Manual download daily limit has now been removed

John Venema

Hello everyone,

After several months of testing and code improvements to OrbxDirect and FTX Central, and gathering download data from customers we have now moved to a new global CDN provider which offers improved edge node performance. All nodes on this CDN are fully populated with our files so no matter which part of the world you connect from there is no waiting for files to be moved from the central location.

This means that unless you specifically must need a manual download, there is no speed advantage in doing so. We recommend that you use FTX Central for all downloads and tick the "[x] Use multiple threads for downloads" option. This function acts exactly the same as a Download Manager and gives you up to 6 concurrent connections to the CDN at once, using your CPU cores as separate virtual PCs.

For those who must use the manual download, we have now removed the 5 downloads per day limit - there are no more restrictions on manual downloads.

Please note that for customers in parts of Scandinavia, West Germany and in some parts of the Virginias USA there are internet and network design issues which are out of our control. Our new CDN provider is aware of these bottleneck areas and are working with telcos to try to overcome the slower bandwidth issues. Please note that these problems affect most CDN providers not just Orbx. Our testing across several providers consistently showed a bottleneck in those parts of the world.

You will now notice with multiple threads activated, a much faster download speed. Please be aware that the speed being shown can be much faster than your actual ISP bandwidth. This is a bug in our speed calculator based on using multiple connections, and we'll roll out improvements to the download progress bar over the next months, as well as looking at ways to improve the download code even further.

I want to thank the community for its patience and understanding during the launch phase of OrbxDirect. I know it has not gone smoothly for everyone and we are continuing to refine our code and infrastructure to deliver the most robust delivery solution in the market.

While I never had serious issues from day 1 even in view of a full install on a new machine (I am living in EASTERN Germany), I really acknowledge your efforts for those seriously suffering.

Much looking forward to new contents from ORBX now!

Kind regards, Michael

With the new download speeds I don't need to make backups anymore. Last night I installed 12 products and it took less than a hour for all to be installed including regions. I think you got the fastest downloads out there that I have seen. Thanks for making the experience pleasurable.  Cant wait for the new products.   Thanks  Josh

Great news and great, hard work making this happen JV. I am similar to Michael above in that even though I live on an island, I never experienced any of the slow download issues that some other customers were having, but I am nonetheless happy for them. Great stuff Orbx team! 

Although the 5 D/L per day restriction is lifted when I sign into ORBX Direct and click on "Account" it lists all my purchases.  Click on 'INFO' and the restriction warning appears in red when the screen opens.

I have just finished a complete install of all products due to a system rebuild. I would say that for one to several products the system is working perfectly in terms of speed and function. However for a many product install as I just did you desperately need some form of batch system or at a minimum put a default installation method and directory location in the settings screen. If you had a default all you would need to do is click install whereas now it is 8 or 9 clicks plus navigating to the backup directory for each airport! This should be pretty easy to implement and would greatly benefit customers that own a lot of products whether by down loading or from a backup. 

Also so you need two more listing choices.

1 only show products that I do not own

2 only show products that I own but are not installed

Thanks

Terry

On ‎8‎/‎02‎/‎2017 at 7:32 AM, Gent said:

I have just finished a complete install of all products due to a system rebuild. I would say that for one to several products the system is working perfectly in terms of speed and function. However for a many product install as I just did you desperately need some form of batch system or at a minimum put a default installation method and directory location in the settings screen. If you had a default all you would need to do is click install whereas now it is 8 or 9 clicks plus navigating to the backup directory for each airport! This should be pretty easy to implement and would greatly benefit customers that own a lot of products whether by down loading or from a backup. 

Also so you need two more listing choices.

1 only show products that I do not own

2 only show products that I own but are not installed

Thanks

Terry

Hi Terry,

Thanks for the feedback!  We'll certainly look into adding this functionality.

Cheers,

Matt.

Archived