Kiel and beyond

bernd1151

I did this flight yesterday and when I wanted to publish my trip today I just noticed that Karsten had partly covered a similar area of GEN. But as I do it from a different angle I hope that Karsten does not mind.

Our little trip starts in Kiel, an East Sea port and home to the German navy since 1848.

1.jpg

One famous navy landmark is the Laboe Naval Memorial (see the red arrow). It was completed in 1937 and should memorialize the Great War dead of the German Imperial Naval Forces. In 1954 it was rededicated to commemorate sailors of all nationalities, who died during World Wars.

2.jpg

A hall of remembrance and WWII German U-boat are located at the foot of the monument. This U-995 is the world’s only remaining Type VII U-boat

3.jpg

This U-boat is not part of GEN, but a separate add-on

4.jpg

On our travel further east, we are lucky to encounter a Tall Ship race (part of the Hendrik Nielsen ship package)

5.jpg

The first ship we pass is the famous American “Eagle”

6.jpg

7.jpg

8.jpg

As we plan to fly further east, we will penetrate deep into former Prussian territory, so I thought that my Waco should carry a Prussian livery

8a.jpg

The next highlight are the white cliffs of…no, not Dover, but Rügen, made famous first in 1818 by painter Caspar David Friedrich

95ae1f.jpg

10.jpg

Still over Rügen we swing around a bit

11.jpg

and come to a fairly huge train terminal, which served as main freight hub between Northern Germany and Sweden since 1891

1242359.jpg

13.jpg

While traveling further east, I just couldn’t believe my eyes, when I spotted THIS:

14.jpg

PRORA. A colossal beach resort structure on the island of Rügen, built by the Nazis between 1936 and 1939

15.jpg

Prora was envisioned by the Nazis as a parallel to “Butlins”, British holiday camps designed to provide affordable holidays for the average worker.

16.jpg

Eight identical housing blocks, a theatre, indoor swimming pools and a huge festival hall were designed to offer accommodation for some 20,000 people.

17.jpg

The whole construction has a length of 4.5 kilometers and won an award in 1937 at the Paris World Exhibition. Only from higher up in the air one can see the true size of this colossus

18.jpg

Still further east we would reach Peenemünde, made (in)famous by the V rockets, developed by Wernher von Braun and his colleagues. But as this area has already been covered by Karsten, I’ll stop here

19.jpg

Archived