Intel Skylake i7-6700K is out

Mikelab6

5 years a go my cpu was a i7 920...now i have an i7 4790k...it was a huge difference and a very very nice surprise in my sim.

I'll wait for the next 5 years to find the same happiness...

It's only 5% better than the i7-4790K, but for me it will be a huge difference from my i5-750.  I am looking at it seriously now.. I will wait few weeks to see new motherboards and more feedbacks about this.

For i7-4770K / 4790K owners, it's a no go....but if someone need to buy a new cpu, I tink the i7-6700K is better over the i7-4790K. The new Z170 MB is better (more PCIe to connect PCIe SSD, DDR4 memory  and more)

One interesting fact is, the new CPU perform better on WIN10 than on WIN8.1

See test results over at Tomshardware : http://www.tomshardware.com/reviews/skylake-intel-core-i7-6700k-core-i5-6600k,4252-5.html

Hi Mike,

That is so coincidental that i was just looking at this last nite.

I was pricing the CPU and top end Asus ROG mobo and 16GB DDR4 3000mhz RAM. I can get the whole lot shebang for under a grand.....I might just do it.

And that gear is already available here in Oz.

Frank

My i7 930. overclocked @ 4.2GHZ has served me really well, but with the Skylake 6700k, Win10 and P3D v2.5 I feel I have waited long enough and now is the time to make my move...

I will be biting the bullet & getting the i7 6700K & asus mobo.

the 6700k is looking very stable with an overclock at 4.6GHZ also cool with Corsair i100 closed loop watercooler (which I already have)

http://www.eurogamer.net/articles/digitalfoundry-2015-intel-skylake-core-i7-6700k-review

I have a 1TB samsung SSD, GTX 970 4gb gpu and a huge Coolermaster Cosmos R case so I have only the mobo & processor to swap out.

Although, I (like many I think) am not quite sure which way to leap...

1/ Win10 or stick with Win 7?.... Got to move on really and go Win10 route if I go P3D I feel...I can see

DX12 being utilised soon.

Although my Win7 is completely stable & if I don't go P3D is their any point? I doubt it...

2/ Do I reinstall my FSX (on disks) with DX10 fixer ?or purchase Steam FSX SE /DX10 fixer and keep the

use of my PMDG birds & a few others? I think migration tool would sort that out though... Or P3D

which looks great, but...is apparently more unstable than a well tuned FSX DX10 due to OOM's?

My instinct is saying stick with FSX & DX10 fixer...which should run really sweet on the new skylake at 4.6ghz with my SSD & GT970, but I am also itching to see P3D & Win10 running with the 6700k overclocked...

Either way I will be purchasing the i7 6700k & mobo in the next week...if available, I will bench mark my results on here, so those who are moving up from i7920/30's or even i7 2600/2700 have an insight into what I am getting with my new setup with Skylake i7 6700k overclocked to 4.5/4.6ghz

If it's of any help, I recently upgraded almost all the hardware in my PC.

Because I intended to upgrade the OS to Windows 10 and did not wish to

re-install twice, although it is not good practice, I simply replaced the

components and started the PC.

To my pleasant surprise, it simply worked.

There were a few open entries in the device manager which were sorted out

by installing the motherboard drivers.

I did have to activate Windows 8.1 due to the new hardware and for some reason

Acceleration asked for its Activation key again, though FSX did not.

If you can get away with the same, you may save hours of work.

If FSX is working well for you, I would stick with that for now.

Good idea Nick, I have been pondering though if my Win7 OEM licence would allow me to just swap out the mobo without MS causing me a problem thinking it was being installed on another pc...and blocking my win7 licence code.

My current setup is running really well, but I get the feeling a new i7 6700k & mobo with 16gb fast ram would just give me a hell of a good ride with FSX DX10

Also I would be fairly well future proofed for any new sim that may or may not come along next year...😕

Having a choice is always good but with FSX / FSX SE / P3D "it feels like the same beans...but in 3 different tins! "...

Wouldn't you have the same problem with any OEM version?

Perhaps it might be better to let the Windows 10 upgrade do its

thing, if it will.

I'm not sure how it would work with 10 but when Windows 8 was on

sale for £24.99, I bought three licences and two of them upgraded

OEM versions of Windows 7 to Windows 8 Pro.

