Orbx - FTX: PI AYPY Jacksons International Airport not installing

jock

I have been trying for nearly a week to get this addon to install properly.

I have very carefully followed every required step, but I come up against the stupid request to insert a disk.

The program is a download, so there isn't a disk of course.

I read somewhere here that another link will be sent to circumvent this blockage.

I would be delighted to receive such a link, since I am beyond annoyed at the apparent waste of my money.

I have installed a fair number of items from Flightsim Store before, but this one eludes me.

Jacksons Airport has mysteriously appeared, but not one of the bush strips is to be found either in the Flight Planner list of airports or in Plan-G, with the data updated twice.

I have (honestly) gone through all the motions as instructed and required, but without success.

I am beginning to despair now, and I don't want to become a dissatisfied customer, since I love the Orbx products.

Someone please aim me in the right direction.

Jock

Hi Jock,

It seems that the request for a Disk may show a corrupt download of AYPY.   I'm assuming you have redownloaded the scenery from the Flightsim Store?  I just changed from N America to Global in FTXCentral and went to Kakoda airstrip (listed in the Go To Airport menu) and it looks fine.  The other small strips are not listed, as intended, and you'll need to use the maps included in the User's Guide to help locate them.

What file size is your download for AYPY?   Mine shows  10/31/2014 8:24 AM  524,145 KB

Hope you get it sorted out. It's a great scenery package.

Hi Holger,

Thank you very much for your two replies.

My latest download size today (yet another download !) is  526 303 430, which tops yours .

Probably this is a silly question but how do you set up a flight in the Flight Planner if the airstrips don't appear?

I've just tried to install this latest download and once again been asked to insert a disk. There's an "unknown decompression error #2029"

I don't think I'll ever get this package up and going. I'm really fed up now.

Jock

Hi Holger,

Thank you very much for your two replies.

My latest download size today (yet another download !) is  526 303 430, which tops yours .

Probably this is a silly question but how do you set up a flight in the Flight Planner if the airstrips don't appear?

I've just tried to install this latest download and once again been asked to insert a disk. There's an "unknown decompression error #2029"

I don't think I'll ever get this package up and going. I'm really fed up now.

Jock

- Three steps : Read closely what Holger pointed to ; Clear your cache ; Use a 3rd party download manager, not your browser (specially not Chrome). Hundred of people have installed this wonderful package without a hitch. You will too.

For a download manager :

http://www.orbxsystems.com/forum/topic/82288-corrupt-download-cant-unzip-please-read-here/

- About finding the strips in the boondocks, do a forum research, there were several threads on the topic. I don't have the references with me right now.

Thanks for your reply, Dominique.

I use DAP for downloads. Seems to work with everything else, so probably not the problem.

I use 7-zip for extracting downloaded files, and I've had no problems with that.

I had already seen the link Holger gave me, and I've reread it.

I don't ever click the Finish button before the correct time.

I'm puzzled by the fact that, in spite of the demands for a disk and error warnings, Jacksons airport is installed - maybe the strips are there as well but are keeping a low profile.

I'll take your advice and do a forum search. I must admit to having no luck with the Google earth "map" file which I downloaded. I admit to not knowing what to do with it (it's a text file).

Jock

G'day Jock,

Just checking that you've followed Point #2 from Holger's link: 

Always ensure that you have extracted the full contents of the downloaded zip file before running the wrapper. 

Many people get caught out with the same problem you have by not copying/extracting all the files within the downloaded zip to another folder before running the installer. 

Cheers,

Jarrad

Just noticed this,

I always use a download manager, I have IDM, I believe they have a free trial, it's not expensive and enables me to download at 4 to 6 times faster.

Don't forget to grab the freeware add on for Emo Mission, that's an airstrip not a mission.

Finding the smaller strips is easier to start from Kokoda, the Kokoda track is included in the scenery and you will find the Isurava memorial with a helipad along this track, there are several small villages along this track before reaching Kagi, the track runs into and out of Kagi, before heading to Efogi. These 2 strips are right in the middle of the area the smaller strips are located, use the mud map included in the user guide for finding the others, there all very close.

If you do a search for AYPY on you tube there are several which will also help with finding the strips.

Remember that these strips are in a very mountainous location and often poor weather makes them hard to find, maybe set weather to fair for your 1st attempt and use a suitable aircraft.

Cheers Ken

Thanks for your reply, Dominique.

Jacksons airport is installed - maybe the strips are there as well but are keeping a low profile.

The strips are not listed by the sim data base as they are not  airfields as such. Kokoda AYKO should be though. Is it here ?

I know this probably will not help., but I have never had this problem in years of using Orbx addons. I download the files with IDM, on completion I extract the files to a new folder on my desktop (named accordingly) this ensures every part of the DL goes to the same place. I then run the installer and if (this happens rarely) I get asked for page 2 or 3 or whatever I simply point to the item within the new folder.. works for me every time.. Teecee.

Thank you all for your helpful input.

I now find that, although Jacksons appears to be installed in full, when I click on it in FTX Central I'm told that the user's Manual is not there, suggesting an incomplete installation.

By the way, Kokoda seems to be there, with huts and fire and people (albeit dressed in rather "western" garb).

I'll just have to try a new download, though I can't see what else I can do other than what I have already done. But I WILL try.

Watch this space!

Jock

If Jaksons and Kokoda are there the the others most likely are there as well, but you won't see them in the airport list or on your gps you need to fly to them, navigation can be difficult.

Tim and I will be upgrading and adding start points for all the strips, but have a go for now, there is a real satisfaction in finding them

Cheers

Ken

If Jaksons and Kokoda are there the the others most likely are there as well, but you won't see them in the airport list or on your gps you need to fly to them, navigation can be difficult.

Tim and I will be upgrading and adding start points for all the strips, but have a go for now, there is a real satisfaction in finding them

Cheers

Ken

+1.  I would add:  find a good STOL aircraft to do the searching.  I flew the Pilatus Porter--exciting is to say the least.

Hi Jock, sounds like the lads have sorted out the installer issue

As for finding the 10 strips ("The Jungles" they call them) this thread will help http://www.orbxsystems.com/forum/topic/80975-aypy-finding-the-bush-strips/

They are actually very easy to find and are grouped together quite tightly, so once you find the first one, the rest will also be there

There is also a bonus freeware bushstrip called 'Emo mission' you can grab from the freeware section of the FTX Website, plus a freeware terrain mesh for Papua New Guinea if you dont have an existing mesh

If you have any further questions at all, myself or Ken Hall are more than happy to assist

Success at last, thanks to all the great advice from so many people.

Thank you all very much for your help. I'm so glad I've got this superb package installed at long last.

I've chucked the Maule at a few of the strips already. Maybe I shall do a decent landing or two in future.

Thank you all once again.

Jock

Archived