FSX all over again!

Laurie Doering

if you are starting out again, I am surprised you didn't start with P3Dv2....heading into the future and not the past.

P3Dv2 will exceed the resolution and realism of FSX in the future? I really don't see an advantage of one over the other at the present time. Sometimes FSX looks better and vise versa depending on where you are flying.

P3Dv2 will exceed the resolution and realism of FSX in the future? I really don't see an advantage of one over the other at the present time. Sometimes FSX looks better and vise versa depending on where you are flying.

That's really not true! What's about cloud shadows, object shadows, vegetation shadows, aircraft shadows on it self, also in the cockpit (and this without the never ending tweaking of of DX10), volumetric fog, ets. etc...

And just in case you are not interested in all these goodies and disable them then your performance and fps will dramatically increase compared with FSX and all this without any blurries. There are so many people complaining about performance issues and blurries within FSX. Why don*t these folks just invest a few bucks and get P3D2.4 and just run it at FSX level (i. e without the P4D2 specific features). But I'm OT now. 

Consider Steve's DX10 Fixer as an alternative to jumping into P3D. With this easy to use add-on, FSX will be far more stable and the improved graphics are simply a bonus. I highly recommend it for anyone still using DX9 in FSX, as it addresses almost all the issues that have prevented wider adoption of the DX10 mode.

http://www.flightsimstore.com/product_info.php?products_id=2630

Cheers,

Noel.

laurie more power to you with fsx, i use p3d most of the time but i am considering putting fsx dx10 back on with just orbx global base and a few airports, i miss my pmdg like i am having withdraw symptoms, noone should try and force someone onto a platform they don't want to use.itching for norway pretty bad as well. happy holidays

Consider Steve's DX10 Fixer as an alternative to jumping into P3D. With this easy to use add-on, FSX will be far more stable and the improved graphics are simply a bonus. I highly recommend it for anyone still using DX9 in FSX, as it addresses almost all the issues that have prevented wider adoption of the DX10 mode.

http://www.flightsimstore.com/product_info.php?products_id=2630

Cheers,

Noel.

Indeed, if you go with FSX (like me), don´t do it without Steve´s Fixer. You may look for "DX10" tagged posts here in the forum...

That's really not true! What's about cloud shadows, object shadows, vegetation shadows, aircraft shadows on it self, also in the cockpit (and this without the never ending tweaking of of DX10), volumetric fog, ets. etc...

And just in case you are not interested in all these goodies and disable them then your performance and fps will dramatically increase compared with FSX and all this without any blurries. There are so many people complaining about performance issues and blurries within FSX. Why don*t these folks just invest a few bucks and get P3D2.4 and just run it at FSX level (i. e without the P4D2 specific features). But I'm OT now. 

We folks have FSX running well. We folks will sit back and wait for a real improvement like 32bit.( which will be a whole new version, with a whole new price and whole new compatibility game, just like V1 to V2)  We folks know that NOT everything we have invested in, like scenery and aircraft will work with P3D V2. To each there own.

FSX DX10 rocks my world! I think P3D is the same engine with an oil change and maybe some chrome valve covers....LM is probably using it for R&D and funding to create the real new flight sim in the future. :) I will be waiting a few more years yet before I get all excited about changing.

I have both Prepar3D V 2.4 and FSX (DX10 Fixer running) and I am currently using FSX over P3D. After testing and tweaking both, and installing all my A2A aircraft and FTX scenery on both, on MY rig, FSX actually runs smoother, faster AND looks better. Not by much, but enough that I spent days testing the two of them together on MY system before I could make up my mind. And, my install of FSX is AS stable as P3D as well.

Bottom line, both FSX (DX10) and P3D V2 are BOTH very capable sims. You could do well with either. ;)

Wow, I have been missing (or not missing depending on your point of view) an intense debate while I have been away. Thanks for all the insight.

You are correct Laurie, you have NOT been missing said debate :) It is a ridiculous topic TO debate. But then, we simmers  seem to enjoy debating the pointless. And we sure do have our opinions too ;)

Dont want to hijack this thread but - I'm running FSX DX9 right now, so should I go to DX10 and Steves fixer, or can I stay with DX9 and run Steves Fixer, or is it only for DX10?

