Real World PIC Shots into ORBX Freeware

Hi Folks,

Some may find this of interest since you guys work so hard making incredible airports for us to use... If there's interest - I'll try to add to this as I go... I've been to a few of your projects in real life... Anyone else care to add - please feel free...

Since I believe KIWI is a fairly new one - and - there is a payware project being worked in this area as well...

Short Final - KIWI - Wiscasset Airport - ME

KIWI-1_zpsszh9rgmg.jpg

Short Final - KACK - Nantucket Memorial Airport - MA

DSC01332.jpg

Short Final - KLCI - Laconia Airport - NH

DSC05367_zps7036ccd2.jpg

Short Final - KBID - Block Island State Airport  - RI

KBID-1_zpsiqvb2ldx.jpg

Regards,

Scott

Great shots; if it is not too time consuming, perhaps you could post "Orbx" shots beside the real world one's for those of us who do not have the particular Orbx scenery?  Might be persuasive in getting us to buy some North American scenery.

Hi Folks,

Appreciate the feedback - I just do the flying - my wife takes all the pix... Unfortunately - it has to be on super smooth days as she gets air sick very easily - I jokingly call her "8 Mile Jackie" - as that's about as far as I get from the airport some days before I have to turn back... She's a trooper though and fully supportive of my insane/expensive hobby...

:)

Hi Bassman,

Like your idea - let me see what I can put together this weekend... I'm in the Northeast USA which has been pretty much ignored by ORBX payware - - - ( until now - woohoo !!! ) - - - Alex is working on one in my favorite state - KBHB - which I'm sure will capture the essence of Maine - I can almost smell the pine trees now... I plan to take a trip up there this summer so I can get some pictures of the real deal... About a three hour flight - depending on winds - from my home drome... 

Regards,
Scott

Hi Folks,

Yep - concur - great job Thorsten - personally I love seeing approach pictures to airports in regions I probably won't have an opportunity to fly into... Great comparison shot...

Regards,

Scott

Hi Folks,

Thanks Sidler - big help...

:)

Did you modify the approach end to 25 ? Last I looked - I remember thinking the trees were way too close to 25 - looks like you have an autogen killing tan ground poly in the same spot ? I'll have to check again... I wonder if the new NA LC pack will have the area around the airport far more sparsely populated...

Question - should I include a few more shots of each airport I have with approach/ground pix - or - just keep it to short final shots ?

Again - hoping other pilots join in if they have some PIX to share...

Regards,
Scott

Hi Guys,

Thanks Scott for all these real world photos and I'm glad folks are enjoying my airport revisions.  To see how close they were I did screenshots of the FSX versions in close to the point of the real world ones, see below.

I'm already finished with Pack 26 but need to wait until June to send them in.

Cheers, Neil

KIWI.jpg

KLCI.jpg

KBID.jpg

KACK.jpg

Hi Folks,

Thanks for the responses...

Hi Neil,

Thanks for the countless hours of work - by you and the freeware team - updating airports for others to enjoy - really appreciate it - makes the purchase of Global well worth the cost... I can't fly into unimproved airports anymore - fortunately - there are so many improved airports it never seems to be an issue... Greatly appreciated - gents...

Hi John,

Some mighty fine shots the as well - looks like you had a bit of a breezy day out there - noted the crab angle and windsock... Pretty wet too...

Regards,

Scott

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

Question - should I include a few more shots of each airport I have with approach/ground pix - or - just keep it to short final shots ?

Regards,

Scott

Personally I would like just short finals for easier comparison (To start with anyway ; )

Kind Regards

Simon

15 hours ago, scottb613 said:

should I include a few more shots of each airport I have with approach/ground pix - or - just keep it to short final shots ?

The more the better as far as you have the time ;) Amazing pictures everyone!

