Hong Kong to Almaty, part 1

bernd1151

We will not use the modern Chek Lap Kok airport, but my favorite Kai Tak. Although the Tu-114 is huge, among the modern heavies, its size looks modest

1.jpg

1a.jpg

Originally I planned to fly to Almaty directly, but then I had second thoughts and decided to make a stop-over in Bhutan

1b.jpg

1c.jpg

The Tupolev has an amazing cruising speed of around 400 knots

2.jpg

Flying over Hong Kong is always a feast

3.jpg

4.jpg

Deep in Southern China, we pass Laibin

5.jpg

Below us is Tezpur in Assam, India, favored for its tea and picturesque landscape

6.jpg

The Himalaya comes finally into sight

7.jpg

And now the interesting part starts: landing this beast in Paro, Bhutan

8.jpg

Paro Airport is 1.5 miles above sea level and surrounded by deep valleys and sharp peaks of up to 18,000ft tall

9.jpg

With a runway just 6,500 ft long, Paro is considered one of the world’s most difficult airports for takeoffs and landings. The approach is fairly complicated and can only be flown visually with no sight of the runway until the last moment

10.jpg

11.jpg

12.jpg

Planes have to weave through dozens of houses that are scattered across the mountainside - coming within feet of clipping the roofs.

13.jpg

14.jpg

15.jpg

16.jpg

As usual, the airstairs are too short for the Tupolev

17.jpg

And tomorrow we’ll have another challenge: getting out of Paro again ;)

Absolutely magnificent, Bernd! I love this sort of post - great plane, interesting locations and splendid screenies. I shall have to investigate this aircraft - not made about big passenger planes generally but this looks great. We did a package tour around the 'stans in the 1980s, all by air, and that plane reminds me of that.

I'll be following this journey with interest, thank you.

1 hour ago, andy1252 said:

Absolutely magnificent, Bernd! I love this sort of post - great plane, interesting locations and splendid screenies. I shall have to investigate this aircraft - not made about big passenger planes generally but this looks great. We did a package tour around the 'stans in the 1980s, all by air, and that plane reminds me of that.

I can't agree more!

1 hour ago, andy1252 said:

+1 all the way! :)

Excellent story and flight Bernd.

What an incredible looking plane the Tu-114 is and a great feat of airmanship to land it at Paro.

Kai Tak is one of my favourite places to visit with a very exciting landing I have yet to try landing at Paro though.

Grand flight, I have happy memories of Kai Tak as I lived directly under the flight path in Kowloon Tong, the aircraft used to turn a right hand dog leg and the beacon was just behind my flat, we could stand on the balcony and look down on the pilots as they passed

Thank you very much my friends. I am glad that you like them. The second part will follow shortly

5 hours ago, hkterry said:

It is glad to see my home (Hong Kong) in your shots.  Thank you.

1 hour ago, Taph said:

Grand flight, I have happy memories of Kai Tak as I lived directly under the flight path in Kowloon Tong, the aircraft used to turn a right hand dog leg and the beacon was just behind my flat, we could stand on the balcony and look down on the pilots as they passed

Hong Kong is a very busy and beautiful city. I think that I have at least 80 landings in Kai Tak as passenger under my ancient belt. One thing that my wife and I miss most now is the huge variety of superb Chinese food in Hong Kong. It's the best in the world. We both loved those small food stalls.

Nice. Which version of the Tu-114 do you use? Did you have any issues by installing this bird into P3D? Because: this is one thing I miss with P3D, in FSX, I had a nice series of older russian birds, like the Tu-134, the Tu-154, the Tu-114 etc, now all missing. Would be nice if this bird works flawlessly in P3Dv3...

Thanks a lot, gents, very much appreciated

54 minutes ago, AnkH said:

Nice. Which version of the Tu-114 do you use? Did you have any issues by installing this bird into P3D? Because: this is one thing I miss with P3D, in FSX, I had a nice series of older russian birds, like the Tu-134, the Tu-154, the Tu-114 etc, now all missing. Would be nice if this bird works flawlessly in P3Dv3...

Unfortunately I don't have (yet) v3.3 installed, I still use v2.5. Luckily almost all my FS9/FSX birds also work here. My Tu-114 is the old Samdim version, that was originally designed for FS9, also the Tu-154 works quite well. At least in theory, what works in 2.5 should basically also work in 3.3, but of course I can be wrong  

On 21.6.2016 at 3:54 AM, gumbypickett said:

Magnificent set, the first shot I had to look several times

to see if it was real. What traffic pack do you use?

cheers

Gumby

Hi Gumby, 

the planes are part of the Fly Tampa Kai Tak scenery. They are stationary, but they look great, as Kai Tak was always very busy. The only thing I don't like about it is that Fly Tampa only put 747s there  

Bernd

Archived