An-2 S45 to KFHR (TTM's fault!)

Jack Sawyer

Well, I finally had a chance to try to learn this plane and make a test flight from my new S45 to KFHR.  

It was fun!  It's a cool plane, handles very well in trim, and with a tail wind I hit about 143 kts.  I can't believe how short of a runway it needs to lift off.  I mean mere yards, I was surprised that I was even in the air!

Don't understand most of it yet but it was still a very enjoyable flight.

I was very curious to see if I'd OOM and I did.  As soon as I gassed up at KFHR, OOM, bam, just shut down, not even the chimes.

Parameters:

Orbx Global, N/A LC, NW Region, Vector, Trees, etc.  AS16 on, Adams' PTA, HDR on, and all sliders full right.

Sorry for so many, I was excited and got carried away so I apologize in advance.

AAa2HJB.jpg

ziuOCTE.jpg

JmAl6i6.jpg

0AGgBh9.jpg

xlrKE2q.jpg

FqWdJ1r.jpg

EEAOhWT.jpg

9Mecyde.jpg

N6MmWjf.jpg

sQ7Y30X.jpg

MpphmuR.jpg

nPADSgU.jpg

nIpsNtr.jpg

3Vwpi4k.jpg

xZf9cmK.jpg

mHEqZbg.jpg

5jYrZ6u.jpg

H5truJq.jpg

YODROg0.jpg

pdwBjRI.jpg

7dfCdhS.jpg

UlG0EAO.jpg

ZLUaaH0.jpg

o8wvPP0.jpg

LqQYn6t.jpg

ZPNzNed.jpg

aM9nTOE.jpg

l94IQPK.jpg

yj6Ez5g.jpg

5kJtvcF.jpg

P09Ym5P.jpg

ybz972Q.jpg

4Og8u7V.jpg

gRMTjCR.jpg

W1vN8OV.jpg

FLJFPnd.jpg

mmyIDDu.jpg

Aaaaaannnnnndddd…..OOM!  :o

Tha…tha…tha…tha…that's all folks.

Jack

Your finger got stuck on the "V" button & you couldn't release it??:)

Nice set.:)

Friday Harbor does have a bit of a rep. for using fps, but perhaps all sliders to the right is being  optimistic?

Suggest you try pulling them back  a bit if your going into KFHR & see what happens.

Visually it may not be too much different & the OOM's may go away.

BTW, where did you get the AN-2 repaint? I like the wood grain interior.

& I see you smoked discretely so you must have sorted the mixture & cowl flaps.

TTM

2 minutes ago, TigerTigerM said:

Jack

Your finger got stuck on the "V" button & you couldn't release it??:)

Nice set.:)

Friday Harbor does have a bit of a rep. for using fps, but perhaps all sliders to the right is being  optimistic?

Suggest you try pulling them back  a bit if your going into KFHR & see what happens.

Visually it may not be too much different & the OOM's may go away.

BTW, where did you get the AN-2 repaint? I like the wood grain interior.

& I see you smoked discretely so you must have sorted the mixture & cowl flaps.

TTM

Gosh, I dunno, I thought it was default.  AVSIM maybe?  SOH?  I really can't remember.  The name of it is VH-CCE.zip

I didn't care if it OOM'd, I knew it would.  I just wanted to learn this wonderful plane.  I sent you a PM a little while ago Tiger.

And yeah, thanks to you I got the mixture & flaps right.  But did do something wrong?  I mean the black soot streak.  Is that mis-handling of the engine?

Being an avionics guy in real life has allowed me to see a lot of real cockpits and I'm always comfortable in any one of them.  But this one is very different being Russian.  Altimeter in meters, Cyrillic words, and several other things.  But ya know something, I LIKE it!  It's a great way to go low slow in Orbx land and man you can land anywhere, I mean anywhere.

It's a bee, it's bee, it's a beeautiful set of caps Jack, a truly wonderful flight.

Does not need much of a runway does it, Russia's answer to the Harrier?

Looking at some RL photos of the plane there is quite a big sooty streak along the side so I don't think you put it there by incorrect flying.

