John,help me to understand

Doc Scott

First one is my shot trying to "imitate" your screenshot.Second one is yours, to make comparison easier.

xmejabn2.jpg

a5irhj6c.jpg

Your resolution is higher than mine,your graphics card is better than mine.

My question is now: Why can I see more details in the distance in my shot than in your shot?

I guess, it can only be the "zoom factor" which makes the difference,or?Because it has nothing to do with the haze.

Your knowledge would be much appreciated.

Scott

P.S Again John,I hope you don't mind using your shot. 

Easy, I have wide view aspect ratio enabled and zoom is all the way out to 0.30; see this setting:

P3D3.4.9Settings1.jpg

In the screenshot of my setting above Wide-view Aspect Ratio is disabled, but for my PAVD shots it is enabled.

I generally don't like simming with a zoomed-in view, it's completely unrealistic. When I fly in the real world I can't see detail in the distance either. What I prefer to do is use Ctrl+Enter/Bksp or Shift+Enter/Bksp to move the pilot's eyepoint around in the VC, rather than the outside world zoom level. Also being zoomed out looks a lot better in the Oculus Rift VR headset as well.

FYI, here's that same shot but in 3840x2016 resolution (4K):

Valdex_4K_5.jpg

What post-effects and filters have you applied to your shot? It looks a bit processed.

Hi John,Hi folks!

Thanks for your quick answer John!

I haven't noticed this " Wide - view Aspect Ratio" yet!

Will give it a go,when you say that's more realistic.Learning never stops.

My shots are directly from P3D,using Ultra Realism Pack and reshade,

no post processing.

Regards,

Scott

Real time eh? That's some post-processing going in there!

I just realised that my 4K shot is being restricted to 2560 x 1440 resolution by the image hosting site I'm using. Not to worry, we will soon be offering OrbxDirect customers a new screenshot hosting solution that supports 4K.

12 hours ago, John Venema said:

Easy, I have wide view aspect ratio enabled and zoom is all the way out to 0.30; see this setting:

I generally don't like simming with a zoomed-in view, it's completely unrealistic. When I fly in the real world I can't see detail in the distance either. What I prefer to do is use Ctrl+Enter/Bksp or Shift+Enter/Bksp to move the pilot's eyepoint around in the VC, rather than the outside world zoom level....

Do you normally fly zoomed out on a wide aspect monitor John?  At 16:9 with wide aspect ticked, zoom level 1.0 is actually a fairly close approximation of what the Mk.1 eyeball sees out of the cockpit in terms of geometric distortion at least.  At other zoom levels you get compression or stretching of distances between objects especially at the edges of the field of vision.  Of course you're limited in your field of view by the size of the monitor, but I've found with Track-IR I get the most immersive view with wide aspect on and zoom level 1.  Always curious what other ways of doing things people have found.

Best explanation I've ever found of what exactly wide aspect and zoom actually does in ESP products is this video if anyone's curious:

I have three modes of flying now:

1. Screenshots - wide-view aspect ratio is always on to give screenshots a panoramic feel. I mostly take shots without a VC in view.

2. Flying for enjoyment - inside the Oculus Rift CV1 which I believe does not make use of the wide-view aspect ratio, although you have some control over zoom levels.

3. Testing scenery - I rarely do testing these days but if/when I am checking out a new product in beta I mostly use slew mode (Y) or use the Robinson R22. In this mode I use the mouse look mode (Shift+O) to move my viewpoint and zoom in/out to inspect details.

Hi Scott

I found this very interesting and the following  is based upon your comment that you use reshade.  I've found the easiest way to set colours in reshade is to make a custom colour look up table (lut) and then import that into reshade to set the colour preference.

The advantages to this approach (for me ) are:

1)  There is absolutely no frame rate loss/graphics overhead due to multiple shader passes , as all shaders in reshade are turned off as they are no longer needed

2) It is very easy to create a lookup table either from a screenshot, or alternatively from from a pic such as a jpg.

3)  I don't particularly like the somewhat "garnish" nature of colour composition that reshade provides & I found it difficult to set colour composition easily. I have a low powered laptop that I sometimes use for fsx when travelling. With this approach I can have the same colour composition on both my laptop and desktop with one easy step.

In order to show how this works, I have taken one of John's screenshots (Valdez 4K-5) -  I hope you don't mind Sir.:)

I then created a LUT from it using Reshade mediator  (this is an old version of reshade but it allows one to easily work offline and create a LUT from a jpg, png, bmp etc.). I am running Sweetfx on FSX dx10 and I then imported the LUT to set colours (turning off all other shaders).

I'm sorry that I don't have the Valdez scenery yet & couldn't reproduce the actual screenshot in this discussion so I used an ocean capture from PNW. I think the following screen capture shows the colour compositon contained in Johns picture quite nicely.

If there is any interest I could put together a little outline of the few steps required to do this.

Best regards
Renault

PS - I really liked the colour set up from doing this  & its now my new LUT :):)

JVValdez4K-5ColorLUTtable.jpg

On 10/23/2016 at 7:44 AM, Jack Sawyer said:

Thanks for this post guys.  This has been quite an eye-opener for me and a lot of learning too.  

+1 - Thanks for all the great info mates !! .

Cheers

John

Archived