Majestic Dash 8 or Bae 146?

Mac_Maddog88

Which one? They both are STOL passenger planes, which is really all I know about them.

Which one has better documentation, where I can read up on it, run through a checklist realistically, and fly?

Which one has better framerate?

Which one can take off in a shorter distance?

And which one is better as far as systems?

I'd really like a STOL passenger plane and am torn between these two.

Any help would be appreciated!

unless you have alot of patience and time i would leave the dash 8 alone,i have watched a few friends in multiplayer set the dash 8 up,the fmc seems to be the most confusing plane i have ever encountered,on the other hand airline2sim offers a training program for the dash 8 and could be very rewarding if you are willing to learn it,if you are talking about the qw 146 i however own that plane and its pretty easy to learn and i found several youtube videos that will get you from cold and dark and up and flying in no time.i don't spend alot of time with it but the 146 collection from qw is a nice set of planes and nicely detailed.one last thing the dash 8 is the only plane i have seen simulate ice i the leading edge of the wings.

I'm not a friend of complicated FMCs or stuff like that, and I opt for the Dash8. You read through the manual, do the tutorial flight and after a short time you have memorized the workflow (checklists) and the FMC. And then you have a lot of fun with the Dash 8, I recommend it all the way.

The fms in the majestic dash 8 is almost entirely accurate to the real thing... it's complex and you need to know where to look for things, but once you get into it, it's actually quite intuitive and powerful.

Fms aside though, I have both the quality wings 146 package and the majestic dash 8... I'm a little biased being a real world q400 pilot, but the majestic dash 8 has the edge... systems are replicated flawlessly, the flight model is very accurate and the performance is much better than the 146.

It does take a little getting used to, but it's extremely rewarding when you do...

I only have experience with the Dash8, and I do not feel it is too complicated. From the enclosed tutorial flight I have written some checklists, which guide me through all the procedures - and it works well, even in case of unexpected changes by ATC.

Funny, I did fly both all day for my next video.

I rarely use FMC-FMS so I can't speak on that matter but for sure the Q400 is more complex.

I love the AP of the Q400.

2 regional airplane....

FPS: Q400 big time but the 146 is far from bad, I would say 5 top less.

Documentation: Well I don't read much either but the Q400 as more dept stuff.

Stopping distance, the Q400 but not by much, remember that the 146 as no trust reverser.

Full flap both have low stall speed.

Take off, I think the 146 win. The Q400 is not a beast in regard of power. The Q400 feel more modern with a lot of emergency noise.

The BAE 146 version as a nice call up in regard to speed, take off and landing call. I didn't fly the RJ since the BAE was release so maybe it as it??? 

Look, they honestly both look very good, way above average, inside and out. The QW 757 VC already look a bit older compare to the 146

By the way, I'm speaking of the Quality Wing version...

The 146 is easier to fly. The Q400 need trimming at each change of throttle, it's annoying with time. The Q400 can become very unstable in some low speed situation and feel (ASN) sensitive to wind turbulence.

The 146 come ready to fly (almost), the Q400 come in a semi cold start form (but easy to get in a short time).

Landing: 146 big time, noise (I mean it), smoke, suspension... it feel VERY real way more then the Q400.

You are right to be confuse, for me they are way up there for so many reason. Very well design for mid size airport (ORBX).

The 146 & RJ package... 2 full plane (Glass & analog) for one price. 6 size. Many liveries... hard to beat for the price.

It really feel like from the VC like 2 different airplane.

Ouff, I don't want to be you right now.

I think (I said I) that regional plane are a blast, most of my bigger tube are in the sleeping mode in the hangar and I kind of had it with GA plane. If I want GA (Except for the Twin Otter) I take any Cera Sim heli for that. I have NO challenge with GA plane.

Close to them would be the new Aerosoft Airbus 318-319. The most pretty VC i have seen so far. But for me It's harder on FPS.

