

1 minute ago, Stewart Hobson said:

Gee, thanks Stew!  Holy crow!  I didn't realize just HOW big Australia really is!  I mean Alice Springs is plum SLAP In the middle of the continent and it looks like everything else is on the coast lines.  Now I have some perspective.  

Four tonight as soon as I get some more input, especially from Martyn.  But I respect all of you guys' input!  

In time I am going to buy every last one.

2 hours ago, Jack Sawyer said:

Gee, thanks Stew!  Holy crow!  I didn't realize just HOW big Australia really is!  I mean Alice Springs is plum SLAP In the middle of the continent and it looks like everything else is on the coast lines.  Now I have some perspective.  

Four tonight as soon as I get some more input, especially from Martyn.  But I respect all of you guys' input!  

In time I am going to buy every last one.

Save some for the Holiday sale in December Jack . :unsure::D

John

1 minute ago, BradB said:

John

If all comes together John, by December I will be able to buy all of Orbx's stuff in one day.  The entire catalog.  Waiting on my inheritance, held up by a dumb lawyer and my sister.  Just legal nonsense.

Can you guys believe my good fortune?  I had a gut feeling to wait till today to buy the Oz sceneries and now I find that most are 47% OFF!!!!  Thank you Orbx!  Now I can buy a lot more today.

So far in my cart is 

YBCS

YHBA

YMML

YBAS

YBRM

And I'm still deciding on what else.

Thank you whoever made this decision!  

A bit late on the scene Jack but looks like everything has been covered. They are all airports that are worth having. Maybe if you marked them all on a map and then you can decide where you want to fly and then buy.

Ant has done a wonderful freeware YBBN but I don't know how well this would work in P3Dv3.4 though.

Plenty of Australian airports and repaints on the link below

http://aussiex.org/forum/index.php?/files/category/1-ozx-scenery/

12 hours ago, BradB said:

John

John, what version of P3D did you have the OZx freeware airports working in? Maybe you could give Jack some advice as it would make his down under experience so much better.

Just now, VH-KDK said:

A bit late on the scene Jack but looks like everything has been covered. They are all airports that are worth having. Maybe if you marked them all on a map and then you can decide where you want to fly and then buy.

Ant has done a wonderful freeware YBBN but I don't know how well this would work in P3Dv3.4 though.

Thanks my friend!  

1 minute ago, Jack Sawyer said:

Thanks my friend!  

Quite alright Jack, I did have the OZx airports running on V2.4 18 months ago. The runways were there but some of the airport buildings were missing. May well be something I did wrong but hopefully John or someone else can give you some better advice on the OZx freeware, believe me it is well worth having if you can get it going. I still run it in FSX where there are no problems!

1 minute ago, VH-KDK said:

Quite alright Jack, I did have the OZx airports running on V2.4 18 months ago. The runways were there but some of the airport buildings were missing. May well be something I did wrong but hopefully John or someone else can give you some better advice on the OZx freeware, believe me it is well worth having if you can get it going. I still run it in FSX where there are no problems!

I'm tempted but unless it says Orbx brand I'm a little cautious.  I spent a small fortune on FSX useless junk from an unnamed developer.  Don't want to make that mistake again.  And like a broken record, no one I contacted will support 64 bit except Orbx.

64 bit P3D is the Holy Grail of sims for me.

18 minutes ago, VH-KDK said:

John, what version of P3D did you have the OZx freeware airports working in? Maybe you could give Jack some advice as it would make his down under experience so much better.

Hey Martyn , I had them working with P3Dv3.4 . I have installed the hot fix to version 3.4.22 . I assume they will work just fine , I will have to test them later today .

John

1 minute ago, BradB said:

Hey Martyn , I had them working with P3Dv3.4 . I have installed the hot fix to version 3.4.22 . I assume they will work just fine , I will have to test them later today .

John

Thanks John, shall look out for your results.

Gotta go to sleep now, dog tired and another busy day tomorrow!

Well Jack, what ended up in the basket?  If I would have told you to pick it would have been:

YMML (Nicely Done)

YBRM (Cause I just flew from there last night :) )

YBCS (Awesome)

And for the last few I would of moved over to New Zealand and gotten 

NZMF (Classic and first airport done in New Zealand and goes well with the type of flying you like)

NZQN (It's the mecca of all approaches and the scenery is fantastic, the Innsbruck approach of down under )

1 minute ago, Sammy H said:

Well Jack, what ended up in the basket?  If I would have told you to pick it would have been:

YMML (Nicely Done)

YBRM (Cause I just flew from there last night :) )

YBCS (Awesome)

And for the last few I would of moved over to New Zealand and gotten 

NZMF (Classic and first airport done in New Zealand and goes well with the type of flying you like)

NZQN (It's the mecca of all approaches and the scenery is fantastic, the Innsbruck approach of down under )

Hi Sammy, I got:

YBCS - Cairns

YHBA - Hervey Bay

YMML - Melbourne

YBAS - Alice Springs

YBRM - Broome

YPEC - Aeropelican

YSCB - Canberra

And maybe later today the city of Canberra.

I already have all of Orbx's offerings of NZ.  I love that place, probably one of the most scenic places in Orbxland, wait, no, they're ALL good!

Did I say how much I appreciate this sale?  It made my weekend!

Yup, I will be picking up a few offerings today myself.  I am thinking I need more regions in Europe.  I think I only have 3 currently so maybe will complete the set so i will have all the regions covered for now.  I need Germany, Ireland, Northern Ireland, and I think Wales.

Yup, I will be picking up a few offerings today myself.  I am thinking I need more regions in Europe.  I think I only have 3 currently so maybe will complete the set so i will have all the regions covered for now.  I need Germany, Ireland, Northern Ireland, and I think Wales.

I have those, they're fine, and Germany, I haven't even explored it yet!  I see more of it here than I do in my sim, but I'll hopefully get to it.

Flying over the whole of the UK is really a relaxing experience for me as I lived there for three years.  It's so beautiful with the fields and hedges and never too far from the coast.

Yeah, I am torn between 2 VA's right now as I fly for Qantas and just got to Sydney.  I also fly for United which I am currently stuck in Vienna on my Austrian Codeshare flights.  Got some decisions to make about where and who to fly next :)

2 minutes ago, Sammy H said:

Yeah, I am torn between 2 VA's right now as I fly for Qantas and just got to Sydney.  I also fly for United which I am currently stuck in Vienna on my Austrian Codeshare flights.  Got some decisions to make about where and who to fly next :)

I fly with FSE, Flight Sim Economy, my British friend and I own a couple of small FBO's in Alaska.  That's why I bought all of Alaska right from the git go.  Haven't been doing it as much lately as I'm so darned busy.

Never heard of it but now I am curious :)

It's really cool Sammy, you can rent planes it keeps track of your fuel, you can work your way up to owning any kind of plane and FBO if they're for sale.  It's a lot of fun and can be addictive.  But as always, the usual advice is don't chase the money as you get paid in V$ to haul people and cargo.

Archived