MEIGS?

I once worked with a guy who had worked at the skunk works.  His name was also Kelly Johnson.  He said kept getting phoe calls at work that were supposed to be directed to THE Kelly Johnson.

BTW...Kelly was Johnson's nickname.  His real first name was Clarence.  He picked up the nickname Kelly in high school n Michigan.

Noel

Interesting ... Meigs Field has always been associated with MS Flight sim for me over the years, Aerosoft did an add on of this a while back, definitly interested in an ORBX one.

Maybe they should quarantine this thread, too.

Then redo Meigs translated into modern ORBX, announce it, and wait for everybody to buy it.

Which many will......

I suppose? Struggling to see your point really :)

At the end of the day, ORBX will release this scenery or not.

Meigs Field was awesome though, learnt how to virtually take off and land there since at least FS4, then gradually go explore until later revisions of MS FS started including the whole world!

I will never forget being 12 years old back in 1984 and saving all my allowance to buy Sublogic Flight Simulator 2 for the Apple IIe, and the countless hours I spent flying around Meigs and trying to figure out how to land there. This would make a fantastic ORBX airport to see the FTX quality in a legacy Flight Sim airfield. 

It was a first for Static and Dynamic Aircraft so it would be amazing to see it with PeopleFlow. It would bring out that 12 year old in me once again  :D

Oh yeah - an ORBX Meigs field freeware that looks EXACTLY like it looked on my Commodore 64 in the 80s!!!!

(plus an option in the control panel to switch it off)

I bet a few of us would like a "modern interpretation" of what it could look like nowadays. Perhaps some industrial-strength wind chimes, a new "Kicking Cow Chargrill" to get that $100 burger, maybe a new "R.M. Daly" toilet block...

I suppose? Struggling to see your point really :)

At the end of the day, ORBX will release this scenery or not.

Meigs Field was awesome though, learnt how to virtually take off and land there since at least FS4, then gradually go explore until later revisions of MS FS started including the whole world!

Don't really have one.

I was interested in Meigs because I like it, and wondered how many ancient simmers like me were still breathing without oxygen at sea level.

In the real world Meigs and its demise really don't matter much, but this is a fltsim forum and given there are really no current iterations that really work well floating around I thought it would be interesting to see how may agreed that an "iconic" historical airport would be popular.

Besides, I think it would sell well and I'm sure selling product is a topic ORBX management is always interested in.

We will see.

I have a freeware copy that I like reasonably well after tweaking it with AFX. I have startup flights for both my wheeled and float versions of the Kodiak based at Meigs.

Yesterday I purchased and installed Aerosoft's Chicago hoping to get a better Meigs. That was a mistake. It's rendition of Meigs is pretty sorry. I'm back to the freeware one I tweaked.

For a veteran flight simmer like myself Meigs is a must have. It was MSFS in it's toddler stage along with New York and San Francisco. We watched it grow up along with MSFS.

Meigs is the oldtimer's flightsim grandchild. I will always have one with me no matter how retarded it might be; always hoping it will improve. Orbx has the opportunity to make that happen for us.

Noel

I have a freeware copy that I like reasonably well after tweaking it with AFX. I have startup flights for both my wheeled and float versions of the Kodiak based at Meigs.

Yesterday I purchased and installed Aerosoft's Chicago hoping to get a better Meigs. That was a mistake. It's rendition of Meigs is pretty sorry. I'm back to the freeware one I tweaked.

For a veteran flight simmer like myself Meigs is a must have. It was MSFS in it's toddler stage along with New York and San Francisco. We watched it grow up along with MSFS.

Meigs is the oldtimer's flightsim grandchild. I will always have one with me no matter how retarded it might be; always hoping it will improve. Orbx has the opportunity to make that happen for us.

Noel

Every one of the freeware ones I've found either won't install right, or if they do, they wind up messing with my ai traffic. 

I guess it could be a loading issue with my priority settings.

Don't know.

Noel

I dont know about Aerosofts Chicago scenery, but that company definitely released a separate Meigs Feild add on with the spirit of the old sims, they included an option too of a new Chicago spiral tower that was condemned before it started for the same reason Meigs was crushed... I know I should have read the freaking manual first but when I asked for help on their typical Germanic  tuton precise forums I was made out to be a pirate!

Then there was the whole Snave affair that Matthias let him off with scot free for far too long, he was physically driving and insulting customers away, and if anyone complained Mattieas would say in broken English text as he does ... hey, Snave is a prick but he knows about a product we have.

