Pronunciation

ojiito

So I just found out that the pronunciation of 'Skagit' sounds like 'gadget', and not like 'bag-it' like I thought.  If that makes any sense.  

Just putting it out there, obviously I'm not from the PNW...

Ah yes.   Any others...?

I've heard Kenai pronounced K'nay, when it's more like Kee-nigh.   It's hard to change these things in your head when you've only read them a certain way.

I didn't know that!

If we're not limiting it to scenery, there's a Scottish town near Glasgow called Milngavie, pronounced "Mulguy", rhyming with "buy".  I suppose it is in the Scotland scenery, but there's no airfield.

When I first moved to Alaska, I kept pronouncing Wasilla like 'tortilla', after having lived in New Mexico most of my life with all its Spanish names.  I also said Valdez wrong.

And Cordova, come to think of it.

When I first moved to Alaska, I kept pronouncing Wasilla like 'tortilla', after having lived in New Mexico most of my life with all its Spanish names.  I also said Valdez wrong.

And Cordova, come to think of it.

That would have helped

http://www.greatlandofalaska.com/reference/pronounce.html

During my first stay in the US looooong ago, the (much) younger French that I was learnt that you don't say TUK-SON but TOO-SANN ::)  for that beautiful city of Az.

Alex I'm definitely with you on this one.  Before I make an "official" flight from a new airport I sit in a parking spot to make sure ATC  properly announces the airport's name as opposed to it's letter identifier.  If it's the letter identifier, then off to Editvoicepak I go.  For the longest I had ATC calling Darrington ( DAR-ring-ton) as opposed to (DARE-ing-ton). It took me many touch n goes in and out Darrington before I got the incorrect pronunciation out of my head.  Here's a little guide I have saved under my favorites.  This should help   :)

http://www.stevensauke.com/say/northwest.html

For foreigners it's almost impossible to know how some town and place names in the us, australia or the uk are pronounced. I remember asking for directions in scotland and no one knew what i meant because i got the pronunciations dead wrong. Australia also features some absurd names like Wagga Wagga, Humpty Doo and the like. You never know until you heard it from a local.

In december I was in NYC just to learn that my former pronounciation of "Staten Island" and "Houston Street" had been wrong all along. More like "Statten" and "Home" (only this way SoHo and NoHo actually make sense now :D )

The one that gets me, is "Key-bek" vs "Kay-bek" vs "Kwi-bek"... The phonetic for Q... all as common as each other.

Personally, I'm in the "Kwi-bek" camp ;)

Here in Quebec we say kaybek ^-^

Anyone (who's not a local) fancy a go at pronouncing this one?

That is the most excellent name for anything I have ever seen.

Here in Quebec we say kaybek ^-^

I think that's what the phonetic alphabet people say it is, as far as aviationspeak goes.

Not quite the same topic.  I'm amused when ATC will occasionally pronounce "lima" as "lye-ma", as in lima bean, instead of "lee-ma", as in Lima, Peru.

Not sure about these days as I haven't flown in the U.S. for a while, but I think even the automated AWOS voice used to say Lye-ma.

Once got off a plane in London after three years in Asia. Was really looking forward to hearing English all around me again. Got on the bus only to find that I had three Cockney guys sitting behind me. I never understood a word they said. I guess it's all in where you have grown up.

Once got off a plane in London after three years in Asia. Was really looking forward to hearing English all around me again. Got on the bus only to find that I had three Cockney guys sitting behind me. I never understood a word they said. I guess it's all in where you have grown up.

There's probably an intensive language course you could go on, "Learn to speak Cockney in only 6 months", that sort of thing.  I'm still struggling with the exclamative and interrogative cases, innit?

I remember getting lost one day, not long ago, walking in central London, asking my way to a (cockney) postman. He was very kind, understood what I said in my French accented English but I couldn't make out a word of what he was saying ! He showed the way like for a mute with signs :smile: , fortunately I was very close. I had a similar experience a long time ago in Edimburg.  Never had this problem in the US or anywhere else in the world :lol:.

A lot of the guys from not U.S. I've worked with have a hard time with the strong Texas/southern drawls, which is more than understandable.  One pilot from Bordeaux would kill us trying to impersonate a Texan guy we were working with, he certainly had the right idea oh man it was a riot.

I remember getting lost one day, not long ago, walking in central London, asking my way to a (cockney) postman. He was very kind, understood what I said in my French accented English but I couldn't make out a word of what he was saying ! He showed the way like for a mute with signs :smile: , fortunately I was very close. I had a similar experience a long time ago in Edimburg.  Never had this problem in the US or anywhere else in the world :lol:.

This is also a problem for Brits from outside London - I quit asking and now use the local A-Z map guide when I visit.  I can cope with most British accents, but Cockney, Geordie (Newcastle) and Nairn speech still leave me puzzled.  I also have less problems elsewhere in the world, and I'm a Brit! ::)

In most cases it's not really the accent (vowels and intonation), but the diction (glottal stops, words running together, local expressions) that causes people problems.

I'm actually from Hull (in Yorkshire, Northern England) which has its own unique accent that even most other Brits have a hard time with... when I moved to Washington State USA, most social events had me saying something, immediately followed by a polite nod and the other person looking all confused at my wife as if to ask for a translation ;)

Since then my accent has softened into a sort of "hybrid" accent... but as soon as my mum calls, if come right back...

Churchill's famous comment about the British and the Americans comes to mind: "Two peoples separated by a common language." On the other hand, I've never met an English speaker of any nationality who did not immediately recognize the word "Beer" no matter the accent with which it was pronounced.

Archived