Wood Wire and Cloth

Mark Abdey

The Curtiss Jenny... Between Cork and Waterford in Ireland.

709535686dc21ba83ed6d752a07de72a.jpg

10a1b30023f8ce5fb3bb3f22072fa444.jpg

This is an old FS2004 model that was modded to work in FSX... I'm now trying to run it in P3D but have an issue with getting it moving on the ground {it simply doesn't even under full power}. If I slew it into the air I can then fly as normal and I assume there is something in the wrong location, or under a wrong setting value in P3D for this AC in the aircraft cfg... I have no clue in this area.

If anyone knows how to remedy this I would be grateful.

Thank you for looking :)

Thanks gents :)

38 minutes ago, TigerTigerM said:

Is this from the Ford Trimotor Project group?

I have their Jenny & it flies in P3Dv3.4 very nicely.

Yes, its the same model, although I got it from another site, with more paints... so you have it flying ok, with no issues getting it moving on the runway?

I can touch down, and bring the speed right down and then re-apply the power and it goes, but if I stop I can't get her moving again :blink: I've tried various realism settings... unless I'm being stupid an missing something.

38 minutes ago, Mark Abdey said:

Thanks gents :)

Yes, its the same model, although I got it from another site, with more paints... so you have it flying ok, with no issues getting it moving on the runway?

I can touch down, and bring the speed right down and then re-apply the power and it goes, but if I stop I can't get her moving again :blink: I've tried various realism settings... unless I'm being stupid an missing something.

No issues.

All my aircraft hot start, so prop is running when I open airport/aircraft  up.

Responds to throttle & takes off.

Very slow & elegant in flight. 

I did d/l the FSX version, not the 2004, from here:

http://www.ford-tri-motor.net/curtiss-jenny.htm

Suggest you try that, [fsx version], see if it makes a difference.

Also loaded into P3D via the Estonian Migration Tool.

Good luck

TTM

1 minute ago, TigerTigerM said:

Suggest you try that, [fsx version], see if it makes a difference.

Cheers TTM.. yes, this is the same FSX version... and just in case I dl'ed it and replaced the files. It tries to respond to the throttle, and moves at a snails pace, but nothing more... Baffled :(

Wonderful pair of shots.

I have several FSX aircraft that have the same problem when transferred to P3Dv2.4 using the migration tool.

They will not budge at full throttle.

What I do is go to the map and put in a speed of 30kts and add 20 ft to the shown elevation. The plane drops to the runway and off it goes.

The majority of the FSX planes do work though.

It would be nice though to know what the problem is and if there is a fix.

Thank you Dolf and Iain )

31 minutes ago, VH-KDK said:

It would be nice though to know what the problem is and if there is a fix.

Thank you.... and I'm glad its not just me. This is the first time I've had this issue, other FSX AC's have worked fine, so this is a first. One of my Carenado's which was a P3Dv2 AC fails to work with v3 which is very annoying as well [that's a yoke control issue]...

The tip with the map is a good one.... and I guess I could start with another AC and then swap to the Curtiss.

21 hours ago, Mark Abdey said:

Cheers TTM.. yes, this is the same FSX version... and just in case I dl'ed it and replaced the files. It tries to respond to the throttle, and moves at a snails pace, but nothing more... Baffled :(

Well this is a bit of an odd one Mark.

I'll ponder & dig around.

When I open up the throttle get a realistic torque effect, [body twitches], & off it goes.

What are you using for a throttle?? 

Can you get into .Air files??

TTM

Lovely shots Mark. Don't have a solution for your problem unfortunately. I also have various ported 'planes with weird behaviour, and usually just resort to the sort of tricks mentioned here. Or more likely, after a while I tend to forget about the 'plane and not use it - but this looks far too good a beast to ignore like that.

17 hours ago, Stillwater said:

Heavy metal shots. And the colour fits so well to the Island!

8 hours ago, Voyager said:

Frameable screenshots Mark.

Voyager

2 hours ago, Ken Hall said:

glorious

Thank you Gerold, Voyager and Ken :)

1 hour ago, TigerTigerM said:

I'll ponder & dig around.

When I open up the throttle get a realistic torque effect, [body twitches], & off it goes.

What are you using for a throttle?? 

Can you get into .Air files??

TTM

Please PM me if you come up with anything :)

I'm using a Saitek stick with build in throttle... but using the mouse or keys is the same. I get RPM but no movement.... and I have no clue about .AIR files.

54 minutes ago, andy1252 said:

but this looks far too good a beast to ignore like that.

Indeed it is :(

44 minutes ago, Mark Abdey said:

Please PM me if you come up with anything :)

I'm using a Saitek stick with build in throttle... but using the mouse or keys is the same. I get RPM but no movement.... and I have no clue about .AIR files.

Hate to comment on the obvious, but you are releasing the brakes?

I have noticed the "Brakes On" in red letters doesn't show up in bottom left of screen on the Jenny.  It does with all other aircraft.

Maybe check your brake On/Off inputs??

I use Ctrl .  for the brakes.

Will PM any thoughts

TTM

Mark

I have taken a Jenny out for a flight & noted the following , with pics.

(1) Hot start, engine idles then stops. I restart with Ctrl + X, & it keeps running at an idle

(2) Doesn't seem to have a brake. Forward movement controlled by throttle whether i have 'brake' on or off.

(3) No mixture or prop speed controls, only throttle. Correct?

I'm going to have a  look in Aircraft.cfg, possibly .Air as well

TTM

Idling around 600 rpm. I don't think Altimeter works.

CJJ-1.jpg

Opened throttle, slowly got going then lifted tail at 44 kia & off deck at 65 kia.

& off deck around 1,600 rpm. [see next shot]. I throttle back to around 1,500 rpm & it holds 64 kia flat & level.

CJJ-2.jpg

Cockpit at lift off, 1,600 RPM & 65 kia. Altimeter hasn't moved.

CJJ-3.jpg

3 hours ago, TigerTigerM said:

(2) Doesn't seem to have a brake. Forward movement controlled by throttle whether i have 'brake' on or off.

(3) No mixture or prop speed controls, only throttle. Correct?

Check and Check... no brakes and basic VC.... BUT here is a weird thing I can take off in 'Hard Winter' but not other seasons...

So, this seems (maybe) to be a resistance thing... anyway, as this is 'screenshots' I'll add a new pic and try to figure this out elsewhere :ph34r:

Winter in Devon.

2016-12-14_19-21-20-513.jpg

Archived