I'm pretty sure even the boss's at Aerosoft have banned Snave now, but this is one simmer who will consider deep and hard buying anything from Aerosoft again for many reasons.. ...

Gone clean off Aerosoft these days, dont even feel like firing up any of their products out of protest

EDIT: and shaking myself up here ... if ORBX were to do Meigs Field ... they have my money

I dont know about Aerosofts Chicago scenery, but that company definitely released a separate Meigs Feild add on with the spirit of the old sims, they included an option too of a new Chicago spiral tower that was condemned before it started for the same reason Meigs was crushed...

Yep, that's Aerosoft's US Cities - Chicago offering, and the Meigs implementation is really not much better than mid-level free-ware quality.  And BTW, Meigs being ripped up and the Chicago Spire failing are two completely different things.  Meigs was ripped up by Hizzoner Richard M. Daley as part of a personal vendetta he had with the airport.  It's a long and sordid tale.  The Spire failing had nothing to do with City government and everything to do with developers' who's eyes and aspirations were far greater than their pocketbooks.  A lot of money was lost and a lot of lawyers got rich.

Scott

I will never forget being 12 years old back in 1984 and saving all my allowance to buy Sublogic Flight Simulator 2 for the Apple IIe, and the countless hours I spent flying around Meigs and trying to figure out how to land there. This would make a fantastic ORBX airport to see the FTX quality in a legacy Flight Sim airfield. 

It was a first for Static and Dynamic Aircraft so it would be amazing to see it with PeopleFlow. It would bring out that 12 year old in me once again  :D

This sounds very familiar... except I was 16 and had a II+.  ;)

As a Chicagoan, I do want to point out that the park built where Meigs existed is a very popular concert venue....and probably draws more people than Meigs ever could. But, the way Meigs was ripped out overnight  remains a great loss for aviation, as well as business and GA flyers.

back in the days when I was an entertainment reporter for a Chicago radio station (where I am still employed), I and other journalists were flown up to the Lake Geneva  WI Playboy Club for their latest shows, and flown back, in and out of Meigs. It was absolutely astounding to descend on approach  with buildings along the lakefront, such as Hancock Center so seemingly close you would think you could reach out and touch them.

Sherm

As a Chicagoan, I do want to point out that the park built where Meigs existed is a very popular concert venue....and probably draws more people than Meigs ever could. But, the way Meigs was ripped out overnight  remains a great loss for aviation, as well as business and GA flyers.

back in the days when I was an entertainment reporter for a Chicago radio station (where I am still employed), I and other journalists were flown up to the Lake Geneva  WI Playboy Club for their latest shows, and flown back, in and out of Meigs. It was absolutely astounding to descend on approach  with buildings along the lakefront, such as Hancock Center so seemingly close you would think you could reach out and touch them.

Sherm

It was even more astounding when you couldn't see them .

Like 1/4 mile visibility.

Chicago has always been one of my favorite cities. When I was going Air Force weather forecasters school at Chanute AFB near Champaign I used to week-end a lot in Chicago. Ride up in the morning on the City of New Orleans and back on the same train in the evening.

My wife and I try to make it there by Amtrak every couple of years. The museums where you can go aboard a German U-Boat or an early Zephyr or spend an afternoon at Navy Pier. It's a wonderful city and has a vibrant feel about it like no other city I have been to.

Noel

Popular, perhaps, but well planned and practical as currently configured, or in harmony with the original plans to turn the "island" into a nature park?  Perhaps not so much.  The Museum Campus area already suffers from a dearth of good public transportation (try catching a bus at or near closing time for the Field Museum, Adler Planetarium and Shedd Aquarium), and access in and out of Northerly Island all funnels through the neck of land leading out to the Planetarium, a situation made worse given the recent large expansion of the concert venue.

Full disclosure - I was born and raised in Chicago and will always consider myself a Chicagoan, but I have not lived there in decades - I'm only a regular visitor and avid follower of all things Chicago these days.  And I also freely admit to my biases as a GA pilot, but I'm still convinced that the city threw away a valuable asset when Mayor Daley (v2.0) arbitrarily, and illegally, bulldozed the place quite literally in the dark of night.  And yes, I'd be near the front of the line if Orbx' "skunkworks" released a good KCGX!

Scott

Agitate me all you want JV. Haven't spent a night in a hospital since 1933 when I was born in a hospital. Never had a broken bone or surgery for anything. Been stitched up in the emergency room a couple times but never stayed long enough to even have lunch.

I have this nagging thought that when it happens to me it's gonna be big!

Noel

Archived