Now the latest upgrade has literally given me Windows 10 Pro.

Wouldn't you have the same problem with any OEM version?

Perhaps it might be better to let the Windows 10 upgrade do its

thing, if it will.

I'm not sure how it would work with 10 but when Windows 8 was on

sale for £24.99, I bought three licences and two of them upgraded

OEM versions of Windows 7 to Windows 8 Pro.

Now the latest upgrade has literally given me Windows 10 Pro.

Will probably give it a go thanks Nick, nothing ventured....

Going to ring the guys at overclockers today and see where they are at with an i7 6700k overclocked asus mobo bundle....

Please elaborate Greg. I'm on the verge of ordering a new PC myself and I'm having doubts between the I7 4970K and I7 6700. The latter attracts me because of the new socket which will make a future processor upgrade possible.

Please elaborate Greg. I'm on the verge of ordering a new PC myself and I'm having doubts between the I7 4970K and I7 6700. The latter attracts me because of the new socket which will make a future processor upgrade possible.

I don't believe in 'future upgrades'. Future CPU's will need future sockets. ;) Unless you tend to upgrade hardware like this every (half) year or so I see no use in taking the future into consideration: simply buy the best you can get NOW! I build a new PC every 3 or 4 years and I have never ever kept some of the main basic PC parts (like motherboard, cpu, memory) in my new PC. To get the most out of a new CPU you usually also need a new motherboard etc.

I don't believe in 'future upgrades'. Future CPU's will need future sockets. ;) Unless you tend to upgrade hardware like this every (half) year or so I see no use in taking the future into consideration: simply buy the best you can get NOW! I build a new PC every 3 or 4 years and I have never ever kept some of the main basic PC parts (like motherboard, cpu, memory) in my new PC. To get the most out of a new CPU you usually also need a new motherboard etc.

I completely agree, Jeroen.

If you are not limited with Motherboard (there is few with Skylake support) then go with 6700k. There is no reason for 4790k. If you have socked 1150 board, then if you do not want invest more, then 4790k is good choice for you. If you build your rig from scretch, 6700 will be fine. But agree with others that new CPUs propably will requere new socket or chipset at least.

I have Z97 board for Haswell CPUs and with Intel 5th gen CPUs - Broadwell support, but... Broadwell is out for... 2 months? and there is 6th generation with new socket...

i bought skylake only because my 5820 rig was fried,i am still waiting on the parts in the mail,there is no reason at all to upgrade from haswell unless you have nothing or want the z170 features.i have been without my flight sim for a month now, i just managed to get through the initial withdraws lol

I think Greg and Brett are right, nothing better than Haswell, the CPU has only 16 PCI lanes , as opposed to 28  on a 5820, or 32 ia a 5860 That limits your SLI throughput. You also need new MB ,

Jorge

i bought skylake only because my 5820 rig was fried,i am still waiting on the parts in the mail,there is no reason at all to upgrade from haswell unless you have nothing or want the z170 features.i have been without my flight sim for a month now, i just managed to get through the initial withdraws lol

Hey Brett....I am happy to report.... my AMD rig is still performing like a champ....unkillable lol :):)

Cheers

Doug

i almost just ordered the 4790k for a new system build,when i added it all up, the skylake and haswell were almost identical.i am ready to go back to purchases addons rather than expensive pc parts.now with the roomers of p3d v3 on air daily x, it makes me not want to install a flight sim at all when my parts arrive.glad to hear your amd is still going strong,i just never had luck with amd for flight simming.if i wasnt into flight and train sims, i would probably own amd and save 1,000 on parts lol.

I think Greg and Brett are right, nothing better than Haswell, the CPU has only 16 PCI lanes , as opposed to 28  on a 5820, or 32 ia a 5860 That limits your SLI throughput. You also need new MB ,

Jorge

what i understand, now i could be wrong,but i have read and watched youtube videos.you have the 16 pci lanes on the 6700k for one 16x videocard, then the z170 chipset itself has its own dedicated pci lanes dedicated for m.2 ssd's.one of the msi motherboards i was going to purchase comes with 2 m.2 4x slots giving you an additional 8 pci lanes, such as the samsung sm951 m.2 that gives you 2200 mbps write and 1500 mbps read,or vise versa,i cant remember at the moment.so any system builders that only want 2 hardrives, you wouldnt even need sata cables anymore.m.2 samsung evo's are really not anymore expensive than the standard ssd's.the 500 gb samsung m.2 is about 200 bucks i believe and has the same read and write speed of a standard ssd,the evo was like 540 write and 480 read.i think in the future sata may go away and all the hardrives will be on the motherboard.or very few external connectors for ssd's and of course server boards would have plenty of connections.all just a thought, but m.2 hardrives are the wave of the future and if you ever held one, its half the width of a credit card and just as flat.i was shocked when i held my sm951 256gb boot m.2.

