Touring Hamburg harbour

bernd1151

Hamburg is a beautiful city and its busy harbour area is always worth a visit, especially by plane. Today we had a larger group of tourists to accommodate, so we decided to use the An-2 for this trip.

We take off from Hamburg-Fuhlsbüttel, the oldest airport of Germany.

1c6695.jpg

After a few minutes we pass by the TV tower and head straight for the “Speicherstadt” (city of warehouses)

20272d.jpg

Constructed from 1883 to 1927 the Speicherstadt was used as a free zone to ship goods without paying custom duties. All buildings here still today stand on timber piles made from oak. It’s the largest warehouse complex in the world using such a foundation. In July 2015 it was awarded the status of an UNESCO World Heritage Site

3.jpg

Hamburg is frequently visited by ships of the Cunard line. In case you wonder, that huge building at the very beginning of the Speicherstadt (if you come from the north) is a concert hall called “Elbphilharmonie” and presently under construction. It was supposed to be finished by 2010. Well…

4.jpg

One of the attractions to any harbor is of course the number of ships, large and small

5.jpg

6.jpg

7.jpg

8.jpg

Traveling along the river Elbe further north we will find the large Airbus construction site in Finkenwerder

10796ab.jpg

Most of the buildings here seem to be generic ones

11.jpg

So we decide to go deeper into the harbour instead

12.jpg

Usually this part brims with an infinite number of large container ships

13.jpg

At the end we can see the famous cable-stayed “Köhlbrand Bridge”. It was opened to the public in autumn 1974

14.jpg

15.jpg

16.jpg

I hope you enjoyed this little trip. And oh, I forgot to mention: for you my friends it was of course free of charge ;);)

Thank you all very much for your kind comments

3 hours ago, Jack Sawyer said:

EDIT: BTW, were these ships in GEN or are they add-on, that world of ships add-on or something?

Hi Jack, these nice ships are part of the freeware AI ship add-on by Henrik Nielsen. They (and many more) were made by Manfred Siedler

17 hours ago, Stillwater said:

PS: Did you make the Köhlbrand bridge and just forgot to post evidence?

No Gerold, I didn't. I thought it's part of GEN

10 hours ago, BradB said:

PayPal is easy to set up Bernd , hopefully you will have a senior discount available for us old farts . :o:P:lol:

1 hour ago, KVSandleben said:

The DFS would like to have word with you. ;)

:):)

Archived