to recieve or not to recieve- autogen shadows

Ken Hall

I recently posted some information in the P3D forum but I feel that pictures may convey the message better.

P3D 2.5 has had its shadow rendering optimised I now love the terrain shadows, gone are the hard edges instead a beautifull shading to add depth to your mountains etc, but I found many people were not utilising to autogen vegetation recieve shadows, this is a HUGE plus for turning your autogen into realistic vegetation, vegetation cast is also great but you can gget away without it if your system is struggling, I find that to have every shadow turned on does not have a detrimental impact on my system, maybe 5FPS the LOD and autogen density seem to have more impact, so better to reduce the lod and density a tiny bit and turn on the shadows. the difference is amazing.

here are some screen shots comparing shadows recieve ON compared to the OFF

Examine this shot closely do your trees have the depth of this shot, read on and check out some comparisons, P3D excells with its shadows and they are not as demanding on your system as you may have found with previous versions of P3D.

UVLnJIeR7p1S79f55865b064b6d5.jpg

No recieve or cast  shadows here and the ground under the trees is way too light
BA4CI0Ew2JdvbVi55865b0d2ebc8.jpg

Compare to this shot where the cast and recieve are on, cast is more effective in this senario as the terrain needs the tree shadows
xlx9DB75swFq77C55865b13d2859.jpg

late finals and the terrain shadows are giving depth to the trees on the right, some trees only the top onf the canopy is lit up, Ive been doing landscape paintings for years and this is what we should see
MjLnav4lyiZrhRV55865b1916aab.jpg

Shadows ON and in this one there is also a cloud shadow over the cliff
pbVbHU7rAXrXDz055865b1e7ff52.jpg

Shadows ON
XIF53WwXvrVArzg55865b258ad1b.jpg

Shadows recieve ON notice the trees on the shaded side of the hill now blend with the terrain
YujupZYQtudSlX255865b2b5d519.jpg

No vegetation recieve here, trees on the shaded side stick out like lollie pops

P6umlKQZBZxHmKg55865b3109aa9.jpg

I hope that some of you were able to gain something from this.

cheers

Ken

Thanks for this Ken.

Some great shots and explanations on how to improve how the scenery.

edit. Just happened to be sitting on the ground at Christensen Ranch airport with a forest of palms next to the runway.

Changed the vegetation shadow settings and the result is amazing.

I totally agree: P3D with its trees/objects shading really has one over on FSX. I just wish they'd sort out their water and cloud shaders (yuk!).

Adam.

with regard to the water they did provide me with an adjustment to the HDSL shaders which lightened the water to spot on, Ive lost thet setting but will contact LM and ask for it again, its a simple fix and will give you much nicer water , stay tuned for the mod,

cheers

Ken

with regard to the water they did provide me with an adjustment to the HDSL shaders which lightened the water to spot on, Ive lost thet setting but will contact LM and ask for it again, its a simple fix and will give you much nicer water , stay tuned for the mod,

I'd be keen to see that one, Ken. I've been following all sorts of home-built code tweaks for the shaders, but it's really something LM should be doing. They're standard C++ files - nothing fancy.

I managed to tweak the clouds code a bit to make the distant "cotton-wool effect" clouds fluffier, but there really need to be changes in the repetition/randomness of cloud generation. If FSX can get it right, I can't see why P3D can't.

I wonder whether your fix lightens all the water or just that "oily/black" stuff when looking vertically down.

Adam.

Here s the mod

go to your

P3D/shaders HDSL/GPUTerrain.fxh

replace with the attached file, go to app data/LM/shaders folder and delete( please back up your shaders HDSL before doing this)

you can tweek the Terrain.

use these notes from Kevin to adjust

If you want to test increasing the brightness more for the base texture to provide more feedback,
 you can modify GPUTerrain.fx line 881 “BaseColor *= lerp( .35f, 1.0f, fAlpha );â€.
You can play with increasing the .35f toward a level that you think is more acceptable.
 We are always welcome to visual feedback.
The changes that might be causing the darkness are related to how we go about
blending the reflections / base textures together.

the attached file has a value of 6.5f

heres a screenshot showing the coral at Pago

VUu8jkdUf0w3szx5588c103e5274.jpg

cheers

Ken

water shaders mod.zip

Thanks Ken - love the Islands .

Installing the mod and firing up the sim as I speak .At last I may have a grip on ocean colour ( I dont touch FSWC ) .Water is the big eyesore atm , particularly inland water . Maybe LH is going to do something about it ?

Cheers

Ken - here's the result of that revised shaders file:

p3_water_shaders_1280.jpg

Hard to see the difference in these shots, but in the sim it's a lot more noticeable. This was with their suggested value of 6.5f (from 3.5f). I may try it even higher.

Thanks!

Adam.

Ken - here's the result of that revised shaders file:

p3_water_shaders_1280.jpg

Hard to see the difference in these shots, but in the sim it's a lot more noticeable. This was with their suggested value of 6.5f (from 3.5f). I may try it even higher.

Thanks!

Adam.

you'llfind its effect is more for photoreal, those shots are of landclass/waterclass, try around pago, the 6.5 is the value I came up with after testing, but I did try 7.5 as well, good luck with finding wich value appeals to you

cheers

Ken

Ken,

Can't find P3D/shaders HLSL/GPUTerrain.fxh.  BUT can find Shaders HLSL.  Is this a misprint, or am I looking in the wrong place?  Thanks,

Kev

go to your 

P3D/ShadersHLSL/GPUTerrain.fx and replace the GPUTerrain.fx with the attached file

cheers

Ken

This is around NZQN (on a really cloudy/wintry day):water_shader_02_862_1280.jpgwater_shader_01_954_1280.jpg

Shader value at 7.5. Thanks, Ken - my P3D water is looking much better all-round now!

Adam.

Those shots look great, glad I could help, I've been trying to get LM to adjust these in the default shaders, time to remind them again.

Cheers

Ken

Archived