My tough was PCIe SSDs having high mbps writes and reads, not M2 drive.  M2 is the same performance as SATA but with a diffent connector.  PCIe SSD is the futur...

Hey Brett: Is your PC fried because of a too high overclock ?

My current specs (below) or more then adequate for a few years to come. 5% increase isn't enough for FSX.

In a future Flight Sim down the road a future CPU would have to deliver at least 30% increase for me to invest in it. For now I am at peak performance for FSX for a few more years to come. 

Then there will be Skylake E and so on, with ever more exotic Intel names to entice us in the future :)

From what I hear early Skylake CPU's like these are a great upgrade for guys with old 920's or even 2600/2700K CPU's, but pretty much only that, anyone with greater can rest easy for a while i reckon ... and that's what we've become to expect from intel now, milk us for every penny, Nvidea do it too, so why not they suppose ?

Guys, last year i bought new Haswell E 5960X eight core CPU X99 platform and its a monster CPU, really is, but the whole DDR4 switch and X99 was with some problems not only for FSX but lots, switched from Asus (and will never go back to them) to MSI that just works out of the box for same CPU and chipset and added USB3.1 too ... Happy bunny now, everything works ffor all my Saitek controllers, VR insight too, as well as Thrustmaster gear ... all 12 FIP lcd guages working at last.

As an enthusiast who has used Asus for years ... I really cant recommend them any more, fair enough if you live in the USA, you might get some kinda support, but here in UK with a new X99 motherboard I was stuck, nobody wanted to know, heck even now it is of no surprise to me Asus dont have drivers yet in Win 10 for their excellent Xonar range of sound cards.

On my Haswell E eight core X99  DDR4 platform I've no interest in early Skylake.

I hate the way intel eke out these minor upgrades to us, really do.

5% better... I'll pass. For better performance I have my eyes set on LM and any improvements they may bring to the old code.

You said you'd pass on my 3960x, then my 5960X, what exactly are you waiting for :) good luck on LM and code, the military is still waiting for the F-35 and the partners wont get the software code, ever.

Jorge

Only if you use SLI of course

My tough was PCIe SSDs having high mbps writes and reads, not M2 drive.  M2 is the same performance as SATA but with a diffent connector.  PCIe SSD is the futur...

M2 is far from the  holy grail though

My current specs (below) or more then adequate for a few years to come. 5% increase isn't enough for FSX.

In a future Flight Sim down the road a future CPU would have to deliver at least 30% increase for me to invest in it. For now I am at peak performance for FSX for a few more years to come. 

I agree. IMNSOH, anything less that 15-20% is barely noticeable. Give me 30-50% and I'll seriously consider it.

Doug

Intel 4790K CPU, MSI Z97 Gaming 7 motherboard, Noctua NH-U12S cooler, Corsair Vengeance Pro 16GB 2133 MHz RAM, nVidia GTX 970 GPU, Cooler Master HAF 932 Tower, Thermaltake 1000W Toughpower PSU, Windows 7 Professional 64-Bit, and other stuff:

500GB SSD - Samsung 840

12TB HDD Internal - Western Digital Black

40TB HDD External - Western Digital My Book

2x Asus PA246Q ProArt 24" 1920x1200

4x Plextor PX-891SAW DVD-RW

i just read the 6700k was gonna be delayed in the u.s until the end of this month, and another forum that says the end of september,i cancelled my order and guess i am gonna buy a high end 4790k build again.starting with nothing skylake would have been the way to go

it was hit by lightning,thankfully i had insurance and i am getting a check for the cost of my 5820k rig

You could alway do that Nick ... I'd nevre be happy with that though.

Archived