The longest possible day...

Stillwater

... in my personal history started in Launceston on a Saturday morning, leaving the hotel at 07:00. After a coffee with a friend at YMLT
take-off was 08:40 hrs local time.

2016-3-26_17-45Launy.jpg
2016-3-26_17-46.jpg

Did I ever mention Lainceston airport has changed significantly since Orbx created the epic freeware?

2016-3-26_17-47.jpg

Leaving Tassie behind...

2016-3-26_18-4NETassie.jpg
2016-3-26_18-5.jpg

Stopover in a rainy Melbourne. I have to admit the real flight was a 787, but as she is lacking a good representation in the sim, the
777 was my choice.

2016-3-28_12-19.jpg
2016-3-28_12-20YMML.jpg
2016-3-28_12-21.jpg
2016-3-28_12-42YMML16.jpg
2016-3-28_12-43Melbourne.jpg
2016-3-28_12-44-17-111.jpg

Adding a bit more realism, I followed the correct flight plan. Nice to know the alternate airports on the way, as well as the ETOPS
turning points. And good to know that Tim & Ken have already upgraded the Alternate which is nearly halfway...

2016-3-28_12-44.jpg

Greeting Sydney... 

2016-3-28_13-14Sydney.jpg

... and waving goodbye to OZ, at around 14:15 h local time.

2016-3-28_13-18leavingOZ.jpg

Which means you head into the night soon after.

2016-3-28_14-10-30-919.jpg

Here we find ourselves just about 200 mls out of Pago Pago. Now that is just a short hop!

2016-3-28_15-40PagoPago.jpg

Still 4000 mls to go...

2016-3-28_15-41.jpg

Changing the hemispheres, for me this means from down under to upside up.

2016-3-28_16-23Equator.jpg

Let´s summarize this view: In India it is still daytime, Saturday. In Brazil it is already daytime, also Saturday. And we are in the middle of the
night. Good to repeat and realize this craziness in the sim...

2016-3-28_16-24.jpg

Good morning! The real wind (compare with the routing map above, it matches!) makes us gain lots of time on this route.

2016-3-28_17-16realwind.jpg

Get up folks. I think I may post this blurry picture here with the impression of the 787´s mood light. A great plane, but stay away from
the noisy galleys!

2016-3-28_18-15.jpg

Here we are, well prepared for the lovely approach into Los Angeles, with Catalina Island ahead.

2016-3-28_18-16StaCatalina.jpg
2016-3-28_18-17StaCatalina.jpg

DX10 has given a lot to FSX...

2016-3-28_18-29FSXDX10.jpg

... as well as Orbx SoCal.

2016-3-28_18-30SoCal.jpg

Ready for final, and into full brakes.

2016-3-28_18-42KLAX.jpg
2016-3-28_18-43KLAX.jpg
2016-3-28_18-44KLAX25R.jpg
2016-3-28_18-45KLAX.jpg

Here we are. After 22 hrs of travel, started on Saturday morning, we have now arrived ... on the same Saturday morning.

2016-3-28_18-47.jpg

And when you see the lovely breakfast in United´s business longe, you know you have arrived in the USA.

2016-3-28_18-48.jpg

A long day makes a long post. I can not apologize for 31 pictures selected...

Gerold another epic FS/RL post which I thoroughly enjoyed looking at.

A very long day indeed.

Just love the Dreamliner, a magnificent looking plane but not noisy enough

Yet to travel on a 787, Jetstar are using them to BKK but I will stick to SQ later this year even if it is more expensive. You do get what you pay for.

Some one at work came back fromk BKK  by Jetstar last week. $15AU for a party pie, sausage roll and a fizzy drink and then had to buy the famous noodles. Drink as much water as you like but you need your own bottle. Not for this black duck!

Gerold your post is whetting my appetite for our trip to NZ and AU next February . We fly the 787 into Auckland and 

return home out of Sydney to LAX on the A380 . We plan a stop in Tassie , so we plan on having lunch at the 

Stillwater Cafe . We also have a day planned with Martyn and his wife in Melbourne . 