I hope that this did help a bit. But anyone you choose you won't be deceived, that is for sure.

Good luck, Ben

ps.: report back!!!!!!!

Got the 146. Man, this thing is FUN!

I can start it up real quickly while following the included checklist. It felt a little bare considering I'm used to the DC-9 that I spend about 25 minutes starting, however in reality the 146 was an easier plane to start and fly. Everything about the 146 is just fun, the capability of a steep approach is pretty cool! Getting two planes for the price of one was great, especially since the thing was only $35!

I'll have to wait until later to get the Dash 8, I'd much rather spend half the amount on an amazing airliner and toss in some ORBX scenery. It's funny regarding the 146 how similar the panel is to the 737 Classic. In fact, the autopilot is the same. 

For a first-time buyer from Quality Wings, I can;t wait to see what their future aircraft are like. Thanks for the help guys!

I was interrupted mid-post this morning. I see you've already found out what I was going to say. Yes, the Dash ticks more of your boxes than the BAe, but... The little jet is a blast. Three distinct cockpits with just enough knobs and buttons to keep you occupied (especially after the {awesome} DC9). It looks the part - much more substantial than the DH8. If I HAD to choose, I'd keep the BAe over the Dash. Now you're going to need to keep up with Stu on the screenshot front...

Mike

I also like that QW actually modeled the different variants in flight dynamics.  At least, I'm 95% sure they did because to me at least the RJ-70 for instance feels much more nimble than the larger 100 does.  Maybe it's just "butt dyno" though lol.

Two different beast to me. (turboprop vs jet).

The Q400 works on it´s own module outside of FSX/P3D the same as PMDG dose which in the case of the Q400 is easy on FPS. As for realisim the Q400 beats hands down and is in the big leauge with the PMDG guys. Not to say that the Q400 is in it´s "pilot" edition.  I would say it´s the best entry add-on before moving on to the big tubeliners from PMDG or iFly.  The BA 146 is more like a "I want realisim but...." so it all depends on what you want. The Q400 is not that hard to learn and you have a bunch of info and videos out there.  If you want the best for your money, the Q400 is your plane.

If you want jet power, have a look at the Milviz 737/200, you have three cabin options with or without FMC, great fun and alot of options like flying without FMC via VOR´s the old school style, just like the DC-9 from Coolsky/McPhat which is awsome!

Good luck and have fun!

PD.: Bare in mind that if you ever move to P3D the Q400 is compatibale with P3D!

The 146 is great value for money but, seriously, the BAe overhead panel is a complete mess!   :P

If you love those approaches, and want to practice a variety of them in a short time, the QW aircraft are capable of saving and reloading their complete panel states, including all of their FMC data. So you could save a flight some 60 nm out of your destination, and start different approaches from there.

"Out of the box" this only works for the last situation saved, but it's possible to save and retrieve multiple states with a little manual copy and paste.

The Q400 is brilliant, although not without flaws. Almost every system is modelled faithfully, just like PMDG but with better framerates! This is my favourite aircraft for FSX and has been since it came out. The sound of those twin turboprops has to be heard to be believed. It also flys just like it should, so landing it well is always rewarding. My one gripe is that I can't get the spot view to work properly; it seems to work the same as the locked spot view. But really, I spent all my time in the perfect VC anyway, so who cares?

Cheers,

Noel.

Bear in mind that if you ever move to P3D the Q400 is compatible with P3D!

.....and so is the Quality Wings 146.

I do not have the Q400, but I do have the 146, and I now use it in P3D v2.4. It's a beautifully stable aircraft, and can be operated from pretty short runways if you avoid full loads. The sound effects (including the engines and touchdown effects) are excellent, although I seem to have problems getting the flaps sound to play. I could never get these to work when extending the flaps in FSX, and now I can't hear them full stop! I don't really know why this is the case (since the wave files themselves play fine outside the simulator), and the QW guys can't seem to replicate the problem.....