Don

Don,

Steve's Fixer is ONLY for running FSX in DX10 Preview mode. That being said, once you do that, you should see no reason to ever run it in DX9 mode again, so long as your graphics card is DX10 capable that is :)

I think P3D is the same engine with an oil change and maybe some chrome valve covers....LM is probably using it for R&D and funding to create the real new flight sim in the future.  I will be waiting a few more years yet before I get all excited about changing.

I'm with you on that one Doogles, I don't a see a revolution and for everything P3D does better, I seem to see things that aren't that great.

Are there any other files to install besides SP1 and 2 before installing my FTX terrain downloads?

Yes, you need to install the proper UIAutomationCore.dll, most prefer v6.0.5840.16386 as far as I know.

You may sometimes think  that flight simulation is a religion complete with antagonistic sectarian churches and gurus :).

Your experience of P3D is very dependent of two elements :

- your hardware, as you need not only a strong computer like for FSX but also a powerful graphic card  to get the goodies that even a "Dx10 fixed" FSX doesn'tprovide, specially the environment shadowing and HDR which gives a new depth to the landscape that  you cannot reach in FSX

- and, like any sim, striking the right balance of  the display parameters knowing that sliders scale is not quite the same as in FSX. At the same notch, you get more in P3D so pushing sliders all the way to the right is not a good idea as it was shown yersterday in another thread. 

After almost 4 months, I run almost exclusively P3D flying A2A, Sibwings (and soon I hope RealAir, come on Rob & Sean  :) !) in OrbX lands in a 30+  framerate sim (most of the time) with clouds and terrain shadowing terrain and a nice sea heave. When I get back to FSX to check something, I find it "flat" almost cartoonish (no depth) . YMMV, that's my experience..

Now, if you want to stay with FSX, I would indeed advise you to get the DX10  fixer if your card is DX10 ready. The color palette is much nicer and the ride smoothier because the card will take charge of more of the processing. 

Last thing : Lockheed Martin allows you to try P3D for 60  (sixty !) days  and will refund your money  if you're not happy.

Again, what I meant above is: you can't compare apples with oranges. P3D2 has so many more features than FSX and enabling all of them might cause problems on some systems.. But if you run P3D2 at the same (lower) level as FSX and the same scenery/graphics settings, (so not using all the P3D2 extra goodies), performance and looks of P3d2 will be far better than FSX' (even FSX DX10). 

But if you run P3D2 at the same (lower) level as FSX and the same scenery/graphics settings, (so not using all the P3D2 extra goodies), performance and looks of P3d2 will be far better than FSX' (even FSX DX10). 

Not for me, even putting P3Dv2 settings at the lowest, FSX at high settings still performs better for me.... I gave up on P3Dv2:(

Last thing : Lockheed Martin allows you to try P3D for 60  (sixty !) days  and will refund your money  if you're not happy.

Thanks, all great info. Well, looks like I should give P3D a try especially if there is a money back guarantee. I assume it is the $199 package I need.

There's a lot a lawyerish BS in the forums about choosing between the Acdemic and Pro from people trying to read between the lines. I went for the Academic and I'm glad I did. Both are identical except that the Academic has a tiny greyish logo in the upper right of the screen that I honestly don't see on my 27" 2560*1440  monitor. And its only 60 bucks. The Pro is more for people using P3D with a commercial aim of making money out of it (flight school for instance).

There's a lot a lawyerish BS in the forums about choosing between the Acdemic and Pro from people trying to read between the lines. I went for the Academic and I'm glad I did. Both are identical except that the Academic has a tiny greyish logo in the upper right of the screen that I honestly don't see on my 27" 2560*1440 monitor. And its only 60 bucks. The Pro is more for people using P3D with a commercial aim of making money out of it (flight school for instance).

Ok thanks. I'll try the $60 version. But I will have to re-buy the P3D scenery packages (that are only compatible with P3Dv1) that I initially bought for FTX.

No, you don't 8) . Orbx has been releasing "triple installers" for their older products (FSX, P3Dv1,P3DV2). They can be downloaded at FSS, free of charge if you already own a FSX version. They are waiting  for you in your FSS account. More than half of the products have already been "converted". In other words : you own an FSX version, you get the p3D version free.

Using P3D or FSX, you should get them as these installers come with the latest version of the sceneries.

Archived