Cheers

John

12 hours ago, VH-KDK said:

Gerold another epic FS/RL post which I thoroughly enjoyed looking at.

A very long day indeed.

Just love the Dreamliner, a magnificent looking plane but not noisy enough

Yet to travel on a 787, Jetstar are using them to BKK but I will stick to SQ later this year even if it is more expensive. You do get what you pay for.

Some one at work came back fromk BKK  by Jetstar last week. $15AU for a party pie, sausage roll and a fizzy drink and then had to buy the famous noodles. Drink as much water as you like but you need your own bottle. Not for this black duck!

Indeed in most times you get what you pay for, so I would also prioritize the SQ service higher than a fancy new plane.

You are right the 787 is not noisy enough. Means you get constantly disturbed by passengers and crew. For sleeping the 707 would be much better.

I always recommend to have a bottle of water in hands when boarding a no-service airline. At least this helps for your described dilemma. Or during turbulences. Or a long night flight.

12 hours ago, Voyager said:

Wonderful trip chronicled and documented (by screenshots) from the point of view of a simmer who understand the business.

I quite liked the whole stuff here posted.

Voyager

In my view, trying to understand the flight adds to the pleasure - both in RL and in the replication. Great to see how the flight planning was done for this challenging distance.

11 hours ago, gumbypickett said:

Simply one of the best 5min International trips I have taken in recent times. That was in depth from start to finish.

I very much enjoyed it. Well done(:

cheers

Gumby

It was my pleasure to take you away from your beautiful home town.

8 hours ago, RJ said:

Another one of these fantastic virtual/real shots! Loved them!    :-)

This time it was hard work, as I had a middle (aisle) seat on the red-eye segment. And obviously getting as much sleep as possible was the main task.

8 hours ago, rick66 said:

Fantastic comparison, lets hope we see the QW 787 very soon so it will fill the gap.

Cheers

Absolutely, I will have an eye on this. Though I have outgrown their 757 into a PMDG-flyer, so I am not sure if they can still focus on "complexity simplified" (which was fitting to my skills some years ago) of if they would develop together with customers like me.

7 hours ago, BradB said:

Gerold your post is whetting my appetite for our trip to NZ and AU next February . We fly the 787 into Auckland and 

return home out of Sydney to LAX on the A380 . We plan a stop in Tassie , so we plan on having lunch at the 

Stillwater Cafe . We also have a day planned with Martyn and his wife in Melbourne . 

Cheers

John

That sounds like a dream of a plan, John. Not only the flying & the planes, even more the countries - and the details.

Meeting virtual friends from this forum adds a new dimension (I had close miss with Ripcord in Houston, trials to be continued) - we should make a posting topic out of this.

And you will surely not be disappointed with my namegiving restaurant. OK, maybe if you pay the bill (let wifey do that).

7 hours ago, adambar said:

Super combination of shots Gerold, great job!!

Thank you Adam, for rewarding that "work"!

3 hours ago, andy1252 said:

Wow! fascinating stuff and some great shots. But you'll never get me up in one of those again unless I can have a private jet and a limo straight onto the taxiway to board (but hey - I can do that here!)

That is the price you have to pay if you want to compare the Sim with RL... well, I had some business on that trip, too, so this wasn´t the entire sense.

Unfortunately I had to walk on & off the planes, no limo for me.

15 hours ago, ryanbatc said:

Great post... not sure how I missed it!

Those baby carrots are pretty good I buy them at Sam's club all the time lol

Indeed the carrots are ok. But quite a basic breakfast after hours of flying and immigration...

On 20.4.2016 at 3:02 PM, Bermuda425 said:

Gangbuster post! Every shot and word was absolutely at its place. Thanks for this escape from daily routine.

Greetings,

Bermuda

8 hours ago, dolf8857 said:

Fantastic compilation again with terrific shots Gerold!

Thank you, Bermuda & Dolf, for you motivating compliments. I also enjoyed to make the compilation (though it makes me remember a tough red-eye flight...)

Archived