Nevertheless, the 146 is a fantastic STOL airliner, and for hand flyers like me, it's a winner! 8)

I'd say both.

They are fantastic, and, even with FMSs that might confuse an Airbus/Boeing pilot at first sight, they are easily mastered if you follow the bouncing ball.

I couldn't choose which one first (I'll leave that to the more qualified among us), but I'd say to make sure you have both in your hangar.

One thing that hasnt been mentioned yet (or I missed it) is that the Q400 also has the added benefit of having FS2Crew available for it.  I was not a FS2Crew fan before ever using it based off of the videos that I've seen of it online but having brought it and use it now, its an amazing tool to both provide immersion and reduce the workload for the PIC.  Add in the ground crew of GSX and you have a great flight from cold and dark to shutdown.

I'd say both.

They are fantastic, and, even with FMSs that might confuse an Airbus/Boeing pilot at first sight, they are easily mastered if you follow the bouncing ball.

I couldn't choose which one first (I'll leave that to the more qualified among us), but I'd say to make sure you have both in your hangar.

The FMS for the Avro part of the QW package is actually really easy to use (I keep looking for stuff from the NGX one when I go back to it).  The older 146's though definitely have a more confusing FMS but it's probably just down to some practice on that.  

unless you have alot of patience and time i would leave the dash 8 alone,i have watched a few friends in multiplayer set the dash 8 up,the fmc seems to be the most confusing plane i have ever encountered,on the other hand airline2sim offers a training program for the dash 8 and could be very rewarding if you are willing to learn it,if you are talking about the qw 146 i however own that plane and its pretty easy to learn and i found several youtube videos that will get you from cold and dark and up and flying in no time.i don't spend alot of time with it but the 146 collection from qw is a nice set of planes and nicely detailed.one last thing the dash 8 is the only plane i have seen simulate ice i the leading edge of the wings.

Brett, is there anyway of getting liveries for the Bae 146? I'm sure QW 146 collection doesn't seem to come with any liveries apart from the QW logo ones and I'd certainly fly it more if I had some liveries. ??? Thanks in advance for any assistance.

More on topic, I'd say 146 for ease of use and quick leisurely flight but Dash 8 for systems and fuller realism and immersion but as Brett says, will take some patience and a longer learning curve, for me anyway.

Brett, is there anyway of getting liveries for the Bae 146? I'm sure QW 146 collection doesn't seem to come with any liveries apart from the QW logo ones and I'd certainly fly it more if I had some liveries. ??? Thanks in advance for any assistance.

More on topic, I'd say 146 for ease of use and quick leisurely flight but Dash 8 for systems and fuller realism and immersion but as Brett says, will take some patience and a longer learning curve, for me anyway.

There's a ton of liveries for it on the QW website http://www.qualitywingssim.com/liveries.html.  AVSIM and Flightsim.com also have some user created ones and I picked up a few Australia liveries for Quantas and Cobham over at the OZx site.

There's a ton of liveries for it on the QW website http://www.qualitywingssim.com/liveries.html.  AVSIM and Flightsim.com also have some user created ones and I picked up a few Australia liveries for Quantas and Cobham over at the OZx site.

That's just great Flyinion! Thank you so much for all the pointers my friend. I hadn't realised any of that but I'm looking forward to more time in the 146 with liveries now!

Thank you very much! :smile:  :smile:

Dash 8

But I am biased as the Dash 8 was made on Toronto and so was I. Dash 8 is made in the same factory that made the Beavers and Otters decades back. Lots of history at Downsview Airport. 

Matthiew, here is the full story, my uncle work for de Havilland Canada so I know a bit.

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Bombardier_Dash_8

It all started with the dash 7, I real STOL plane but t was not good fuel wise:

28270_1213482933.jpg

Early 300 series cockpit:

Dash_8-300_cockpit.jpg

Q400 as we know it:

Q400_flight_deck.jpg

Ben

Archived