Greetings,

Bermuda

Hi Folks,

Again - thanks for the feedback... Nice shots there Michael - winter flying to boot... I wish it was a bit simpler to hop across the border for a burger... The Canadian government is very reasonable from what I've heard - the US government is a bit of a PITA... GA Air Travel - the only mode of transportation that requires permission from the government - to leave the country... I know a guy who did a solo flight in a C172 up to Schefferville from CT in the US... LOL - talk about the boondocks - pretty remote - hence the attraction I guess... It's in the Freeware package as well - I may have to recreate that flight - in P3D...

Hah Bassman - it smells like victory !

Regards,
Scott 

43 minutes ago, scottb613 said:

I wish it was a bit simpler to hop across the border for a burger... The Canadian government is very reasonable from what I've heard - the US government is a bit of a PITA.

There are a lot of ducks you have to get in a row (CanPass, eAPIS, Customs decal, CFPS and DUATS flight-plans, etc.), but if you make copious amounts of notes telling you what to do and when to do it, it's manageable. My wife and I are planning a flight down to New England this weekend (Port of Entry will be Bangor), but right now it's the weather that looks like it may scuttle our plans. If we do make it, I'll try and remember to have my wife take a picture when we're on final at KBGR so I can add it to this thread!

21 minutes ago, larryisenor said:

If only I had those photos when designing the airports

I have final approach photos of the following airports if your team is planning on designing any of them:

CCQ3 (Debert)

CCW4 (Stanley)

CYSU (Summerside)

KFMY (Page)

KLNA (Palm Beach County Park)

Probably will do the 3 Canadian airports at some point. If you send the photos by PM or post on the enhanced airport requests that will probably encourage them sooner rather than later. Perhaps Neil will reply regarding the US airports as he usually does those.

Larry

Hi Folks,

While much prettier in the summer - heavy smog layer as well - may I present the Telluride of the east coast - highest public airport east of the Mississippi... I'll tell ya - a 4,600 foot pattern - to a mountain top airport - feels pretty strange to us flat landers... Kinda fun visit too - there was an old timer who had been running the airport forever - almost expected to see a "still" out back - treats CTAF like he is the control tower talking to everyone on approach - about the only thing he didn't say was "cleared to land"... Real nice guy - gave us the grand tour with plenty of stories to boot - spent a few hours there shooting the breeze with him and sipping sweet tea... Gotta love aviation...

Approach - KHSP - Ingalls Field - VA

KHSP-1_zpsfwdhwwa9.jpg

Short Final - KHSP - Ingalls Field - VA

KHSP-2_zpsjeb7tis2.jpg

Regards,
Scott

On 5/4/2016 at 7:20 PM, larryisenor said:

If you send the photos by PM or post on the enhanced airport requests that will probably encourage them sooner rather than later.

Larry,

I've posted a few here:

Let me know if you need any photos of hangar details, airport overviews, etc. and I'll get those to you as well.

4 hours ago, Michael Copp said:

Larry,

I've posted a few here:

Let me know if you need any photos of hangar details, airport overviews, etc. and I'll get those to you as well.

Thanks They help with the general look of the airport. As we are using hangers that are Orbx library objects I try to match them as close as possible with the size from air photos so I should be OK. I like the cones at Stanley - a detail that is missed without a photo. Thanks I'll put them on the list and try to do some after the current pack is done.

Larry

• 5 weeks later...

Hi Bermuda,

Thanks for the response - yep - blackest runway I ever recall landing on... The scary part was all the white specks on the ramp - when you look closer - they're the shells from clams - the seagulls figured out to drop them from up high to smash them on the tarmac - kinda makes you wonder how many planes get hit...

Regards,

Scott

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

• 3 months later...
59 minutes ago, Sniper31 said:

always amazes me how it looks like the prop goes one direction, and then all of a sudden, the prop goes in the opposite direction.

Also, it kind of makes it look like we have one of those Fancy Schmancy scimitar props, when in reality we just have a basic two-blade deal...

Archived