I drove a Belarus tractor years ago and the dials were very confusing all being in Cyrillic and reminds me of the L-39 having k/mh instead of knots!

Oh, and I told you Jack about FSX crashing the other day, well since then it has behave perfectly and at last I am actually getting the sort of performance I would expect from my set up.

Great photo album you put together Jack. We must have been there at about the same time because in pic #2 the guy with the Mohawk and his dog Phideaux was standing there when I left. [emoji4]

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

52 minutes ago, VH-KDK said:

It's a bee, it's bee, it's a beeautiful set of caps Jack, a truly wonderful flight.

Does not need much of a runway does it, Russia's answer to the Harrier?

Looking at some RL photos of the plane there is quite a big sooty streak along the side so I don't think you put it there by incorrect flying.

I drove a Belarus tractor years ago and the dials were very confusing all being in Cyrillic and reminds me of the L-39 having k/mh instead of knots!

Oh, and I told you Jack about FSX crashing the other day, well since then it has behave perfectly and at last I am actually getting the sort of performance I would expect from my set up.

:lol: Thanks Martyn, you gave me a good laugh!  Russia's answer to the Harrier!  :lol:  Yeah, I have the L-39 but I learned it quickly, the An-2 seems to be a very busy cockpit.  But I like it!  Must have been something to drive a Belarus tractor though, cool!  And I'm really glad to hear you have it worked out Martyn, I hope you get some great flights in now that you're up to speed or close to it.

12 minutes ago, Wakashi said:

Great photo album you put together Jack. We must have been there at about the same time because in pic #2 the guy with the Mohawk and his dog Phideaux was standing there when I left. emoji4.png

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

Small world!  Wish I could have seen you there.  We could have had a shot of Russian vodka I had stashed in my plane! :)

2 minutes ago, Jack Sawyer said:

:lol: Thanks Martyn, you gave me a good laugh!  Russia's answer to the Harrier!  :lol:  Yeah, I have the L-39 but I learned it quickly, the An-2 seems to be a very busy cockpit.  But I like it!  Must have been something to drive a Belarus tractor though, cool!  And I'm really glad to hear you have it worked out Martyn, I hope you get some great flights in now that you're up to speed or close to it.

Thank you Jack, glad I made you laugh, let's hope we are all laughing tomorrow:ph34r:

15 minutes ago, VH-KDK said:

Thank you Jack, glad I made you laugh, let's hope we are all laughing tomorrow:ph34r:

Ugh, that's why I spent a lot of time flying tonight.

Do you know something, I can proudly say I have not watched five minutes of TV since 1989?  I have far more interesting things to do with my time.

For example, I like to hike in the forest.

And I see a lot of deer, a lot.

So, I ask myself, do the deer really care what's gonna happen tomorrow?

I do but it put things in perspective.

No matter what happens tomorrow the sun will still rise.

And I'll hopefully be flying something fun over my little Orbx virtual world.

Having fun.

Some superb lighting and atmosphere in these shots!

And sure a great plane for those "cross-country way of flying".

Sorry for those annoying OOM's though. The better to read though that You nevertheless move on and continue enjoy flying around!

30 minutes ago, TigerTigerM said:

Jack

Black soot streak RHS viewed from right rear outside, & a thin smoke trail now & then seem to be standard. No worries.

I'm waiting for someone to run pics of  the new Alabeo C441. Looks pretty good.:)

TTM

Thanks TTM.  So now I have to learn that crazy nav instrument and fly with the GTN despite it not being coupled to that instrument.

This is because I can't believe there's no NAV freq's to dial in!

They must have flown a lot of dog leg routes with just the old ADF back then!

But it's still a nice plane.  I can land this thing on any short or dirt field.  It's like a helicopter with wings!

I'll bet I could even land this thing on a carrier!  LOL

Carrier would be no problem.

It lifts off at 38 to 48 kia & I have landed it at 40 kia no problem. Full flap & come in like an Eagle plopping into its nest.

An elegant plop though. Probably wrong choice of words, but you know what I mean having flown it.:)

TTM

Archived