4 ways to take down illegal drones

Mikelab6

Interesting.  I like the net firing drone.  For legitimate drone pilots there shouldn't be too many dangers in this, but it gives police and military, not to mention aviation and firefighting authorities the means to quickly disable rogue drones, such as ones that shut down wildfire helicopters etc.

I note that the UK CAA is now giving courses on common sense which is a far more practical way of dealing with a problem like this.

Failing that, I would revert to Noel's solution. If they didn't get them back, they would soon learn where not to fly them through word of mouth.

With all due respect to the OP, this is a prime example of designing a solution for a problem that shouldn't be a problem. I put this in the same category as blister packaging. If you have ever tried to open one, you would know what I mean.

Or we will get into a situation where engine manufacturers are required to deliberately test ingesting drones as well as frozen turkeys. And these startups will make millions out of desperate law enforcement agencies.

What is a Rouge Drone?

Is it a problem for just you or one that is a REAL threat to public safety?

The only problem that I see is that there is no death penalty for being a complete and total idiot.

8 hours ago, Hobnobs said:

I note that the UK CAA is now giving courses on common sense which is a far more practical way of dealing with a problem like this.

Sadly I have come to observe that at least 1/3 of any population has no common sense, or put another way are complete self serving idiots. Those types are the lead stories to every newscast on my nightly news.  Let me walk across the six lane road while texting, let me walk across sensitive geyser habitat in Yellowstone Nat'l Park even while reading the posted signs to do otherwise, let me drive my car at 120km/hr while drunk down and city street and blow throw intersections...no need to continue.

Then another 1/3 are average common sense, so occasionally make mistakes, poor judgement for a moment.

Then another 1/3 are like me, perfect in every way....lol.

cheers

Bryan

2 minutes ago, fltsimguy said:

Sadly I have come to observe that at least 1/3 of any population has no common sense, or put another way are complete self serving idiots. Those types are the lead stories to every newscast on my nightly news.  Let me walk across the six lane road while texting, let me walk across sensitive geyser habitat in Yellowstone Nat'l Park even while reading the posted signs to do otherwise, let me drive my car at 120km/hr while drunk down and city street and blow throw intersections...no need to continue.

Then another 1/3 are average common sense, so occasionally make mistakes, poor judgement for a moment.

Then another 1/3 are like me, perfect in every way....lol.

cheers

Bryan

I hear where you are coming from and where some people are concerned you are of course correct.  Before the world gave us health and safety, natural selection would sort out the idiots and eliminate them from the gene pool. Oh wait, I'm not allowed to say that anymore because of political correctness.

Oh well, Noel's shotgun it is then.

Don't get me started on blister packaging Dean.  There's a special place in hell for those who designed them and use them.

You need a half pound of C4 and a jack hammer to open many of them.

I think most of the illegal/irresponsible drone pilots got their education wearing helmets on the sort school bus and licking the back window.

Noel

On ‎5‎/‎23‎/‎2016 at 2:40 AM, Hobnobs said:

I put this in the same category as blister packaging. If you have ever tried to open one, you would know what I mean.

How about an anti-drone device that fires blister packaging? Seems to me that would meet all the needs expressed above.

My suggestion is to develop a HERF transmitter that could be set for a given distance, providing a hemisphere around a ground-based house or whatever that would instantly cause the drone engine and electronic tether to the operator to quit. I see it as an electronic No Trespassing fence that would require only that a notice be given to the local newspaper and police.

Its not the "idiots" I'm worried about so much as the ones who want to intentionally cause disruption, even harm. How about this scenario: you buy a house in the middle of 50 acres of woodland for privacy. Of course, you have to clear some trees from immediately around the house for sun, and to protect it. Then the neighbor's kid gets a drone for his birthday and decides that it would be fun to park it outside your 12-year old daughter's bedroom window with a hi-def, low light camera. Privacy gone! The shotgun is in the closet for safety reasons and your daughter is traumatized for life. With the electronic HERF fence, the drone would never get near the place.

It's sad that people with good sense and legitimate uses for drones might have to be penalized for the bad, reckless, even dangerous behavior of others but that's the world we live in. So the HERF Fence can act as a sort of restraining order. Then, anyone who defeats the fence gets his/her drone shot or netted out of the sky. The one thing that needs to be addressed is the law which will have to be revised to allow the destruction of invaders without penalty. No Trespassing means No Trespassing and we should have the same right to defend our property and privacy as against a ground invader.

Okay...rant is over.

With all this talk about rogue drone pilots I wonder when they are going to organize and form the NDA (National Drone Association).  "You can take my drone when you pry my cold, dead, fingers off the joystick."

Noel

Interesting to look at this and they are becoming a problem in the wrong hands.

I have seen some wonderful drone footage which makes me think this is a bit like Pit Bulls.

Not so much the dog but the owner ( still think they are a bloody stupid looking dog, although I would not tell one to its face!):lol:

Yes Martyn.  Unlike RC modelers who build beautiful planes; learn how to fly them; and fly them in designated places (like the old airport here in Roswell) drones are relatively cheap, already assembled, and too easy to fly.  That means a ready market of irresponsible people who want to make nuisances of themselves.

I look at those cheap drones you can buy at Wal-Mart and are flown over the neighbor's back yard or picnickers in the park as the graffiti of the sky like FelxFlier's example.

On ‎5‎/‎24‎/‎2016 at 3:46 PM, FlexFlier said:

Then the neighbor's kid gets a drone for his birthday and decides that it would be fun to park it outside your 12-year old daughter's bedroom window with a hi-def, low light camera.

Noel

Archived